New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pwede bang mag DIY nito?

medyo mataas kasi yung chimney namin, made of steel, tapos open field pa. somebody suggested that we put a lightning arrester/lightning rod.
    Signature

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    boybi, ikabit niyo dulo sa mga pulitiko na kurakot. :lol:

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    alam ko copper wire yun. tapos may wire na nakapasok sa ground.
    Last edited by aceshark; April 11th, 2006 at 01:22 AM.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Uhm, yes...pero, don't you have earthing sa bahay itself? If your chimney is made of steel, then adding a rod on top of that won't do any good. Unless the rod is insulated from the steel chimney, and an arresting / earthing cable goes directly to the ground from the rod.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravoexo
    Unless the rod is insulated from the steel chimney, and an arresting / earthing cable goes directly to the ground from the rod.

yep. eto na nga ibig kong sabihin. pina-igsi ko lang. tinatamad ako mag-type.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    lightning protection is one of specialized field of electrical engineering ... yes there are companies here in phil dedicated to such installations

higher-end products use rods with some sophisticated design and the cables are actually thick coaxial cables ... some cable design is actually a strip of copper

consult any competent electrical engineering firm for the project ... to protect the chimney (and the building for that matter), the installation you require may not be a simple 1-arrester/1-cable/1-ground rod setup ... it may require grounded wires higher than the chimney to serve as a "net"

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i can attest to the value of proper lightning protection for your home. i have had three lightning strikes on or around my property over the past three years. each time i either lost trees or external electrical systems (like cable tv and sprinklers), but it could've been much worse.

btw, so much for lightning never striking more than once

the installation itself is a relatively straightforward DIY as long as you're not afraid of heights and have the necessary equipment/ladders...but like someone else said, it's probably best to get a professional consult first, even if you plan to DIY. mahirap sumablay for something that important....

Quote Originally Posted by nugundam93
    boybi, ikabit niyo dulo sa mga pulitiko na kurakot.
    :bwahaha:

8. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Sir M54, message from God yun...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi
    pwede bang mag DIY nito?

medyo mataas kasi yung chimney namin, made of steel, tapos open field pa. somebody suggested that we put a lightning arrester/lightning rod.
    is your area prone to lightning in the past?...

Anyway, you can install a metal pole/pipe on top (so it will be higher than the chimney) and it should be firmly attached to a copper strip leading down and properly grounded. The copper strip will direct any lightning strike to the earth with (hopefully) minimal damage to nearby structures & equiptment. Its possible to use coax cable (with copper core) as a substititute for the copper strip but I think it will need replacing after a single strike.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pagbalik ko sa Monday, ask ko katabi ko, PEE yon AEE lang ako....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Lightning rods