Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post
    OT - oy flipmarc, musta na? tagal mo nang MIA ah
    :victory: Okay lang po sir Buhay parin at tuma taba

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pag ganyan, then I think it's time to join "the mason group" diba sabi nila maraming connections imga members nito...hehehhe

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i know certain companies that hire only candidates from top and reputable schools like UP, DLS, AdMU, UST, CRC, etc.

my personal stand in this is that this is quite unfair, considering that the parents can only afford to send these kids to certain kinds of school due to budgetary limitations, tapos, opportunities for these graduates are quite limited because of such stinking company policies.

but, since my field is in IT, my stance is the same as M2, that is, i hire from experience and look at the attitude of the applicant. imho, again, kaya nga may probationary period eh, if the new hiree does not deliver or goes behind the expectations, then dun ko na lang hindi i-pepermanent.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    NO,but i know some companies prioritize the top 5 schools like (UP, Ateneo de Manila, De La Salle, UST and PLM?)

it would still depends on the capacity of the applicant if he or she will be able to maximize his or her time effort in work.

siyempre, kailangan parin ng work experience.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Realistically, mahilig talaga ang mga pinoy sa "branding" from the clothes you wear to the places you go to and even the school you graduated from. I once posed as an applicant so that I could accompany my friend to get a job pero after the interview and the tests pumunta yung HR at nakipag tsismis sa mga kapwa staff nya to ask kung sino ang tatanggapin nila? Sabi agad nila na yung prominent school nalang and they left out my friend eventhough he was the one that got the highest mark when I peeked at their computer. Mga 7 points ang agwat ng nearest competitor niya.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Nowadays, not much.

10 years ago siguro, napakalaking bagay. I remember the time na I applied at CIS (Corporate Information Solutions) sa Meralco, for a technical position. After graduation kasi, kaliwa't kanan ang padala ko ng resume, kasi atat na akong mag-work at kumita ng sarili kong pera. Kahit fresh grad ako, when they learned that I was from UP, they immediately interviewed me, and expressed interest in hiring me. Tinanggihan ko na lang, kasi hindi naman IT ang background ko, but they said that most of their trainees also came from non-IT courses, and that we were going to be trained. Pero yung mga ibang aplikante na talagang programmers na at Computer Science pa ang course, hindi na nila ininterview, dismissing them with the proverbial refrain: "We'll just call you..."

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    usually pag malalaking companies.. multiple interviews yan.. tapos yung last eh either sa AVP or VP.... tama rin yung nabanggit sa taas.. baka naman with your 10 years of experience eh over qualified ka don sa position kaya hindi ka tinanggap..

reminds me of a long time joke.. sa interview daw.. when the manager asked the applicant.. "tell me what you know".. sagot daw nung applicant.. I know where you and your wife live.. and I also know where your mistress lives.. ayun tanggap agad! hehehe

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Here in the Philippines, your school has effect on your chances to land a job. Most companies prefer graduates of the so called Top 5. While there is merit in the argument that if you graduate from one of the top 5 schools in the land, you may have the work ethic and so on - it is not and should not the case all the time. Excellent students from "lesser" known schools are not given a chance here in the country compared to graduates of the top 5 schools. This is most especially true for excellent students who graduated from provincial schools. I personally know someone who got bumped off a lucrative job offer (even though she topped the exams given by the company) because she did not graduate from a "reputable" school - she graduated from BSU. Bakit? Hinde ba reputable ang Bulacan State University?. I know several people who had it difficult getting a job because they graduated from a "lesser known" school.

I'll cite my wife as an example. She is an accounting person by profession and discipline Modesty aside, she is excellent at what she does and has been tapped by several companies to do external audit and other accounting/finance work. When she was applying for several jobs years ago, she got passed up even if she passed the exams with flying colors. Why? Answer: graduate "lang" daw sya ng PSBA at hinde from those top 5. Recently, she applied for work at a large international NGO. Even if she passed the interviews and exams (nag top sya sa exam sabi ng mole ko) - and got excellent feedbacks/reviews from her character references - she didn't get the job. Bakit? According to my mole, ang gusto daw ng bossing nila eh either grad ng De La Salle, Ateneo or UP.

While most of us say na hinde ito factor - and I respect that - but having worked for almost 18 years, I've interviewed a lot of good applicants who got passed up by the companies that I worked for simply because they are not graduates of DLSU, UP, UST and all those other top schools.

IMO, the equal-employment-opportunity employment here in the country is either not present or not yet mature. Aside from having a bias for graduates of the top 5 school, almost all companies today prefer applicants (for certain positions) who are 35 years of age and below. I have this friend (he's 54 years old) who is an excellent investment analyst (ironically a grad of PUP) who got turned down by companies he had applied for simply because of his age. Now, he works as a call center agent working on the graveyard beat. Take me, for instance. I recently applied for a manager position at another NGO but I got turned down because I'm over 35.

I agree with M2 and the others: companies should hire primarily based on competencies, skills and education. Education meaning if the stude performed well in school - and not where the stude graduated from.

However, from a corporate point of view - I get where they are coming from. They're looking for a good investment in terms of HR and IMO one of the primary reasons why these companies prefer graduates of top 5 schools is because they think that graduates of these top 5 schools have already invested a lot of resources so as to graduate as an alumni of the school. I say "I think" because it does not follow that if you're a gradute from one of the top 5 schools, you're that good. It's just like a prime vine of grape. It doesn't necessarily follow that all the grapes coming from that prime vine would make an excellet wine.
    Last edited by nicolodeon; July 24th, 2007 at 09:28 AM.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    dami pala kaming taga PUP dito!

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    It's not really the school, it's culture. Or the product of a certain culture.

Kung straight la salle ka or straight ateneo or straight ust (as in from kinder to college), iba ang culture mo sa isang tao na galing ng public school system.

Companies are looking for a product from a certain kind of culture. And they look at the SCHOOL to get a clue of what kind of product u are.

------------------------------------------------------------------

same thing naman pag dating sa girls diba?

Gusto nyo ba ng GF na taga La salle? (sosy commercial model agad pumasok sa isip hehe)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Fact is, meron heirarchy sa society natin.

U have the dirt poor jologs at the bottom and u have the Barangay Dasma/Forbes population at the very top. And the rest are anywhere in between.

The top companies prefer people from the top or close to the top. Coz that's where they think the best people are. And the school of origin says a lot about what socio economic level u came from.

Where u were sent to school reflects the financial capacity of ur parents.

I know it's kinda sick with all this unfairness. But that's the way it is.
    Last edited by uls; July 24th, 2007 at 09:59 AM.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
malaki ba talaga effect kung saan ka nagtapos