New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I just got this from the " Innova Thread " it was Posted by sir Robenson.

It was a good read, so I decided to make a seperate thread for this.

Yes, it is long but it's worth the time.

The Real Meaning of Luxury
    by Paulo Subido October 09, 2009

1.) You are cruising along EDSA in your 1.6-liter econo-box doing a reasonable 80kph without a care in the world, when all of a sudden a Porsche 911 comes roaring at you from behind. At first it is a speck in your rearview, and within seconds it blasts through to the horizon ahead. Wow. You then wonder what it is like to be behind the wheel of a machine that can effortlessly glide to speeds twice what your own car can achieve.

2.) You are at a car club meet with your buddies who pamper their subcompact Japanese sedans. Each of you spent the whole day detailing your cars and are beaming with pride. A Nissan GT-R then pulls up in front of your group and parks close by. Your club's thunder is stolen and all of you can't help but drool.

3.) You have a classy event to attend at the ballroom of Shangri-La Makati and you pull up to the lobby. Your date is absolutely lovely, but your ride looks very small (and cheap) in comparison to the big Benzes and BMWs lined up at the front. You love your ride, but at that moment you wish that you could be ferrying your date in style-particularly when she says to drop her off away from the entrance and quickly stumbles out of your car to avoid being seen.

These three scenarios happen all the time. It can't be helped that image and presentation counts for plenty in this city. Who am I to judge how things work around here, though? What I do know is that I'm a car nut with a deep appreciation for machinery and engineering. If you surf TopGear.com and read the magazine you probably are car nuts, too. Now, here's the thing: I consider myself privileged and honored to have a job like this. I get to drive all sorts of cars, and with this ‘duty' a new way of seeing things developed for me. Never do I feel bad about not owning the awesome Subaru WRX STi, the killer BMW 7-Series, or the gangster Chrysler 300C Hemi. I've driven them and loved the experiences, but I'm always careful to keep my feet on the ground. Truth be told, I would rather drive my '97 Lancer every day. I don't envy the lucky owners of these cars, nor do I make assumptions based on somebody's wheels. Although, I do try to flex my powers of observation whenever I get the chance.

Whenever I see a car I sometimes wonder what the owner is like (keeping in mind that I learned a very long time ago that if you judge a man by what car he drives, you still have much to learn). It shouldn't be about the car, actually. What I am observant about is if the ride-regardless of whether it is BMW M3 or Chery QQ-is in good shape. Do the wheels have sufficient tread? Are the taillights, headlights, signal lights and wipers working? Are essential bits and pieces missing from the bodywork? Does it belch smoke? Are the shock absorbers still alive? Those are the "important" things that catch my attention. When I see a car that is in good working order, it tells me all that I need to know-that the owner gives a damn about his (and his family's) safety, and of course, the safety of the countless others that share the road with him. That says plenty enough, regardless of how much the car costs. But, I am human and forget this sometimes. There are countless situations that conspire to remind me about this, though.

I was at the neighborhood car wash one Sunday afternoon. The car I was driving was a very luxurious Mercedes-Benz C 180 lent to me by CATS Motors for the weekend. I will admit that it felt great to be behind the wheel of that thing. Really, you know upon driving it why it costs P2.58 million. While sitting and admiring the Benz's rear end, a white Kia Pride parked beside "my" Mercedes to get a wash. I hate to admit this now but for a second I felt so smug. But then I had to stop myself after this scene transpired before me: The Pride was in immaculate shape-no dents or scratches. An even bigger surprise was how the owner and his toddler son were helping the washboys clean the Pride, while the mother sat patiently and lovingly watched her two "boys." There was obvious attachment and dedication to the car there. Dare I say that the owner was real proud of his wheels, and his son was getting a kick out of helping his dad clean it. It was then that I felt like such a schmuck for looking down on that "lowly" Pride-especially as it seemed like a well-loved member of their family. Needless to say it was another one of those poignant moments for me- and I wanted to kick myself in the head.

The lesson that I want to impart is to love the car that you are driving-whether it is an owner-type jeepney, a Japanese sedan from the early nineties, or a secondhand Tamaraw FX. Keep it in good running order at all times with proper maintenance, fixing what needs fixing as soon as possible.

Practice driving safely a defensively, too. When you get the chance, learn techniques from the racing pros so that when you finally get your hands on that German or Japanese sports car you will know how to truly enjoy it-without causing an accident.
    Lastly, don't ever take your car for granted. When you think about it, in this third-world country of ours even just owning an automobile is a luxury in itself. It's all a matter of perspective-just like how for many using a taxi is considered ‘splurging' when one can take a jeep instead.

You will have the car of your dreams one day. It is always good to aspire for something special and work hard to get it. And believe me, when you do have that BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus in your garage, you will look back and have fond memories of that bucket you used to drive.

That Porsche that just flew passed you like your car was standing still? Keep in mind that it takes plenty of skill to handle a high-performance machine like that, the fundamentals of which you can learn with any car-regardless of the price. Start practicing basic car control. It won't be any less fun in your econo-box. That guy who owns the GT-R? Instead of just being awe-struck, why not approach him? He may be friendly person, and if you are lucky he may even take you around the block. Oh, and that girl who doesn't want to be seen riding your economy car? She definitely isn't worth it.

I think a life without hang-ups will be a luxurious one. Should that be the case, let's start living it up!

