New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Have you ever been paid in "gift checks"?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 40.00%
  • No

3 60.00%
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Taken from:
    http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Mo...&aid=200811044

[SIZE="6"]The Hypocrite’s Certificates[/SIZE]
    By James Deakin - November 5, 2008

According to a recent study, over 90 percent of all business owners surveyed claimed “a lack of cash flow” as their biggest headache. Honestly, I’m surprised. I’m surprised that someone actually felt that they needed to go through the expense and effort of a dedicated study just to be able to reach a conclusion that has all the informational value of a medium sized grapefruit.

But what I find even more baffling than pointing out the painfully obvious is how businesses that get their money in advance feel that they can treat you like a second-class citizen. I’m talking about the beloved and extremely lucrative gift certificates. Every store has one. A great idea in theory, sure; problem is, many times you end up feeling like a second class citizen every time you whip one out.

Just the other week, I went into the Philippine Airlines office in Makati to book a ticket using my Mabuhay Miles. This is the redemption center on Pasay Road, which I’m told is the only place one can claim their reward flights.

I got there early and there were just four people before me, yet I still needed to wait more than an hour in line for my turn. I was starting to get edgy because this was already the 3rd time I had been back just to book the same flight – this last time was meant to just confirm my flight, pay for the taxes and physically show my passport to the counter staff, which for some reason had to be done in person. Photo copy or email would not do, of course, even though that is how I have booked the last six years worth of work travels with every other airline. Yes, including PAL. But this time it was a “reward flight” so they had to make it difficult.

Finally, it was my turn. Honestly, I think they must hire those people to stand in line ahead of us just to make us all think twice about having the nerve to claim our reward flights.

After filling out the rewards form again and going through all the motions again, the lady says, “That will be 5,500 pesos. Cash or card?” “Whoa!?” I blurted out. “I was only here a couple of days ago and it was 4,100 pesos. We agreed on it. I have it in writing. I only came back today because you insisted on physically seeing my passport and wouldn’t let me pay the taxes until you had. What gives?” She didn’t even glance up when she said in a completely cold and final way, “The price went up today.”

I tried to reason with her, explaining that we made the booking at 4,100 pesos two days ago, and that I was not informed of any price hike, and had I been told, I would have come in a day earlier, and that this was not the way to treat a customer, blah, blah, blah... She looked at me like I was from Jupiter and had mistakenly confused her with someone that actually gave a damn. Then she made me line up again just to pay at the cashier.

And it certainly doesn’t stop with just the airlines. As a live events host, I do a lot of work for clients that pay me partially in gift certificates. I don’t mind if it is something that I will use, like gas or beer, I just hate it when you go to use it in a place that gives you this “look” when you hand it over, as if you’re paying them in welfare checks.

I recently did an event for a hotel chain that asked if they could include a 2-night stay in a two bedroom apartment as part of the talent fee. I agreed only because I know my kids look forward to staying in hotels, even if it happens to be right next to our house. I think they just like the little soaps.

But from the moment we made the booking, identifying that we will be using the GCs, there was already something different. When we walked in, the feeling was magnified. It took almost an hour to check in for starters. Presumably so they could verify the authorized signature on the gift certificate down to the third degree of the maternal cousins on the grandmother’s side. Whatever. I just had to sit there at the front desk growing roots while they wrote things down on little pieces of paper and said, “Ummm” an awful lot.

Eventually, I was given my key and welcome envelope and forced to manoeuvre my car through a multi level car park so tight it would have given the precision-driving world champion, Russ Swift, a work out. There were four-foot long scrapes and gashes all along the car park ramp walls, each serving as a subtle reminder that, no, you have not over reacted. This car park really was designed by the guy who invented the Rubix Cube, and it’s meant to be just as challenging. Plus, just to add to their security camera entertainment system, they put me on the sixth floor, too.

And if that wasn’t bad enough, I was only allowed one parking spot and told I needed to pay for the other one, which I did, despite the fact that I was in a two bedroom suite and the car park was empty. Anyone would think they were giving out rations of government-subsidized rice. In hindsight, it turns out that it really didn’t matter because we literally could not fit the second car up the ramp, but the offer of a spot would have been nice. We were eventually forced to park on the street and move the car every three hours.

But it wasn’t until I noticed that I had been given a breakfast coupon for one that I started to lose it. We were seven people checking in to a two bedroom suite for crying out loud, and they include breakfast for one. That is like giving somebody a single shoe. So I called the front desk to clarify. She says that a two bedroom apartment normally only comes with breakfast for two. So I asked why I just got one. She said, “Actually sir, you are lucky we even gave you one because you are on a free room.”

** After careful consideration, the following dialogue portion between myself and the front desk lady has been removed from this article. Some of the language used was strong enough to harm the ozone layer. **

Now, anyone over the age of 8 will know that there is nothing free in the corporate world. Everything has a corresponding value. I have a gift certificate for the room because the hotel couldn’t pay me entirely in cash. I did not do half a job just because it was going to be paid in a gift certificate. It doesn’t work that way.

The front desk eventually admitted that because I used a GC they assumed that I was on a free room. They apologized, but the point of the matter is, far too many businesses still discriminate against customers that use gift certificates. And it has to stop. If anything, they should be treated as a preferred customer because the service or product was paid for in advance – and you’re now using the establishment’s very own currency.

None of this “can only be used between the hours of 3:24am and 3:25am on a hot August night when the wind is blowing North-westerly” kind of crap. It defeats the entire purpose.

Take a leaf out of the Discovery Suites book of hospitality. I booked an apartment a week ago to celebrate my birthday. I was really nervous about it because I was using a gift certificate I had won from Red Rock travel during one of their F1 screening parties. I informed the hotel that I would be using my GC just to be sure that if I got any flak during the booking, I could can the whole idea and not ruin my weekend.

In stark contrast, not just was I upgraded, the hotel had prepared balloons, a birthday banner greeting me by name, a cake, a huge fruit basket, a bottle of wine and toys for the kids. They even went as far scattering rose petals throughout every bedroom and master bathroom. I have stayed in many hotels over the years, but this one just raised the bar for service and hospitality. And when you think about it, what would it have cost them? Just a little effort and some good old fashioned thoughtfulness.

Christmas is coming up and you can be sure that even the street vendors will be coming up with their own form of GCs. I just want to remind all the snobbish retailers who look down on their own vouchers of one thing: people usually choose to give GCs – instead of cash – to give their loved ones, valued clients, friends etc, a lasting memory. Think about what memory you want to leave them with.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003

but the point of the matter is, far too many businesses still discriminate against customers that use gift certificates. And it has to stop. If anything, they should be treated as a preferred customer because the service or product was paid for in advance – and you’re now using the establishment’s very own currency.
    agree ako dito. bayad na yung GC so wala na silang problema dapat. kaso feeling kasi ng ibang establishment, since "libre" or walang cash out yung customer, ok lang na below standard ang serbisyo. kala ata nila pag GC ang gamit eh mas maliit ang kita.

pero ika nga nung writer, wala naman libre sa corporate world. kahit sabihin nating yung GC ay bigay or napanalunan lang, may tao or kumpanya pa din na nagbayad para dun sa GC.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hmmm... does this mean I should give in cash this Christmas?

The receptionist's answer was weak... even if the person is using a GC due to being given a "free room"... that's no reason to treat them as less of a customer. That room is only "free" to the GC holder... there's a budget set aside for it on the corporate level, and you don't have the authority to countermand that, at your position.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    But this time it was a “reward flight” so they had to make it difficult.
    This really made me laugh out loud

Some of my clients pay me in the form of GCs for their respective stores and restaurants. I love the free fuel the most and I also get some GCs for toy stores at SM or Ayala which comes in real handy especially during Christmas season.

Yeah, sometimes I feel like I'm living on welfare whenever I present these 'coupons of thrift'. There was a time when I had to wait for nearly 2 hours with my kid at a resort to enjoy a free overnight stay - I nearly wilted at their front counter from the waiting while their staff gave us a pitiful look as if we have never checked-in a first class resort before.

But really, during these hard times I don't mind tossing in GCs. Every bit helps as they always say

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    meron talaga mga employees who judge customers

they will only respect you if u took out an inch thick of thousand peso bills

tingin nila walang pera ang mga may dalang gift check

6. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    I am now planning on celebrating my birthday in Discovery Suites . . . this is not just good service but excellent customer satisfaction.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    slightly OT, yun sa De Los Santos Megaclinic sa Megamall, mayroon karatula dun pag gumagamit ka ng HMO card will require 45 min above processing time, pero pag cash syempre