New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Any tips in getting a condo unit. Is it better to stay in the upper floor? Pre selling condos.? Reputable developers. Experiences in condo living? Thanks in advance

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mataraki View Post
    Any tips in getting a condo unit. Is it better to stay in the upper floor? Pre selling condos.? Reputable developers. Experiences in condo living? Thanks in advance
    If the area has busy traffic in the area, living in the upper floors (ten or higher) can help reduce the noise level somewhat but not eliminate it.

But upper floors can have their own issues:
    -typhoons winds can make water leak through closed windows.
    -quakes feel more intense in the higher floors
    -if the building has any water or electricity issues (example, busted water pump), it can be a big headache for the resident
    -termites and other pests can attack your condo unit. They might also come from units above, below or beside you. Best to choose a condo building with annual pest control.
    -neighbors. depends on your condo's construction and type of neighbors you get.
    -leaks of water that come out of nowhere. Water leaks can travel a long distance vertically and horizontally within the building's structure before coming out somewhere. Once it starts in your unit, it may be hard to determine the source to fix.

When buying a condo, make sure you also buy enough parking slots for your needs. Even if you plan to use only one car slot, it may be a worthwhile investment to buy two slots. In most condos, you can rent out the extra parking slot to other residents who need the extra parking space.

Condo expenses does not stop when you buy your unit. You still have to spend on the monthly and annual dues. These are usually expenses of the building which includes: security guards, electricity, water, phones, elevator operation/maintenance, janitor and sanitation, swimming pool maintenance, admin staff salaries, general building maintenance, etc. Typically the amount to be paid is computed based on your condo unit's floor area.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If the area has busy traffic in the area, living in the upper floors (ten or higher) can help reduce the noise level somewhat but not eliminate it.

But upper floors can have their own issues:
    -typhoons winds can make water leak through closed windows.
    -quakes feel more intense in the higher floors
    -if the building has any water or electricity issues (example, busted water pump), it can be a big headache for the resident
    -termites and other pests can attack your condo unit. They might also come from units above, below or beside you. Best to choose a condo building with annual pest control.
    -neighbors. depends on your condo's construction and type of neighbors you get.
    -leaks of water that come out of nowhere. Water leaks can travel a long distance vertically and horizontally within the building's structure before coming out somewhere. Once it starts in your unit, it may be hard to determine the source to fix.

When buying a condo, make sure you also buy enough parking slots for your needs. Even if you plan to use only one car slot, it may be a worthwhile investment to buy two slots. In most condos, you can rent out the extra parking slot to other residents who need the extra parking space.

Condo expenses does not stop when you buy your unit. You still have to spend on the monthly and annual dues. These are usually expenses of the building which includes: security guards, electricity, water, phones, elevator operation/maintenance, janitor and sanitation, swimming pool maintenance, admin staff salaries, general building maintenance, etc. Typically the amount to be paid is computed based on your condo unit's floor area.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    thanks sir. at first we were looking for a townhouse but its more expensive and besides we are just praparing the condo for the kids when they go to college in manila. ill get the 16th floor of the 38 floor condo. my other choices are the 10th and the 38th floors. any suggestion? i am just worried if its a good investment but its a better choice for us at this time. shall i close the deal?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks sir. at first we were looking for a townhouse but its more expensive and besides we are just praparing the condo for the kids when they go to college in manila. ill get the 16th floor of the 38 floor condo. my other choices are the 10th and the 38th floors. any suggestion? i am just worried if its a good investment but its a better choice for us at this time. shall i close the deal?
    I would suggest the higher floor options. As mentioned, this would help with the noise issue coming from street level. Advantage of the higher floors would be a better view from your unit and less dust as well. But if you have pets (or plan to own a dog) you will have to check the rules & regulations for them in the condo. Many condo might allow pets but pets would not be allowed in the elevator. So if you want to take the dog for a walk, you will have to use the stairs which will be a long climb if you are not in shape.

BTW, I would also suggest a unit with bedrooms facing the morning sun. This would help keep the room cool later in the day (afternoon and night). If the bedrooms were facing the afternoon sun, the rooms would still be very warm in the evening, resulting is higher aircon use.

Another advantage of a condo is better security since there is just one point of entry/exit.

In the long run, the condo might be the better choice. Lower long term maintenance issues of the structure (roof, etc) and better overall security might be the ideal choice for you. Of course some people also want to have an actual garden, etc which you will not have with a condo.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; August 30th, 2011 at 11:44 AM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Actually I am also contemplating between a small house or a condo for my son when he goes to college. This has been helpful.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Actually I am also contemplating between a small house or a condo for my son when he goes to college. This has been helpful.
    Well, you can ask what is on your mind.

Condos for small kids can be fun. Many have pools and a secured play area.

For older children (college age) it may offer a more convenient travel distance to school, as many condos are being situated near colleges and universities. Downside, many condos (of more recent construction) tend to have smaller floor areas and/or lower ceiling as compared to older condo developments.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks for the tips, GH. We were also fixing on the purchase of a condo to serve as a halfway house during the workweek and for rental later on.

We considered the following:
    - proximity to public transpo and the CBDs. This I feel is better than choosing one near a school as it will have better value later on as your kids start working or you want to rent it out. If its centrally located, most good universities should be within striking distance (30 mins to an hour drive/commute)
    - proximity to fault line and flood prone areas (of course we would want to avoid these areas)
    - developer record
    - orientation to the sun (as GH mentioned); i'm choosing a unit facing the northeast and also considered that no other building will be built next to our window and block the view.
    - number of elevators in the development
    - assurance to be able to purchase a parking slot

Since the development were considering is along EDSA, were finalizing to get one of the upper floor units as well. I also checked out skyscrapercity for developer/development feedback.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    thanks GH. You really give good insights. You also guided me when i bought my daily car Lancer EX MX and I am very happy with it. I will close the deal with my realtor this week. I hope everything will be just right!

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Condo?- If you have visitors from abroad or probably from the province,- puwede doon sila for privacy et al.... Ganoon gawa namin....

14.0K:bike3:

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast
Living in a condo