New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Is Your First Reaction to an Emergency Situation to Slam on the Brakes?

Did anyone ever pull out in front of you because they obviously did not see you coming and then, when they realized you were there, slam on the brakes stopping right in your path?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    my first reaction always is to look for a hole in traffic and go to that hole before anyone else does. if that means downshifting, flooring the gas and swerving fast then i downshift, floor the gas and swerve fast. even if i do get hit on the side due to the sudden swerve it won't be as bad as the alternative, which is....(see next pharagraph)

slamming the brakes simply means it's ok for you to be rear-ended by the vehicle behind you. what if that happens to be an 18-wheeler truck with a 40-ft container in tow? hamburger sandwich labas mo, at ikaw ang patty. bloody patty.

done this twice already, once at slex and another time in the US. at slex the car in front actually swerved to our lane from a stand still and the truck behind me hit it squarely (truck was travelling 90kph, same as my speed, while car was only doing maybe 20kph). in the US the car in front slammed on the brakes when the highway patrol on the other lane flashed its lights. the 18-wheeler which was directly behind me before this happened hit his trunk (as in naging hatchback na lang yung sedan). both times i swerved to another lane to escape. if i did not then i won't be posting here today.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Same as yebo, I would look for a hole in the traffic. If the shoulder is clear and presents the better option, I'd swerve to the shoulder.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    I dunno how I do it, but by instinct I usually look at my rear view mirror to check if the car behind me is close and at the same time I downshift before I hit the brakes. It's like doing it all in slow motion ala matrix

I would also agree with yebo.

Its a big no no to slam on your brakes, you wheels might lock up specially in non ABS equipted cars.

To answer the question, same as Yebo I would swerve out to the next lane.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    you need also a quick thinking and response ...

baka abutan ka ng nasa likod mo

always go for the open lane or space

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    always think the vehicle behind you. just like yebo said... ipit ka dyan kung nagkataon.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ...and don't forget to use your spider sense to anticipate danger

How's my driving?