New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    found this article on CNN.com

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/05/01/...106/index.html

May 1, 2006; Posted: 7:16 p.m. EDT (2316 GMT)

By Lawrence Ulrich, FORTUNE

Cruise control? How very 90s. These cars can brake -- even park -- themselves.
    Expensive? Certainly. Wasteful? Perhaps. Tempting? Oh, yes. Find out what it's like to drive the car that practically drives itself.
    NEW YORK (FORTUNE) - Spotting an opening in traffic, my Mercedes-Benz surges forward, then settles in at a 60-mph cruise. When we hit a patch of cars, the S-Class sedan eases off the gas, slowing to 20 mph, and finally brakes to a stop in the rush-hour snarl.

Sounds like another day, another dull commute. Except that, to borrow from the Greyhound slogan, I've been leaving the driving to Mercedes. In 60 minutes at the wheel - including traversing Manhattan's traffic-choked FDR Highway - my right foot never touches the gas or brakes. A flick of a lever, and my computerized copilot does everything but steer.

It's called adaptive cruise control. And while it sounds like something out of "Minority Report," it's available today on a range of luxury models - for an extra charge. The systems scan the road with radar or lasers to maintain a safe gap between cars, while drivers can set the ideal following distance.

Car companies have more than just convenience on their radar. Mercedes claims its cruise control system could cut rear-end collisions by 75 percent in heavy traffic. If my model were to sense an unavoidable crash, its Pre-Safe system would cinch seatbelts, shift the front seat into optimal crash position, and close the windows and sunroof.

Other communicative cars are on the road as well. The Acura RL uses adaptive cruise control in its collision-mitigation braking system, which literally steps in for a daydreaming driver.

When I approached another vehicle too quickly, the system flashed a dashboard BRAKE warning. If I ignored it, it tugged on my seatbelt, before ultimately braking for me. The system won't come to a full halt on its own, but it gives a pilot the critical headstart that could prevent an accident.

Some Infiniti models use an optional camera to read lane markers and chirp a warning when a driver crosses the line without signaling. The Audi Q7 sportutility keeps an eye on its blind spots, alerting drivers if a car is lurking near its flanks. And the upcoming Lexus LS 460 sedan (due this fall) will address that bane of every driver's-ed student: It will parallel park by itself, with only a bit of brake assistance from its pilot.

In testing, the lane-warning and blindspot detectors struck me as somewhat annoying. But more sophisticated systems, experts say, could make a big dent in the 6.2 million crashes and 43,000 fatalities each year on American roads. That's what GM is hoping to do with a new system (not yet in production) that lets cars communicate via GPS signals now used for in-car navigation.

"Each vehicle is telling the other guy, "Here's where I am, here's where I'm headed, here's how fast I'm going," says Hari Haran Krishnan, a researcher at GM research and development. That could help prevent the deadly chain-reaction pileups that occur when drivers are blind to the approaching disaster.

It could also help with fuel consumption. The average commuter now spends 46 hours a year stuck in traffic, according to the Texas Transportation Institute. That gridlock wastes 2.3 billion gallons of fuel annually. With automated travel, proponents say, roadways could efficiently carry double or triple the traffic.

The FCC has carved out a bandwidth specifically for vehicle communications, and a consortium of automakers is developing standards so that all car brands will speak the same language.

While such systems may be decades away, "smart intersections" are among early practical applications being studied by the Department of Transportation.

Smart intersections could beam warnings to cars when another vehicle is about to blow through a red light, giving drivers time to avoid catastrophe. Ultimately the technology might slow down an errant car, making it impossible to run a red light or stop sign.

Some privacy experts worry that the technologies could be used to write tickets or track citizens. (In "Minority Report," Tom Cruise's Lexus betrays him by whisking him off to the police.) But while there are certainly issues to be hashed out, in my experience that little cyborg inside my Benz drove more smoothly and sensibly than plenty of carbon-based folks I know.

paki move na lang mods kung mali ang post location.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Mas mura ata maghire ng driver sa mga 3rd world countries hehehe.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The future, maybe, but very far into it for us non-millionaires. Also, as a reminder, the Merc system isn't perfect... it recently caused an embarrasing crash in a media demo because it got confused by tunnel walls.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    The best talaga yung sa Minority Report. Our highways have this mechanical guides for vehicles to attach to once they enter the highway. Once attached to the guide, there is no more steering required because you tell your destination upon entering the toll gate. The highway guide will simply guide your vehicle to the toll exit you requested upon entry. Since automatic gas pedal control is not high tech anymore, there is nothing left for the driver to do. And also, since vehicles are attached to the mechanical guides, there will be virtually no collisions anymore.

So once na nasa loob ka na ng highway, you can relax and do other stuffs like emailing on your laptop or having a quick breakfast.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    nice... pero mas masarap kung ikaw talaga mag-drive. mas masaya... imo.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    It's called adaptive cruise control. And while it sounds like something out of "Minority Report," it's available today on a range of luxury models - for an extra charge. The systems scan the road with radar or lasers to maintain a safe gap between cars, while drivers can set the ideal following distance.
    wait 'til this mercedez system to be applied here in our daily roads. malamang baka sumama ang AI nyan sa mga nagwewelga sa kalye sa kakulitan ng mga pedestrians dito

Leave the driving to the car/Cars that drive themselves