New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2012
    Don’t Say Goodbye
    Just ghost.

By Seth Stevenson|Posted Wednesday, July 3, 2013, at 5:45 AM

Why make leaving harder than it has to be?

One recent evening, I celebrated my birthday in the outdoor courtyard of a bar. As the night wore on, and friends fell by the wayside, each departure occasioned a small ritual. A pal would sidle up to whichever conversational circle I was in; edge closer and closer, so as to make herself increasingly conspicuous; and finally smile, apologetically, when the conversation halted so I could turn to her and say goodbye.

Nothing but good intentions here. To some small extent, I appreciated the politeness of this parting gesture. It was not a major imposition to pause for a moment and thank folks for coming.

But there’s a better way. One that saves time and agita, acknowledges clear-eyed realities, and keeps the social machine humming.

Just ghost.

Ghosting—aka the Irish goodbye, the French exit, and any number of other vaguely ethnophobic terms—refers to leaving a social gathering without saying your farewells. One moment you’re at the bar, or the house party, or the Sunday morning wedding brunch. The next moment you’re gone. In the manner of a ghost. “Where’d he go?” your friends might wonder. But—and this is key—they probably won’t even notice that you’ve left.
    Advertisement

Yes, I know. You’re going to tell me it’s rude to leave without saying goodbye. This moral judgment is implicit in the culturally derogatory nicknames ghosting has been burdened with over the centuries. The English have been calling it French leave since 1751, while the French have been referring to filer à l'anglaise since at least the late 1800s. As with other cross-Channel insults—depending on your side, a condom is either a French letter or la capote anglaise, syphilis the French disease or la maladie anglaise—the idea is to pin unsavory behavior on your foes.

Here in the U.S... (read the complete article by clicking on the link below)

Ghosting, the Irish goodbye, the French leave: stop saying goodbye at parties. - Slate Magazine

Ano sa tingin nyo? Appropriate ba sa setting natin sa Pilipinas?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    depends on how huge the party is...
    kung malakihan, pwede ng hindi.
    pero kung small crowd and intimate, i feel it is still polite to do so.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    naalala ko kahapon lang, may parent sa school ng anak ko na masaya pa kaming naguusap biglang dumating yung misis niya, tumayo na lang at umalis. feeling ko naiwan ako sa ere.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Is a Wake counted as occassion?
    Coz it's very OK to leave it without saying goodbye.
    They say it's bad omen if you bid your company goodbye coz it's like you're saying farewell to them, for life.

I learned this from the elderly folks but sometimes I think its just hoax.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by greatauror28 View Post
    They say it's bad omen if you bid your company goodbye coz it's like you're saying farewell to them, for life.

sa mga kamaganak
    ko naman, ok lang magpaalam, pamahiin yung bawal maghatid.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Di nako nagpapaalam minsan sa inuman lalo na pag yung host yun tipong di ka papayagan pag di ka pa gumagapang...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by greatauror28 View Post

Naggaalit nga lalo't na kung matanda kung magpaalam ka sa isang wake...hehehe

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005

In a drinking session,- my friends know that if I excuse myself to take a leak,- I'm gone.....

19.9K:cheer:

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

In a drinking session,- my friends know that if I excuse myself to take a leak,- I'm gone.....

19.9K:cheer:
    Same here. IDOL.

pag umihi ako alam nila hindi na ako babalik. kaya madalas may sumasama sa akin kahit sa CR dahil tatakbo nanaman daw ako

10. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CLAVEL3699 View Post
    Same here. IDOL.

pag umihi ako alam nila hindi na ako babalik. kaya madalas may sumasama sa akin kahit sa CR dahil tatakbo nanaman daw ako
    Mahirap yan kung sinamahan ka sa CR dahil.......peace bro.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast