New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    After the tugboat/minibus carcass being passed as a river ferry, another MMDA hare-brained idea. The pedestrian lane along EDSA-Corinthian-Camp Aguinaldo was converted to bike lanes...

MANILA, Philippines - (UPDATED 4:52PM) Two more bike lanes will be opened by the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) on March 26 in hopes of encouraging more people to use alternative modes of transportation amid worsening traffic conditions arising from the simultaneous road works on 15 projects.

MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino said the new bike lanes will be opened on Epifanio de Los Santos Avenue: from Ortigas to Santolan (northbound) along EDSA and another from White Planes from EDSA to Temple Drive.

"We will be adding more bicycle lanes to promote street and neighborhood identity, increase foot and bike traffic and reduce vehicle congestion along major roads," said Tolentino.

The MMDA maintains bike lanes along EDSA between Magallanes and Ayala Avenue in Makati City and on Commonwealth Avenue in Quezon City.

Coming soon: Bike-kadahan, bike shelters

Meanwhile, the opening of the 2-kilometer bicycle lane will come with two other schemes by the MMDA the ‘Bike-Kadahan’ or bicycle-sharing scheme, and mobile bike shelters using trailer trucks.

Under ‘bike-kadahan’ interested riders may use bicycles provided by the MMDA for free. They just have to present a valid identification card in exchange for a card indicating the bike number. The card should be surrendered at the exit area where the bike will be returned.

For the shelter, a small trailer truck will serve as mobile bicycle shelters on designated bicycle lanes in various parts of Metro Manila. The mobile station will allow authorities to re-deploy bikes, for instance, to the university belt, while the España flyover is being constructed.

The trailer can accommodate up to 50 bicycles.

According to Tolentino, riders may also leave their own bicycles at these bike shelters for free. MMDA personnel will man these shelters for safekeeping under the MMDA Bike Lanes Project Office created on December 10, 2012 under Administrative Order Number 06 Series of 2012.

Tolentino has stressed that besides providing an alternative way for people to move around, bike lanes are eco-friendly, easing the burdens posed by carbon emissions on the environment. Earlier, the MMDA also put up a 1.75-kilometer-long bike lane from Remedios Circle to Adriatico Street and a 550-meter stretch from President Quirino Avenue to the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP) in Manila.

Similar lanes have also been set up along the entire whole stretch of Marcos Highway connecting the cities of Marikina and Antipolo in Rizal province.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Well, it *is* very eco friendly -- the MMDA gets to use the lungs of bikers as filters for the pollution along EDSA....in addition to the passengers waiting for public transport, who btw will most likely spill over to EDSA as they've been displaced by bike lanes.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    How ironic. MMDA retards showing off the new bike lane/s, and not apprehending an even retarded retard, driving his motorcycle without a helmet in the middle of EDSA.

Take a look at the second picture above. :D

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    And just look at the pedestrian being forced to walk flush right beside the steel railing. Sa sidewalk ka na lang nga pinaka-safe(though not absolutely safe) along EDSA, ngayon iilagan mo pa yung nakabike.

If the sidewalk is really that wide, i think they're better off adding another lane there.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    anything for publicity....

e kung ung MRT train na laging sira e tangalin na lang, ung riles tangalin na din.

tapos mga bus ang gamitin sa MRT lane, mura na mabilis pang solution para sa mass transport system.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post

laki ng ULO hindi magkasya sa helmet, sana malaki din ung laman.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    bobo itong mga MMDA na to eh!
    ini-email ko sila para sa suggestion kong
    zipline.
    dinededma ako eh!

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    it doesn't make practical sense:

If i take the bike lane:
    - i pay 50 pesos
    - i have to pedal myself to my destination
    - i breathe in all the pollution
    - how soon i get there depends on how fast i pedal...and it doesn't seem like there's much leeway to overtake

If i take the bus or MRT
    - i pay X pesos(aabot ba ng 50 pesos yung buong stretch ng bike lane?)
    - i ride on a bus/MRT
    - i breathe in (relatively) clean air
    - in the case of the MRT, in only takes minutes

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    ^

One has to pay 50 pesos to use the bike lane?

WTF??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I thought it was for free!

Haynako.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Lol at 50 peso fee. Maintenance fee? The eff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast