New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I found this while googling...

http://www.travel-philippines.com/lo...ila/Manila.htm

I lived in Manila for 9 years and family and friends who visited me always enjoyed it here. That was easy for them because I had a large apartment to accommodate them, a car to drive them around in and I was their tour guide with lots of local knowledge. Coming to Manila for the first time as a backpacker tourist would be very different and I can't recall having met a tourist yet who really liked it here. I had the occasional tourists stay with me and never had much trouble in transforming their Manila experience into a good one.

If you you are staying in hi-end hotels like the Shangri-La Hotel, New World Renaissance Hotel, Intercontinental Hotel or Dusit Thani Hotel, you would be probably be shielded from most of the dangers and frustrations of Manila and your experience may be more enjoyable, especially if you are there on business and some locals will be there to guide you and take you out.

There are lots of beautiful places in the Philippines and Manila is not one of them. The humidity and scorching summer heat can be unbearable, especially given the pollution and the choking exhaust fumes. The city is filthy, ugly and grossly overpopulated. Getting around can be frustrating and traffic often slows down to only a few km per hour. Ask any Filipino what they hate most about Manila and it would be the traffic, the pollution and the crime.
    for the complete text, click: http://www.travel-philippines.com/lo...ila/Manila.htm

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    I agree.. Mindset kase ng pilipino na kapag nag-work or tumira ka sa manila eh gaganda ang buhay mo. Pero dahil sa sobrang dami na ang nakatira sa manila eh nagiging over-crowded at hirap ng makahanap ng work.. at dahil hirap ng makahanap ng work eh nagiging tambay na lang at kung minsan eh napipilitan ng gumawa ng masasamang bagay/krimen para lang may makain....

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    +1, just driving along EDSA during normal rush hours can be very frustrating. The recent flooding was supposed to be a wake-up call on the problems of Metro Manila. But apparently 3 weeks after Ondoy, everthing is business as usual. All the politicians are now too concerned with the coming elections rather than running the country...
    Last edited by Monseratto; October 20th, 2009 at 12:02 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    If you you are staying in hi-end hotels like the Shangri-La Hotel, New World Renaissance Hotel,Intercontinental Hotel or Dusit Thani Hotel, you would be probably be shielded from most of the dangers and frustrations of Manila and your experience may be more enjoyable, especially if you are there on business and some locals will be there to guide you and take you out.
    probably?? the writer is not aware with group of Trillanes! Tsk tsk tsk.
    Last edited by KERSMcRae; October 20th, 2009 at 12:10 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    That seems to corroborate what I feel. You need to get away from Manila, period if you want the Philippine experience.

I had a great time in the Visayas back in 1996. My daughter too had a great time there in 2005.

When we visit next year, we'll head straight to the Visayas.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I guess this reflects why people in Metro Manila need to have a place outside the city (example: Tagaytay and Subic) to relax over the weekend.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I guess this reflects why people in Metro Manila need to have a place outside the city (example: Tagaytay and Subic) to relax over the weekend.
    True. I remember my mom having property in Nasugbu. We went there regularly. Back then, it was virgin white sand beaches and largely undeveloped along with the laid back provincial life.

Beautiful...... Purely beautiful.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    One of our expats here in the office who has gone to Manila several times, for some business trips, says the only beautiful place in M.Manila is Air Force One.......

But really, gandang-ganda siya sa Banaue Rice Terraces at Boracay Beach.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Go to Davao City. i think its the biggest city in Asia. Ganda maexperience davao lalo na pag naka ikot ka. ( Di ko kasi na encounter dds he he ).

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quezon Ave for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
"...lots of beautiful places in the Philippines and Manila is not one of them."