New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Why People Accumulate Wealth
    When the Bible speaks of wealth, it not only relates to money but also to homes, families, abilities, talents, intelligence, and education—everything we have. God’s perspective of wealth is always centered around attitudes. So, in keeping with God’s perspective of wealth, and realizing that the accumulation means more than just storing away—it also refers to making, using, spending, and sharing wealth—why do people accumulate wealth? There are seven basic reasons why people accumulate wealth: (1) others advise it; (2) envy of others; (3) it is a game; (4) self-esteem; (5) the love of money; (6) for protection; and (7) given by God as a spiritual gift.

Others advise it
    Many people get into investments, businesses, or other ventures simply because someone else advises them to do so. They don’t have any clear personal plans or goals. If God supplied them an abundance, they would not really have a plan for sharing, reinvesting, or saving. They simply commit their resources to some program because somebody else thinks it’s a good idea. Christians are advised by God’s Word to seek many counselors on everything, because with too few counselors plans go astray. “Without consultation, plans are frustrated, but with many counselors they succeed” (Proverbs 15:22).

Therefore, according to God’s plan, Christians are to seek counsel, especially in money management. But they also must weigh every counsel against God’s Word. Listen to new ideas, but seek God’s directive before making any decisions, and don’t become involved simply because somebody has a new idea.

Envy of others
    Many people accumulate money simply because they envy other people. They fall into the trap of “keeping up with the Joneses.” Although Christians are not to envy those who are storing up riches, many times they unfortunately find themselves envying others and allow their lifestyles to be dictated by those around them. “Beware, and be on your guard against every form of greed; for not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions” (Luke 12:15).

It is a game
    Many people, Christians included, accumulate money as a game; they match themselves against others relentlessly. The world system heavily promotes this concept. It elevates the winners regardless of how they plan the game. The only problem is that the game quickly overwhelms the players. Participants get so wrapped up in the contest that they sacrifice family, friends, or health to keep winning. One of the best ways to avoid the game trap is through long-range planning for surplus. Commit a large portion of each investment to the Lord’s work. Doing so transfers focus from serving self to serving God.

Self-esteem
    Those people who accumulate money for self-esteem do it so others might notice them or even envy them. Although it is a worldly motive, it characterizes the motives of many Christians. Those who are enslaved to this motive use money in an attempt to buy esteem and acceptance, even from family members. They want people to notice them, cater to them, elevate them, and yield to their wants or desires. Very seldom do they give anonymously. Usually giving is for the purpose of self-promotion. Because esteem and importance will fade as quickly as the money, a Christian cannot accumulate wealth for self-esteem within God’s plan.

The love of money
    Those who love money wouldn’t part with it for anything—not even for esteem. Their lives are characterized by hoarding and abasement. They may have accumulated thousands, but the loss of even a few dollars is traumatic. Unfortunately, many Christians cling to every material possession they can. Trapped by the love of money, they would let their families do without rather than part with their most precious possessions. “For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs” (1 Timothy 6:10). The love of money separates us from God. “Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, ’I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you’” (Hebrews 13:5).

For protection
    Sometimes people accumulate money for protection. Obviously, since we don’t know what’s going to happen in the future, we should protect against potential future problems. It is this type of logic that some Christians use to justify accumulating money. But, if we look closely, it soon becomes apparent that those who use protection as a rationalization for accumulating money do not trust God enough to believe that He can supply family needs. Those who accumulate for protection don’t really love money, nor are they accumulating money for esteem; they are just concerned about what might happen in the future.

In addition to accumulating money, the desire for protection is displayed through obtaining large amounts of life insurance, disability insurance, liability insurance, or larger than average amounts of any asset. None of these are bad within themselves; it is only through misuse that they become corruptive.

Anxiety over the future traps many Christians into protection; they are no longer trusting God as the source of their current and future supply but are trusting in worldly things. However, when those worldly things collapse, their faith also collapses. Christians are to provide for their families’ future but not try to protect them against every potential future problem.

Given by God as a spiritual gift
    There is only one reason that God supplies a surplus of wealth to Christians—so that they can provide for the needs of others. Because true wealth comes with giving, God promises His blessings to all who freely give. However, He also promises His curse on those who hoard, steal, covet, or idolize. Therefore, if Christians who have a surplus adjust their lifestyles to lavishness and indulgence, they totally buffer God’s direction.

In God’s plan, Christians are the ones to whom He has given the privilege of funding His work. So, why does God provide an accumulation of wealth? To enable His people to exercise the gift of giving.

Conclusion
    Money and wealth can be used for the comfort and convenience of families, to meet the needs of others, and to spread the Gospel throughout the world. Or it can be used for destructive purposes. Since attitude determines how wealth should be used, it is vital to determine, in light of God’s principles, what attitudes are acceptable to God and why that acceptable attitude must be maintained as God increases wealth.

=========

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    But, if we look closely, it soon becomes apparent that those who use protection as a rationalization for accumulating money do not trust God enough to believe that He can supply family needs.

WHA???!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    bossing, pinahaba mo pa e. nasa bible na yan.

THE PARABLE OF THE TALENTS

pwede mo itanim sa lupa, pwede mo ibalik ng doble, o kaya magsipag ka ng husto at ibalik mo ng triple. kay Lord mo ibabalik syempre. kung ano man ang naibigay nya sa iyong biyaya, pagyamanin mo at gamitin sa pagsisilbi sa Diyos.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Agnostic ako.

Yebo..hmm..yan ang practice ng karamihan sa new churches.
    Last edited by kiper; September 12th, 2004 at 05:35 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pero di ako agree dun sa sinabi na "those who use protection.....do not trust God enough..."

tama nga na sabi ni Lord e "the lilies of the field do not sow or reap but God attends to them like the sheperd tends his sheep", pero di sinabi ni Lord na mali ang magsumikap at maghanda para sa future. e kung tutunganga lang tayo maghapon tignan ko lang kung tapunan ka ni Lord ng kahit isang pirasong pandesal dyan hehehe!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sir, who's the writer of this article?

i must admit this sounds like a plea to 'give more of your money to the church'.

i'm a firm believer that God helps those who help themselves, and accumulation of wealth (and the enjoyment of its fruits) is not wrong as long as you don't do it by screwing others.

besides, i guess we are all sinners for wanting to be rich so we can afford the expensive exotic cars that we covet... :D

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I like money. Am I evil? :bwahaha:

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Nasa Tao ang Gawa, Nasa Diyos ang Awa.............

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    forgot which website I saw this from... I was searching for articles on tips on accumulating wealth and it pointed me to this religious site...

yebo: no clue, I dont read the bible enough to know where this came from.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
I can't believe I just read this...