New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I use the BPI drive thru when I go to BF A former colleague was also a victim. Her ATM was wiped out

BPI clients warned vs ATM scam
    From a report by Maan Macapagal, ABS-CBN News
    Posted at 08/04/2014 8:48 PM | Updated as of 08/05/2014 5:19 PM

MANILA – Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) customers are being warned over a scam involving illegal withdrawals from the bank's automated teller machines (ATM) in Sucat, Paranaque.

One bank depositor, “Robert” (not his real name), said P80,000 were withdrawn from his account in separate transactions on July 27 and July 28.

“It’s impossible for me to withdraw P80,000 over the weekend because my ATM was with me,” he said.

Bank data showed that four withdrawals were made from his account each amounting P10,015 in an RCBC ATM branch and Metrobank ATM branch in Super 8 grocery in Sta. Rosa, Laguna on July 27.

Two more withdrawals of P20,000 each were made from Metrobank ATM Super 8 grocery in Sta. Rosa and in BPI Imus, Cavite at around 12:35 a.m. early Monday.

“Ang ginawa ng perpetrator, hinintay niya mag-umaga ng mga 12:30 para next banking day na agad,” said Robert.

Another victim, “Myra” (not her real name), said she lost P100,000 from her bank account on August 2.

“At first I thought nalilito lang ako sa computation ko,” she said.

Six withdrawals were also made from her account in ATMs in Quezon City and Subic, Zambales.

“Kaya ka nga nagde-deposit ‘di ba, kaya nga ‘di mo nilalagay ang money mo sa house o sa closet is precisely secure ‘yung money mo tapos ganun ang mangyayari,” she said.

Other victims surfaced after Robert shared his experience, most of whom were depositors of BPI ATM branches in BF Homes Aguirre and President’s Avenue.

“I had about six to seven people who shared the same thing,” said Robert.

BPI has returned Robert’s money while also vowing to return the full amount to Myra.

“BPI immediately investigated the matter after receiving the reports. The account of the affected client has been fully rectified and the amount reimbursed upon confirmation of the incident,” the bank said in a statement.

BPI admitted that it has received reports regarding “abnormal transactions on a specific BPI ATM.” The bank urged its clients to report any suspicious incidents.

“BPI remains committed to the security of the accounts entrusted to us, and we would like to assure the public that our ATMs are equipped with security systems which we constantly upgrade with the latest available technological enhancements. Nevertheless, we know that there will always be attempts to break through these systems, and that phishing, skimming and similar criminal acts have become an industry-wide concern. We urge the public to be very vigilant and immediately report such incidents to us,” it said.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Yup,- I saw this in the news yesterday and so I logged in to my bpiexpressonline account to check.

We used to engage the services in those branches in the recent past as we pass by the area going home. We still do, going to the office in the morning,- but we are always in a rush and so none these days.

Anyway,- if we read again, this does not make sense (to me)... "It's impossible for me to withdraw P80,000 over the weekend, because my ATM was with me..."...

“Familiarity breeds awe”
    23.9K:thud:

3. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    ^ Dala lang ng inis at stress yan. Ikaw ba naman ang mawalan ng 80,000.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yan ang kinakatakot ko sa mga ATM kaya pati online banking lagi ako naka monitor.. Ang ginagawa ko all my major Account I will make sure na all amounts are round off para hindi ako malito sa pag monitor. Pag meron mga barya at at mga hindi round off into thousand.. Inililipat ko agad sa BPI trade or other savings account na konti lang laman..Minsan kasi sa dami ng transactions kina tatamaran mo na mag monitor. Make sure na you will keep all the notification confirmation pag medyo malaki ang transactions nyo at mga billing payments online.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005

In my case, BPI is our company's payroll account (the other is BDO).

It is an ATM account(current), yes, but I never used it. I only transact through the bpiexpressonline.

I have another ATM account (savings) that I use as my "scratch pad",- meaning I transfer limited amount of money on it for my emergency/foreseeable requirements. So, I am limiting my exposure to any ATM-related fraud/issue.

It's a totally different story though if the bpiexpressonline is compromised....

“Familiarity breeds awe”

6. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    similar incident happened in 2002
    also in a BPI ATM in Sucat

| philstar.com

Ok, so the depositor went to the nearest BPI branch with a stand- alone ATM machine outside (most BPI branches in the Metro have) along Sucat Road in Parañaque, where the victim was at that time. After all the necessary keys for a withdrawal were pushed, the words "This machine does not dispense cash" came out on the screen. The victim upon reading the electronic advice that there was no cash in the machine patiently waited for the machine to give back the ATM card. But this did not happen and as the victim was trying to retrieve her card, someone came along and told the victim that a similar incident had happened to him and offered to help retrieve the card, but to no avail. Disappointed, both of them left.
    So, it was a Sunday. You need cash. You go to the ATM machine to withdraw. Your card gets swallowed – no card, no cash. ATMs are convenient? Tell me about it.

But that’s not the whole story. When the victim went to the bank branch where the ATM machine that swallowed the card was located, the said BPI branch declared that the said card was nowhere to be found. And when the records were finally put together a whopping P80,000 plus have been withdrawn from the account from several ATM machines in the metro. Inadvertently, the victim was also apprised by one of the clerks that that was the fourth reported case on the same machine on that particular weekend. When the victim went further to report the incident to the mother branch of the account, some BPI insiders confided that the scam has been known (either only within the BPI alone or in the banking circles was not made known) and even has a name for it – Lebanese Scam.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kinda weird though..... diba BPI only allows 20k withdrawals per day? pano nakakuha ng 80 in two days? dapat mga 40k the most.
    anyway, btt, it can happen to any banks because in reality ATMs can be skimmed....
    that's why i dont keep my money in banks..... i usually keep them at home. may kaha de yero kami for day to day expenses.... sa payroll, i usually withdraw everything all at once.
    my investments are all in mutual funds and in insurance companies. si misis naman, time deposits lang and nagtitira lang sya ng mga 2k sa ATM payroll account nya for emergency use lang.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Bro.,- for BPI, you can sign a form in your Branch of account that can open up the amount that is withdrawable for the day...

“Familiarity breeds awe”

9. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gold ATM is allowed to withdraw up to 50k/day

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I wanted to check my BPI account upon hearing the news but I could not use my personal laptop because it might have some kind of virus

To minimize my risk, I will just withdraw in one machine, closest to where I work.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast