New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Hello Tsikot,

Nasa point ako ng buhay ko na tinatawag na "Mid-Life Crisis". Gusto ko ipursue yung pagiging Racer, tipong LEGAL/ILLEGAL.

Any ideas or support on this please. What steps do I need to learn or what, where should I go? Gusto ko talaga ipursue tong dream, passion, late-realization ko.

Help me out!!! Anyone?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005

3. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    join bro jut in Touge Battle...race the legal way [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I'll assme this is an honest-to-goodness inquiry.

You can begin by joining safe and legal racing events such as Touge Battle and FORS.

You don't need a dedicated track car - you can race with whatever car you have. If I remember correctly, you have a Civic 1.8E. I have the same car and have had a lot of fun racing with it. In our previous track day there was even an Eon, Vios, and Mirage.

Most people will say you have to mod this and that before you start racing. I have a bone stock car and I've been able to race with a fair bit of success. Start by modifying the driver before you modify your car.

Once you've dipped your feet in the water and gotten some racing experience, that's when you can begin modding your car or consider getting a dedicated track car if you wish.

Good luck and hope to see you in the next Touge Battle.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    This is where I started first:

Driving lessons with the 911 R - Lesson 1: Warm-up - YouTube

I'm not a racer, unlike our moderator, and I only participated twice this year.

Nothing beats a personal coach, and *jut703 is kind enough to give me a few pointers before we started racing. He even sacrificed two practice lap runs just to accompany me and teach me the basics.

One member here, *travajante, sent me some reading materials. I read thoroughly and tried to imagine it as I rehearse it again and again in my head. I'll look for it and share it here.

I remember my wife and my two grown-up kids making fun of me while I was watching YouTube.
    [emoji3]

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    First step is to upgrade the driver first. Then the car.

There are racing schools out there. Tuazon, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Hello Everyone!,

Sorry for the very late reply.
    Thank you very much for your replies. Special mention to Sir Jut and Sir Archerfish! I will read the link you gave me and message you soon.

I might be enrolling in AIT (Autohub Institue in Technology) if schedule permits. I really want to learn on HOW THINGS WORK sa automotive specifically. Hopefully pag nakapag inquire ako tomorrow maging pasok sa sched or gusto kong sched din. I want to be the one fixing, upgrading/modifying my car in the future. For me, mas okay maging racer kung alam mo yung loob ng auto mo diba? Hopefully one day makapag work ako abroad sa big automotive company.

Suko na ata ako sa pagiging IT somehow. Ill be pursuing my dream naman ngayon.

P.s.

*How do you even upgrade the driver/myself?

8. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by zurcmit View Post
    Hello Everyone!,

Thank you very much for your replies. Special mention to Sir Jut and Sir Archerfish! I will read the link you gave me and message you soon.

I might be enrolling in AIT (Autohub Institue in Technology) if schedule permits. I really want to learn on HOW THINGS WORK sa automotive specifically. Hopefully pag nakapag inquire ako tomorrow maging pasok sa sched or gusto kong sched din. I want to be the one fixing, upgrading/modifying my car in the future. For me, mas okay maging racer kung alam mo yung loob ng auto mo diba? Hopefully one day makapag work ako abroad sa big automotive company.

P.s.

My personal experience tells me that one of the best way to upgrade the driver is to join the race. I mean, you can read and watch for the whole day and night, but unless you drive, you can't really "know" what you need to know.

Just imagine your eureka moments​ when you are coding the Fourier series or the value of "e", you only understood how programming works when you did it yourself.
    [emoji3]

For the time being, you can watch this:

Racing Lines explained - YouTube

I watched it several times and I couldn't get this so called "apex" during my practice lap in Subic. All thanks to *jut703 for pointing it out where exactly it is on the road.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zurcmit View Post
    Hello Everyone!,

P.s.

Archerfish makes a good point about having ACTUAL experience over just theoretical knowledge.

I don't see the necessity of enrolling in automotive technical classes just to become a better racer. That'll teach you to become an auto mechanic, not a better driver. You'll learn about cars and proper modifications by actually racing and talking to other racers who have years of experience. If you really want to enroll in formal classes - join AAP's Motorsport Development Program.

Seems like you just have a very vague idea of racing right now. I really suggest for you to dip your feet in the water first by joining grassroots racing events like Touge Battle so that you get grounded on what it's really like.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Thank you so much sir Jut and sir Archerfish!! Atleast I know who to ask for regarding this idea. Right now, yes Ill be doing my homework and wait for the next Touge battle or any beginners event for 2019.

Cheers to everyone who shared his/her idea and to all readers, hope this help somehow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast