New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    I think the reason why we're so backwards, is that we poke fun of mistakes other people commit. Instead of helping them out and refraining from making any comment, negative remarks are said that ultimately bring the effort to try speaking English properly and fluently, into futility. Here in the US, if you do something out of the ordinary, as long as people know you're trying to better yourself, they will support you and provide you with constructive criticism. I pray it will be that way over there, eventually.

true. the problem here is people that dont speak English fluently are developing inferiority complex, because some people made fun of them when they are committing mistakes while communicating in english.

im a chinese and honestly i see myself not that fluent in speaking english. but in our chinese culture, when a filipino or anyone not chinese that tries to speak our language, we are very happy or pleased even if his/her chinese is "barok". the reason is we see the efforts of the person that he/she wants to learn our language.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    Hai!

If the soccer ball represents their human technology, would you really want that to meet your biggest organ? :bwahaha:

'Soft touch' daw yung bola. Ayoko pa rin.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; November 18th, 2008 at 07:03 PM.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by russpogi View Post
    Nowadays, English is indeed "feared". Try talking to the general youth today: they can hardly speak one decent sentence in straight English. I blame the media for this: English-language shows being dubbed in Filipino. What for? Do they think that Filipinos would not be able to understand if the show is in English?
    Right on! Why, when we were kids, all the primetime TV Shows were in English! There were sooo many English-language animated shows! (Voltes V, Mazinger Z, <insert your favorite robot animation show here>, etc...)

Now, compare that to the people who where in their youth during the 80's, 90's and below: they can speak perfect English most of the time. Why? Because most of the things in print and mass media is in English at that time. All these WITHOUT losing their native tongues (like Tagalog, Bisaya, Kapampangan, etc.).
    Pero, itong mga officemates ko, lagi na lang sinasabi, "di ko maiintindihan iyan, Ingles kasi, e," kahit na hindi totoo... well, madalas din naman silang meron hindi naiintindihan, pero, not all the time. But that attitude is the problem.

Plus, perhaps because they were made fun of in the past when they made mistakes in English, many people nowadays are very defensive -- they won't even accept corrections, whether or not suggested in a nice way or not. They'd often have the common knee-jerk reaction, "Aba, English class pala ito, akala ko, ______ forum sa internet." It's a vicious cycle.

Haaay, naku.
    Last edited by woohoo; November 18th, 2008 at 06:40 PM.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    hehe

Bogeyman, wana join the miritary?

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    ^^ Just when you thought you had enough headaches as a civilian. :D
    Last edited by Bogeyman; November 18th, 2008 at 07:13 PM.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Stop making fun of my Japanese heritage! It's very imporite!

But the Japanese actually seem very proud of their Engrish... it stands as yet another mark of their eccentricity.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Actually, the Japanese have very little use for English anyway, which is why they treat English words the same way we treat Japanese kanji: largely for cosmetic purposes.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Don't get close to this car!

it's...

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    3 basic needs of man:

1. Air

2. Water

3. This bag

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004

So this is where they keep the office 'suppries'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Never fear English