New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Santiago shut out of Supreme Court

By Armand N. Nocum, Juliet Labog-Javellana
    Inquirer News Service

A HIGH-POWERED Constitutional body yesterday slammed the door on moves to push firebrand Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago as next Supreme Court Chief Justice.

Voting 6-2, the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) quashed a bid by Santiago's supporters to extend the deadline for the submission of nominees to the post of Chief Justice so that the senator could be included on the list.

"If we grant the extension just to accommodate her and she is chosen, it might not look good for her and the judiciary. It might be perceived as a political accommodation," House Deputy Speaker and JBC member Simeon Datumanong told the Inquirer before the Council started its meeting that resulted in the decisive vote.

The JBC recently narrowed down its choices for the post of Chief Justice to Associate Justices Artemio Panganiban, Reynato Puno and Leonardo Quisumbing.

---

Hehehehehahahahahohohohoho.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Santiago loses bid to become first woman Chief Justice

First posted 07:10pm (Mla time) Nov 25, 2005
    By Tetch Torres
    INQ7.net

(UPDATE) SENATOR Miriam Defensor-Santiago has lost a chance to be the country's first woman Chief Justice.

Voting 6-2, the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) had decided Friday against extending the nomination period to accommodate Santiago’s candidacy.

The former regional trial court judge was nominated by the Young Lawyer’s Association of the Philippines (YLAP) to replace Chief Justice Hilario Davide Jr., who will retire on December 20.

But Santiago’s nomination was filed five days late on November 15.

At a press conference earlier, Santiago said she had no intention of joining the justices at the high tribunal despite prodding for years from some people.

“That will not happen,” Santiago said when asked when she could be called chief justice.

Those who nominated her, Santiago said, wanted to get “rid of me in politics and throw me into the judiciary and seal [me] off from my beloved media.”

The two JBC members who would like the nomination period extended are Senator Francisco Pangilinan and Justice Secretary Raul Gonzalez.

The other members of the JBC are Davide, Congressman Simeon Datumanong, Justice Regino Hermosisima, Dean Amado Dimayuga, Atty. Jay Conrado Castro and Justice Raoul Victorino.

Screening of the three qualified candidates -- Associate Justices Reynato Puno, Artemio Panganiban and Leonardo Quisumbing -- will be held on December 1 and 2.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    well... ganun talaga...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    hahahaha buti

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    pls God help us...pls

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Those who nominated her, Santiago said, wanted to get “rid of me in politics and throw me into the judiciary and seal [me] off from my beloved media.”
    now I know why they call her somewhat crazy.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Go. Miriam... Go.. GO.. Go...Mirriam... Go... Go... HOME

8. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix
    "If we grant the extension just to accommodate her and she is chosen, it might not look good for her and the judiciary. It might be perceived as a political accommodation," House Deputy Speaker and JBC member Simeon Datumanong told the Inquirer before the Council started its meeting that resulted in the decisive vote.
    Translation:

"If we let her in, and she is chosen, it would not look good for the future of overall mental health in the Philippines. It might be percieved as intellectual sabotage."

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    She is not healthy...physically and mentally,,,

10. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    The second woman President sana kung hindi nadaya....I wonder kung ano na kaya ang sitwasyon ng Pilipinas kung ibinigay sa kanya ang presidency noon....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Miriam Santiago may be RP first woman chief justice