New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    dami talaga OA na pinoy, balat sibuyas......
    baka magka senate inquiry na naman o ideclare na persona non grata si lucy liu........

http://entertainment.inquirer.net/63...rs-cyber-storm

Charlie’s angel’ Filipino ‘slur’ stirs cyber storm

LOS ANGELES—A random comment made by Hollywood actress Lucy Liu on “The Late Show with David Letterman” has sparked a debate in cyberspace.
    Did the Chinese-American film and TV star (“Charlie’s Angels,” “Ally McBeal”) intend to insult an entire country when she said she was careful not to look a “little Filipino”?
    Netizens weighed in on the Inquirer website (Test Page for the Apache HTTP Server & InterWorx-CP.
    net) and Twitter account (*InqEnt).
    One jested: “Maybe she meant she might look like Pokwang.” (Filipino comedienne Pokwang has claimed that she is Liu’s long-lost twin.)
    Another pointed out: “I’m singkit (chinky-eyed) but kayumanggi (brown-skinned). I’m proud of it and I’m not offended.”
    Understandably, there were a lot of angry comments. This one was harsher on those: “Pilipinas, ang OA mo (Philippines, you’re overacting)!”

Out of context

In the meantime, Liu has apologized.
    “I am so sorry that my comment was taken out of context, as I would never insult another group or ethnicity,” the actress told the Inquirer when asked to comment about her controversial statement as Letterman’s guest on October 11.
    When the TV host asked Liu, who is shooting her new TV series, “Elementary,” if she enjoyed running indoors or outdoors, she replied: “I run on a machine—it’s easier for me. Also, if I get really dark, I’ll start to look a little Filipino. It wouldn’t match if I start getting darker, you know what I mean? I can get really dark if I’m in the sun too much.”
    Liu’s remark quickly elicited criticisms and complaints in online blog posts and social media sites, for being “racist.”

In a statement given to the Inquirer through her publicist, Carrie Gordon, Liu explained: “Just to clarify, I was explaining why I do not run or exercise outdoors, as my skin tans very easily. Because I am presently playing a character with New York during the autumn/winter season as backdrop, it is important that I keep my look consistent with this type of environment.”
    At press time, Liu has not answered the Inquirer’s follow-up question: Why she used the phrase “a little Filipino” if she had been concerned only about the consistency of her character’s skin color. Liu plays Dr. Joan Watson to Jonny Lee Miller’s Sherlock Holmes in “Elementary,” a modern-day take on the popular detective fiction series.—With a report from Bayani San Diego Jr.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by chua_riwap View Post
    dami talaga OA na pinoy, balat sibuyas......
    baka magka senate inquiry na naman o ideclare na persona non grata si lucy liu........

http://entertainment.inquirer.net/63...rs-cyber-storm
    Baka nga naman ayaw nyang maging kamukha si Pokwang. Kulay nalang ang difference nila :bwahaha:
    Signature

3. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Her comment was taken out of context. I watched the whole interview.....

She was being interviewed by Letterman and the topic was about her role in the new TV series "Elementary". Her role is a "Chinese American" doctor. She just stated that if she gets tanned/darker, it would not fit her role as she was supposed to be "chinese", not "filipino". she used to word "little" kasi she is literally short, 5'1" in height.....

Dapat inaalam muna ng Philippine media yan. Kagabi sa Bandila, hindi na -explain yun eh.... basta sinabi lang na ayaw niyang maging Filipino dahil daw kayumanggi

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Ang pinoy masyado sensitive, pero tayo mapanlait anf racist din.

to add up, andami dyan super obsses pumuti kung mamakyaw ng whitening products/ overdose ng glutathione para lang pumuti.

tapos pag binati ang natural skin tone natin we are hurt? man we need to grow up.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jon777 View Post

She was being interviewed by Letterman and the topic was about her role in the new TV series "Elementary". Her role is a "Chinese American" doctor. She just stated that if she gets tanned/darker, it would not fit her role as she was supposed to be "chinese", not "filipino". she used to word "little" kasi she is literally short, 5'1" in height.....

Dapat inaalam muna ng Philippine media yan. Kagabi sa Bandila, hindi na -explain yun eh.... basta sinabi lang na ayaw niyang maging Filipino dahil daw kayumanggi
    ABSCBN pa... numero uno pinoy pride cheerleader

konting achievement ng half pinoy sa ibang bansa ginagawang news story

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cast_no_shadow View Post
    Ang pinoy masyado sensitive, pero tayo mapanlait anf racist din.

to add up, andami dyan super obsses pumuti kung mamakyaw ng whitening products/ overdose ng glutathione para lang pumuti.

tapos pag binati ang natural skin tone natin we are hurt? man we need to grow up.
    agree ako dito. kung tayo yung manlait ng ibang nationality, mas malala pa sa "little" ang pagka describe. sobrang OA nung mga nag react.

Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post

thats why i dont watch local news anymore. mali mali parati nire-report. hindi na sila natuto dun sa quirino hostage taking.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jon777 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post

That's how twisted that media company is.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stickers View Post
    That's how twisted that media company is.
    para lang sa ratings..

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    tuwing dumadating ang US armed forces sa Pinas hahanapin ng ABSCBN mga pinoy na US servicemen at iinterbyuhin... sasabihin proud sila of being pinoy

nanalo sa whatever contest ang isang half-pinoy anywhere in the world ABSCBN will feature it

kahit di pa nakatuntong ng Pinas... basta may dugo pinoy... kahit 1/4 lang... kahit konting achievement lang...

pinoy pride!

haha
    Last edited by uls; October 17th, 2012 at 12:49 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast