New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    MVP will never trust another speech writer...

Thought you might be interested in taking another look at the speech of MVP, given last March 27,2010 to the graduates of School of Humanities and School of Social Sciences, ADMU, as compared to the speeches of JK Rowling, Oprah and Conan O'Brien. Truly disappointing.. .

JK Rowling's Harvard commencement speech can be found here:
    http://harvardmagazine.com/commencem...ce-imagination

Manny Pangilinan's Ateneo commencement speech can be found here:
    http://ateneo.edu/index.php?p=120&ty...ec=25&aid=8211

Just some examples...

JKR: I had no idea then how far the tunnel extended, and for a long
    time, any light at the end of it was a hope rather than a reality.

MVP: I had no idea how far the tunnel of failure extended. And any
    light at the end of it seemed more hope than reality.
    ---
    JKR: The knowledge that you have emerged wiser and stronger from
    setbacks means that you are, ever after, secure in your ability to
    survive

MVP: The knowledge that you have emerged wiser and stronger from
    setbacks means that you can be secure in your ability to survive.
    ---

JKR: So today, I wish you nothing better than similar friendships. And
    tomorrow, I hope that even if you remember not a single word of mine,
    you remember those of Seneca, another of those old Romans I met when I
    fled down the Classics corridor, in retreat from career ladders, in
    search of ancient wisdom: As is a tale, so is life: not how long it
    is, but how good it is, is what matters.

MVP: So today, I wish you nothing better than similar friendships. And
    tomorrow, I hope that even if you remember not a single word of mine,
    you will recall those of Seneca, one of the old Romans i met in search
    of ancient wisdom: --as is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but
    how good it is, is what matters.

Oprah Winfrey:

Here it is: http://news-service.stanford.edu/new...mo-061808.html

Oprah: But having a lot of money does not automatically make you a successful person. What you want is money and meaning. You want your work to be meaningful. Because meaning is what brings the real richness to your life. What you really want is to be surrounded by people you trust and treasure and by people who cherish you. That's when you're really rich.

MVP: But having a lot of money does not totally make you a successful person. What you want is both money and meaning. You want your life and your career to be meaningful. Because meaning is what brings real richness to your life, to be surrounded by people you can truly work with – because you trust and treasure them, and they cherish you in return. That‘s when you‘re really rich, that‘s when you really succeed.

http://everything2.com/title/Conan+O...+Class+of+2000

More from Conan O'Brien's Harvard speech (2000) in the SOH/SOSS graduation speech:

MVP: I‘ve had a lot of success. But I‘ve had a lot of failures. I‘ve looked good. I‘ve looked bad. I‘ve been praised and criticized. And it hurt like hell. But my mistakes have been necessary.

CB: I‘ve had a lot of success. But I‘ve had a lot of failures. I‘ve looked good. I‘ve looked bad. I‘ve been praised and criticized. And it hurt like hell. But my mistakes have been necessary. ... See More

MVP: Coming from the Ateneo, I know that the pressure to succeed is immense. In fact, your biggest liability is the need to succeed.

CB: As graduates of Harvard, your biggest liability is your need to succeed.

================================================== ======

The FF is an official e-mail exchange between MVP and Fr Ben. Please do read. - UPDATED 7:50pm 3April2010.

Emailed at 5:20pm

Dear Father Ben

Easter greetings!

I have been told last night that portions of my graduation remarks - in particular my address to the Schools of Humanities and Social Sciences - had been borrowed from certain other graduation speeches. I had taken a look at the side-by-side comparison * Facebook, and must admit to this mistake.

For this, I wish to express my sincerest apology to you, the University and to the 2010 graduating class.

I have had some help in the drafting of my remarks, but I take full and sole responsibility for them.

In mitigation perhaps, the body and substance of my speech represented my own story and my thoughts. And I have labored long hours to get those speeches done. It is my hope that their impact has not been lost on the graduates. That said, this post fact event I am certain has devalued the words I have uttered at graduation - whether original or copied.

I am told further that comments posted on Facebook have started to spill beyond graduation, and are now alluding to my misconduct with respect to Meralco, with former President Erap, and so forth. Under the circumstances, it is best for the Ateneo and myself to shorten the life of this controversy and prevent it from spinning out of control.

Fr Ben, this has been a source of deep personal embarrassment for me. I am truly regretful for it. I already have too many battles to fight, and some of them I wish not to have to fight. In this instance, I do not want to, and would seek only the honourable and principled way out. The matter at hand may rest after this public apology, but it gives me a lot of personal discomfort to continue to be closely involved with Ateneo affairs after this incident. I am afraid the damage has been done - wala talaga akong mukhang ihaharap pagkatapos.

With much regret, Fr Ben, I would wish to retire from my official duties at the Ateneo.

With all good wishes to you and to our graduates.

M. V. P.

------------&&&&&------------------------------
    Emailed at 7:14pm

Dear Manny,

I received your apology just a few minutes ago and feel how deeply embarrassed and pained you are by this event. We realize that this was a mistake and we respect and appreciate your taking responsibility and your immediate apology.

At the same time, we know that this happened without your full awareness, though you take full and sole responsibility. Thus this does not diminish our admiration and respect for your person and for your care and accomplishments for our country and for the Ateneo. In
    fact, your acceptance of responsibility and apology command our utmost respect.

In reading again through your speeches, we also see that indeed the main part of your speeches were your story and your thoughts. We thank you for taking so much time to craft them and to share them with us and our graduates. We are deeply touched by this sharing of yourself.

Again I realize how profoundly embarrassed you are by this event and that you believe that resigning from official duties at the Ateneo is the principled thing for you to do. However, reflecting on the events and circumstances, I cannot quite agree and believe with many others that what is appropriate is the apology you have given. Neither can I agree with you that "wala talaga akong mukhang ihaharap pagkatapos." I would thus like to take up your retiring from official duties at the Ateneo with our officials and Board of Trustees and discuss it further with you.

It is Easter Vigil and may the Risen Christ be Light to you.

Fr. Ben, S.J.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    haha

saw that the other day

dumb speechwriter

the speechwriter thought nobody will notice

the speechwriter underestimated the audience

the audience is highly intelligent, well-read, well-informed

if that speech was used on a less sophisticated audience, maybe nobody would notice

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Well, at least he owned up to it. Which is more than what other people would do under the circumstances.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    he had to own up to it

the evidence is so clear he can't deny it

he can't explain or wiggle his way out of it
    Last edited by uls; April 5th, 2010 at 11:59 AM.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Whew! Just goes to illustrate how careful you should be with such engagements.....

I saw in one news that he even admitted that he cheated when he was in HS at San Beda?.....

9606:hippie:

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I met a Pinoy engineer who is working in Singapore. He told me the reason he got the job was he doctored his resume to make himself look good.

In Japan, some apartments have pay telephones inside. You have to put coins in to use it. Naturally, resourceful Pinoys managed to get around this by doing something to the phone so they can make free calls.

Dishonest Filipinos are everywhere.

The honest Filipinos are either elbowed aside or, like the Ateneo case, hoodwinked by cheats.
    Last edited by donbuggy; April 5th, 2010 at 03:11 PM.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    News release before the the blog storm. Is there a law against speech plagiarism...?

MVP: Money's cool, but so is meaning

MANILA, Philippines - Businessman and sports patron Manny V. Pangilinan urged graduates to seek to have both money and meaning in life.

In his commencement speech at the Ateneo de Manila School of Humanities and Social Sciences delivered March 26 and 27 to two sets of graduating students, Pangilinan said that while money is an important measure of success, people should also lead meaningful lives.

"Let me define what success is. Let me tell you, money‘s pretty cool. I‘m not going to stand here and tell you that‘s it‘s not about money, because money is sweet. I like money. It‘s good for buying companies and things – and for putting up a few buildings here and there for Ateneo. But having a lot of money does not totally make you a successful person. What you want is both money and meaning. You want your life and your career to be meaningful. Because meaning is what brings real richness to your life, to be surrounded by people you can truly work with – because you trust and treasure them, and they cherish you in return. That‘s when you‘re really rich, that‘s when you really succeed," he said.

Among the over 2,000 graduates of Ateneo's 150th year include ABS-CBN News reporter Maricar Bautista, and Iris Cecilia Gonzales, reporter of Philippine Star, who both completed Master of Arts, major in journalism.

Pangilinan, who has funded several school buildings in the Katipunan campus, was given an honoris causa, Doctor of Humanities, by the Ateneo de Manila University, his alma mater, for his "inspirational leadership, his enlightened philanthropy, and his generous giving of self to others."

The chairman of telecommunications giant, Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co. (PLDT), Smart Communications, and several other big companies, also told graduates to learn from their failures as these impart valuable lessons for success.

"Nobody‘s life is seamless or smooth. We all stumble. We all have setbacks. If things go wrong, you hit a dead end – as you will, many times in your life – it‘s just life‘s way of saying – time to change course," he said.

"Failure taught me lessons about myself that I could have learned no other way....The knowledge that you have emerged wiser and stronger from setbacks means that you can be secure in your ability to survive. You will never truly know yourself, or the strength of your relationships, until both have been tested by adversity," he added. "So graduates, always remember this – success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts."

Graduation advice

Pangilinan gave the graduates "some old-fashioned, feel-good graduation" advice:

"First, hug and kiss those who helped get you to this day – parents, grandparents, friends, teachers. If you’re too shy or uptight to do that, please do the old fashioned handshake thing. But I recommend a hug and a kiss. Don’t let the sun go down today without saying thank you to someone.

"Second, don’t forget that you have a body under your toga. Take good care of it. Engage in sports. It‘s fun, and it is a laboratory for victory and adversity. How an athlete celebrates his triumphs, or overcomes defeat or injury, how he deals with a hostile crowd or a critical media, reflects what life is all about. Indeed, sports offers a richness all its own – it is a metaphor for life.

"Third, remember you have brains under that mortarboard. You‘ve been running it like crazy for four years, whining about all the books you’ve had to read, the papers you’ve had to write, the tests you’ve had to take. Yet thanks to that versatile, gigabyte hard-drive of yours, and a million Starbucks cups, you made it today.

"Fourth, give one peso for every ten you earn. I saw my mother pass away 8 years ago, and she left this world without anything. Which means you’re not the owner of what you think you own – you’re only a steward, because everything‘s on loan. So pass some of it on. If you don’t, government will just take it anyway."

8. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    maybe the writer whoever he is just ff this "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism.To steal from many is research."

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by donbuggy View Post
    I met a Pinoy engineer who is working in Singapore. He told me the reason he got the job was he doctored his resume to make himself look good.

In Japan, some apartments have pay telephones inside. You have to put coins in to use it. Naturally, resourceful Pinoys managed to get around this by doing something to the phone so they can make free calls.

Dishonest Filipinos are everywhere.

The honest Filipinos are either elbowed aside or, like the Ateneo case, hoodwinked by cheats.
    haha

you're right

in this world, if you're too goody-goody honest, you won't get ahead

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    News release before the the blog storm. Is there a law against speech plagiarism...?
    di naman illegal

pero nakakahiya

considering he's a highly respected CEO

tapos di original speech niya

why didnt he come up with something orginal?

isn't he supposed to be some smart dude?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
MVP Ateneo Speech Boo Boo