New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    [SIZE="4"]Message to parents getting louder: No screaming babies allowed!
    [/SIZE]
    by Dory Devlin, Shine staff, on Thu Sep 9, 2010 4:03pm PDT

In the latest burst of anti-kids-in-public news, a North Carolina restaurant is making headlines with signage that does not quibble. “Screaming Children Will NOT Be Tolerated!” read signs at the the Olde Salty restaurant in Carolina Beach, N.C. And while some parents have expressed concern that they are singling out disabled kids, most patrons have responded well.

Brenda Armes, the restaurant's owner, told the local NBC affiliate, WECT, the clearly stated message has been good for business. "It has brought in more customers than it has ever kept away," she said.

It's one more line in the sand(box) by adults who believe tolerance of cranky, crying, noisy (or quiet-breastfeeding) kids has a definite limit when they are around on a plane, in a restaurant, in a bar.

In Brooklyn, N.Y., the bar Union Hall took a lot of heat from parents/customers when it attempted to ban strollers. But the Double Windsor bar near Park Slope still followed up with a decision to ban babies after 5 p.m. As New York Magazine's Daily Intel reported, they did so with humor in signs that read, in part, that though the establishment is quite sure their customers' babies were "really mature for their age," they are just not old enough to legally drink alcohol. One "BAN KIDS FROM RESTAURANTS!" Facebook group has sprung up with 162 members. Even attendees of the Coconut Grove Arts Festival, it seems, had negative opinions about all of the strollers with kids in them at the Miami event.

Up in the skies, a recent poll by Skyscanner, a fare-comparison website, found that almost 60 percent of travelers would love it if airlines demarcated a families-with-children section on airplanes, meaning they would love to sit in child-free zones. And, nearly 20 percent of travelers said they would rather fly on completely child-free flights, period.

All of which begs the questions: Are people becoming more intolerant of kids, noisy or not, in public places? Or are more parents who bring their kids with them everywhere tuned out to how their sometimes noisy offspring may be affecting those around them?
    http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/paren...lowed-2388887/

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think this idea would be great in airplane flights, especially on long haul flights. Group all the people traveling with kids in one section so the rest of the passengers can have some peace of mind.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    They should also include adults who is very noisy inside the plane or any public transportation, you should try to take a bus or train in china, jezzzz, sobrang ingay!!!!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    I wonder if hospitals are included
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I think this idea would be great in airplane flights, especially on long haul flights. Group all the people traveling with kids in one section so the rest of the passengers can have some peace of mind.
    I'd love to see that happen. One of my most excruciating flights was when I had a kid seated behind me and he kept on kicking the back of my seat the whole time (nagkukuyakoy). I was hoping that the parent would discipline his child but after almost an hour, I couldn't take it anymore and I had to tell the parent to ask his child to stop what IT was doing.

To make matters worse, this same parent's other baby was crying from the time the plane took off to God knows how long. The rest of the kids were rowdy naman. They must have occupied the right and middle seats so they were at least 7. They brought along at least 3 children all under the age of 10 and it seems like the parents don't care at all that their children were a nuisance. Imagine staying in a flight with a child kicking your seat, a screaming baby and noisy children. I couldn't wait for the plane to land.

I may never understand until I become a parent.
    Last edited by _Cathy_; September 13th, 2010 at 06:05 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    I'd love to see that happen. One of my most excruciating flights was when I had a kid seated behind me who kept on kicking the back of my seat the whole time. I was hoping that the parent would discipline his child but after almost an hour, I couldn't take it anymore and I had to tell the parent to ask his child to stop what IT was doing.

To make matters worse, this same parent's other baby was crying from the time the plane took off to God knows how long. The rest of his kids were rowdy naman. The brought along 3 children all under the age of 10 and it seems like the mother doesn't care at all that her children were a nuisance. Imagine staying in a flight with a child kicking your seat, a screaming baby and noisy children. I couldn't wait for the plane to land.

I may never understand until I become a parent.

Situations one would love to open a window (if at all possible) and throw the kid out of the airplane for some peace and quiet...
    Last edited by ghosthunter; September 13th, 2010 at 06:05 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    OT: Has anyone here experienced flying during the time when smoking was still allowed in the plane and being a PAL FA was still prestigious?

Air travel until the 80s was still very exclusive so I am assuming mostly cultured people travelled then.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    OT: Has anyone here experienced flying during the time when smoking was still allowed in the plane and being a PAL FA was still prestigious?

Air travel until the 80s was still very exclusive so I am assuming mostly cultured people travelled then.
    I'm trying to recall... I do know I've ridden on smoking flights in the past, but as my dad smoked three packs a day seven days a week when I was I kid, I never really noticed the smell...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

NEWS: No screaming babies allowed!