Last edited by renzo_d10; October 18th, 2009 at 03:44 PM.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    recently, me and some people are discussing why some people buy very expensive luxury cars and/or high performance cars

most of them say "status symbol lang yan"

for "yabang" purposes daw

sabi ko sa kanila hindi lahat ganyan

meron mga tao na driving enthusiast talaga

bumibili sila ng high performance cars to experience what high performance is really like

it's a zen thing

they are chasing a feeling, a sensation

they like being in the "zone"

same thing surfers experience when they're in the "green room"

wiki:
    In surfing, the green room is the inside of a barrel that is produced by a wave. This term was coined due to the color of light reflected into the barrel.
    somehow its a kinda difficult to make non-enthusiasts understand that there are people who would spend millions and millions of pesos to chase a feeling or sensation

i know people who would go to sleep early Saturday nights so they can wake up early on Sundays for their fun runs and track days

i'm not saying lahat ng may HP cars are driving enthusiasts

meron talaga mga status symbol lang ang habol

pero hindi lahat

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Nice read! thanks for sharing renzo.

There is a lot of truth to his article, its one of the reasons i still hold on to my old sedan...despite having a new ride.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    recently, me and some people are discussing why some people buy very expensive luxury cars and/or high performance cars

most of them say "status symbol lang yan"

for "yabang" purposes daw

sabi ko sa kanila hindi lahat ganyan

meron mga tao na driving enthusiast talaga

bumibili sila ng high performance cars to experience what high performance is really like

it's a zen thing

they are chasing a feeling, a sensation

they like being in the "zone"

same thing surfers experience when they're in the "green room"

wiki:

somehow its a kinda difficult to make non-enthusiasts understand that there are people who would spend millions and millions of pesos to chase a feeling or sensation

i know people who would go to sleep early Saturday nights so they can wake up early on Sundays for their fun runs and track days

i'm not saying lahat ng may HP cars are driving enthusiasts

meron talaga mga status symbol lang ang habol

pero hindi lahat
    Ewan ko, marami din sigurong ganito. Makabili ng maganda para makaakit ng chicks, o magyabang sa daan. ( willie R. )

Quote Originally Posted by aNthraxx View Post
    Nice read! thanks for sharing renzo.

There is a lot of truth to his article, its one of the reasons i still hold on to my old sedan...despite having a new ride.
    No problem. Thanks also to sir robenson for posting such article in the Innova Thread.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    pag dating naman sa luxury cars (S class, 7 series, or equivalent)...

there are people who have made a lot of money but not all of them think alike

there are those who are still practical even if they got a lot of extra money

they would buy practical cars like Toyota Camry or Fortuner

but there are those whose philosophy in buying things is -- kung bibili ka na din lang, why not buy the best? kaya ka nagpakayaman... to experience the best things in life

these are the kind of people who will buy the best things money has to offer

and another thing...

when you move in a society where image matters a lot... where high standard of living is standard... you can't be caught dead in a Vios or Altis

it's not that these people are showing off to people who have less expensive rides... it's not important to them what ordinary people think of them

what's important to them is what people in their society think of them

they are showing people in their circle that they are doing fine

gets?

di sila nagmamayabang sa mga ordinaryong tao

nayayabangan lang ang mga ordinaryong tao sa kanila

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Ewan ko, marami din sigurong ganito. Makabili ng maganda para makaakit ng chicks, o magyabang sa daan. ( willie R. )
    pareho sa mga sinabi ng mga tao na kausap ko

pag may naka super mahal na car, nayayabangan agad sila

pero di pa nila kilala yung tao

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    ^ Right. If you don't have the things that these people have either you admire or hate them. They would seem "show-off" to you.

I don't think Willie bought an R8 and the rest of his car collection to get women and magyabang sa daan. Sinabi nya na kasi dati na mahilig sya sa auto, kitang kita naman. Sabi pa nya yata na nagsisi daw sya dun sa Ferrari kasi nga nagkaproblema kaya R8 binili nya kasi may local dealership

Madami ako kilala na sobrang yaman pero ung mga sasakyan either naremata sa kanila or 2nd hand but spends their money more one family trips. Meron naman na bili ng bili ng kung ano ano pero lahat utang

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Lucius :: Mas okay yung sobrang yaman tas 2nd hand yung car, tas the rest of his money is spent well for his family kaysa sa bumibili tas puro utang, at the end mareremata.

Uls :: You're right, kilalanin muna ang tao bago i-judge. Actually, hindi naman lahat ng may super expensive car is mayabang. Some of them are, yung mga tipong, naka-benz tapos hahambalang sa daan etc. Yun mayayabang.

Pero some, hindi naman, mababait din.

That guy who owns the GT-R? Instead of just being awe-struck, why not approach him? He may be friendly person, and if you are lucky he may even take you around the block.
    Last edited by renzo_d10; October 18th, 2009 at 07:26 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    When I had a meeting in Starbucks Metrowalk, there was a mid-50's guy that arrived in a grey GTR with a very young woman, around 25-27. The GTR came from Emperor by the way, mukhang kakakuha lang tapos may mga sumunod sa table nila na puro babae grabe the man was like a pimp

Pero walang yabang sa kilos nya, ung iba naman luma ung kotse na-repaint lang or naayusan e kala mo kung sino umasta. Kung sa payabangan lang, dun na ko sa mayabang na meron talaga kesa dun sa medyo-medyo lang

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    First and foremost, people need to get rid of their crab mentality. What other people have is none of their business.

There is no line to be drawn to differentiate between what's sensible and what's excess. People who commute probably envy those with any car. People with any car envy those with premium/expensive brands. People with premium cars probably envy those who have more than they do.

It's the attitude that needs to change. It's the main reason why my kids will never live in the Philippines, at least not until that attitude disappears.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; October 19th, 2009 at 12:53 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Love your car [ The real Meaning of Luxury ]