New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    It's the last paragraph that made me ashamed of what the world thinks of the Philippines

The former first lady of the Philippines, Imelda Marcos, is launching her own fashion label.
    The "Imelda Collection", unveiled at a Manila hotel, will begin with a range of jewellery designed by her eldest daughter Maria, better known as Imee.

The brand is expected to include clothing and shoes, with items recycled directly from Mrs Marcos' own outfits.

Her wardrobe became an by-word for extravagance and she was once reputed to own more than 3,000 pairs of shoes.

More than 1,200 of these were found abandoned in the presidential palace when she and her husband, Ferdinand Marcos, fled the country following a popular revolution in 1986.

h

'The Imelda spirit'

Now the 77-year-old former beauty queen has put her name behind a collection which will sell for more modest prices than the fashion items she became notorious for buying while her husband was in power.

Items in the "Imelda Collection" are expected to retail for between $20 and $100.

"What we are selling is not something valuable, but ... it is something invaluable because it's only beauty that can feed the spirit," said Imelda Marcos.

She said the idea for a jewellery collection came from her grandson, Martin "Borgy" Manotoc, who told her: "You are creating beautiful things like jewels from practically garbage."

Imee Marcos said her mother's accessories, discovered at flea markets and transformed into jewellery, were "just a visual and tactile reminder of... the Imelda spirit".

No convictions

Imelda Marcos was found guilty on corruption charges in the mid-1990s and sentenced to a minimum of 12 years in prison, but the conviction was overturned on appeal.

Former President Marcos died in Hawaii in 1989, and members of his family, including the former first lady, returned to the Philippines in 1991.

Although a large number of corruption charges were filed against the Marcos clan, no family member has ever been finally convicted in the courts.
    Last edited by Monseratto; November 7th, 2006 at 09:23 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Because every president that followed is doing the same thing in a different way hehe.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    hayyyyy naku buhay.........

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i'm no marcos fan, in fact i was at edsa 1.

but the thing with the law kasi is this, and this is why the courts can not jail imelda: how can you convict the wife (and the children) when it was the husband (and father) that did the stealing. pag ang tatay ba gumawa ng crime and patay na ang tatay e ikukulong mo yung asawa at anak? they can't make anything stick to her. all the evidence point to ferdinand marcos, all evidence against imelda are circumstancial. they can't possibly jail her for having 3000 pairs of shoes. they first have to prove that she used people's money to buy those shoes. and they can't. her defense, she got the money from her husband. can't find anything wrong with that no?

if she (and her children) stay out of jail, does it mean that edsa 1 failed? i think not. it only means that justice is blind (if you have the money to hire good, expensive, well connected lawyers of course!), that it will not convict an accused when there is no (or direct) evidence. di ba yun naman ang isa sa pinaglaban natin nuon, fair justice. if imelda takes advantage of that fair justice now do we say then that she should not be given that right? can't have double standards no? yun lang nga justice is, still, more fair to others than most. e may pera sila pambayad sa abugado e. can't complain there i guess.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Fashionista talaga ni Imelda...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    I'd see what I can buy for historic purposes......of course.

Edit made in the Philippines???

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pati dito sa UK nabalita yan sa BBC One.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    malapit na naman kasi ang elections kaya me gimmick na nman...libre anunsiyo pa sa media...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    saw her pictures sa newspaper dito sa uk.kilala siya ng mga colleague ko dahil sa mga sapatos niya.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post
    Because every president that followed is doing the same thing in a different way hehe.
    Agree po ako rito.

Different folks; Different strokes....

I'll bless the day when the Philippines will wake up with an honest-to-goodness President! Hope I will live to see that day!!!

:starwars:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Imelda Marcos comes into fashion