New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Which is better to learn?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mandarin

7 87.50%
  • Amoy

0 0%
  • other

1 12.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    pero ok din amoy fookien....

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    Amoy aka Xiamen is a place and not a language, they speak Fukien in that area of China.

TS if you do international business then learn Mandarin if just regional business then Fukien is fine.
    hahaha, nakakahiya chinese pa man din ako

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Thanks so much guys for your insights

Ah yes, fukien, that was mentioned by some for local business. Quite common daw.

I do have have suppliers from China that I talk to over the phone from time to time so I guess Mandarin will come in handy. It's kinda hard to distinguish the two. It would also help if I could understand what they are talking about whenever I'm around them

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Mandarin would be easier to learn between the two. Mandarin have the pinyin to help you pronounce chinese/mandarin words.

from Wikipedia:
    Pinyin, or more formally Hanyu Pinyin, is the most commonly used Romanization system for Standard Mandarin. Hanyu means the Chinese language, and pinyin means "phonetics", or more literally, "spelling sound" or "spelled sound". Developed by a government committee in the People's Republic of China (PRC), the system was initially approved by the Chinese government on February 11, 1958. The International Organization for Standardization adopted pinyin as the international standard in 1982,[3] and since then it has been adopted by many other organizations. Since January 1, 2009, it is also the official romanization system in Republic of China (ROC). It is used to teach Chinese schoolchildren and foreign learners the standard pronunciation of Mandarin Chinese, to spell Chinese names in foreign publications and to enter Chinese characters (hanzi) on computers.
    Sa Fookien, you have to memorize the pronounciation of each word

In the end, whichever dialect you choose to master, if you don't speak it often, makakalimutan mo rin yan.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Good day, Tsinoy here and I speak Fookien and Mandarin. For me it's better to study Mandarin coz like what was stated this is our national language. Almost all Chinese know how to speak this, Fookien is a dialect mainly used by the Chinese migrants from Fujian province.

Good thing I still know my Chinese lessons and Mandarin from way back, at least my 13 years of study did not go to waste.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    If you are dealing with chinese at the mainland, you should learn mandarin, all chinese mainlanders knows how to speak mandarin but not all mainlanders know how to speak fukien or cantonese.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Mandarin would be easier to learn between the two. Mandarin have the pinyin to help you pronounce chinese/mandarin words.

from Wikipedia:

Sa Fookien, you have to memorize the pronounciation of each word

In the end, whichever dialect you choose to master, if you don't speak it often, makakalimutan mo rin yan.
    Yes that's right, I'm having difficulty with my fookien when it comes to the intonations because the lessons specify this, especially the highs and lows hehe.

Somebody is also offering 'conversational lessons' for Mandarin. Will this be easier on me if I just converse?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Raines View Post
    Yes that's right, I'm having difficulty with my fookien when it comes to the intonations because the lessons specify this, especially the highs and lows hehe.

Somebody is also offering 'conversational lessons' for Mandarin. Will this be easier on me if I just converse?
    Even mandarin has the same requirements for intonations (up, down, up-down, flat) as used in fookien.

Spoken with the wrong intonation, a word can mean the exact opposite of that you meant to say.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ans_lim168 View Post
    Good day, Tsinoy here and I speak Fookien and Mandarin. For me it's better to study Mandarin coz like what was stated this is our national language. Almost all Chinese know how to speak this, Fookien is a dialect mainly used by the Chinese migrants from Fujian province.

Good thing I still know my Chinese lessons and Mandarin from way back, at least my 13 years of study did not go to waste.
    buti ka pa bro. samantalang ako, basic nalang ang alam

10. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Even mandarin has the same requirements for intonations (up, down, up-down, flat) as used in fookien.

Spoken with the wrong intonation, a word can mean the exact opposite of that you meant to say.
    correct. may mga words na same character, different intonation will give different meaning.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Mandarin or Amoy?