New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003

LTO publishes intriguing advisory on status of new license plates | TopGear.com.ph

LTO publishes intriguing advisory on status of new license plates
    By Vernon B. Sarne — 04 Feb 2014

So, the Land Transportation Office has put out an advisory on the status of motor vehicle license plates. The first part of the advisory informs the public that for those private cars registered by December 31, 2013, the license plates have already been released by the LTO head office to its "district offices nationwide." It then says: "Should you be denied issuance/assignment of plates by our employees, let us know so that we may pursue the proper administrative action against them."

We find this advisory both funny and alarming.

It's funny because the advisory is practically announcing to the world that the LTO itself is aware of the irregularities (i.e., unreleased license plates) happening in its branches around the country. It's alarming because this advisory is also an admission on the part of the LTO that it cannot do anything about these irregularities--that it is virtually powerless against its own corrupt personnel.

What this advisory tells us is this: Our government can't curb corruption within its own ranks, so the task of doing it now rests upon the public.

And here's the really amusing part: After devoting the first half of the advisory trying to convince people that it is doing its best to fight corruption, the LTO then announces the availability of what has long been a source of graft--the special plate. According to the advisory, if you want special alphanumeric figures for your new plate, you will have to shell out P15,000 or P25,000, because the agency is no longer granting requests for specific last digits. That's more money to be made from motorists who desperately need specific last digits for coding purposes.

The LTO should get its act together. It should stop passing on the responsibility of cleaning its ranks to the people. The agency can very well lick corruption on its own--if it really wants to...
    Last edited by Monseratto; February 4th, 2014 at 04:22 PM.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    What am i missing?

Diba even before may charge na special plates?

Ano ang issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tumaas ang price. dati yung last digit request 3k lang, then naging 8k, and now 15k.

yung 3alpha+2numeric dati nang 25k.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Mahal nga!

5. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cast_no_shadow View Post
    What am i missing?

Diba even before may charge na special plates?

Ano ang issue?
    Kung dati sir sa mga regular plates, pwede mag request ng specific last digit number, ngayon hindi na.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ang issue yata is hindi ka na makakapili ng last digit ng plate. either russian roulette ka sa ending ng plate, which may chance na maging same as iba cars niyo, or cough up at least 15k para hindi same yung end plate.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Ah i see. Big deal talaga yun hindi ka makapili ng last digit. Officemate ko ganyan case, she bought a new car, dumating na plates same day ng coding ng old car niya. Sh*t happens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    tumaas ang price. dati yung last digit request 3k lang, then naging 8k, and now 15k.

yung 3alpha+2numeric dati nang 25k.
    The issue is rather the removal of requests for last digits. Before rolling your brand new vehicle down the road, the dealership will often ask you on what "day" you like your coding day to be. For the more affluent persons who wants to purchase two cars to circumvent the number coding scheme, it kinda sucks if you have Car A with a 1 plate and then your Car B also has a 1 plate.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    I was surprised by this info from my SA last month when I got my Monty. This is actually absurd. Kaya nga nagsisikap tayo makakuha ng 2nd vehicle para maka-adapt sa system na ito di ba?

Another avenue for corruption na naman ito mga tsikoteers.

iwanttime

Hyundai Tucson Theta-II GLS A/T 2010

Mitsubishi Monterosport GLS-V 4x2 DSL A/T 2014

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    This is will only encourage more corruption in the lowest level of LTO offices since what LTO employee of power (the one with access to the plates) cannot resist some under-the-table-extra-income and what new vehicle owner is NOT willing to sacrifice some dough just to get the correct end plate number.

As for the 15K or 25K custom plates, I think its a hassle since it would be like applying for those commemorative plates before wherein you have to provide a few combination of letters and numbers incase it has already been taken. If unlucky, imagine coughing up that amount only to have a second or third choice.
    Last edited by number001; February 10th, 2014 at 11:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast