New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I dunno...this may be a repost. A buddy of mine sent this story over by email. She said that it was written by Boo Chanco of the Philippine Star. Pretty amusing read.

This is a true story taken from one of the most read newspapers in the Philippines .

A 70-year old lolo from the province was accompanied by a grandson
    to the US Embassy in Manila for his VISA interview.

The lolo spoke not a word of English so the grandson translated for
    him. The Consul told the young man to ask his grandfather why he wanted to go to the States.

"Bakit daw ho ninyo gustong pumunta sa Amerika?" The grandson translated.

"Sabihin mo gusto kong makita yung mga anak ko doon."

"He said he wants to see his children there."

Fair enough, that's what the lolo's application indicated. The Consul had another question. "Ask him why does he have to go there? Why can't his children just come and visit him here?" The grandson translated this in Tagalog.

Lolo replied: "Sabihin mo kasi dito pinanganak yung mga anak ko. Nakita na nila ang Pilipinas. Gusto ko namang makita ang Amerika bago ako mamatay." (Translation: "Tell him, my children were born here. They've seen the Philippines already. I just want to see America before I die.")

The HEARTLESS Consul was unimpressed as he declared, devoid of any emotion, that he was rejecting the visa application "because the applicant was unable to speak any word of English."

"Reject daw yung visa ninyo kasi hindi daw kayo marunong mag-Ingles."

The lolo was equally unimpressed. "Sabihin mo ito sa kanya at huwag
    na huwag mong papalitan ang sasabihin ko: "P.I. niya, bakit siya nandidito eh hindi naman siya marunong mag-Tagalog!?"

Translated, "He said: You son of a b**ch, how come you are here...you do not know how to speak in Tagalog!?"

Taken aback, sense of humor still intact, the consul relented and
    approved lolo's visa application in pronto.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    In my younger years, i would have laughed at the story. But as a matured individual, i would say that this is just one of those urban legends.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    funny hehe..........

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Halos pareho sa situation ng grandma ng wife ko. A few years ago, the grandma was accompanied by one of her sons (uncle of my wife) for the interview. The consul rejected her visa application, then the uncle got furious and shouted that his mom have only a few months left in her life since she have cancer and just wanted to travel around before she dies. Malakas talaga ang sigaw nya, then right there and then, na-approve din yung visa.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    That's an e-mail joke circulating since the mid-90s.

Still funny up to now.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    after 911 US consul have been more careful to avoid any incident of that sort.

however, in some instances sindakan lang yan, hehehe

when i had our interview, i saw a matron, clad in signature clothes, i think its gucci, LV bag, gold all over her body,her hair is like imelda, much more like the contabidang matrona in movies, and take note she has a nanny accompanying her inside the interview hall, i am sure she is the nanny because she was dressed in a white uniform as assisting the matronic woman.

no idea if she were approved but we were=)

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    i Remembr wen my mom went to the us embassy for the interview, i was i think 17 dat time and the consul asked my mom why will you want to go to us and my mom just answered i want to see disney land thats all pos walang sabi sabi apporve kagad di na din pinakita ang mga documents

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Tsambahan ata sa consul at ng moods nila on the day of interview. I personally know somebody na 2x ng nabigyan ng 5 year, multiple entry visa (her kids are all in the US) pero nung nag-renew sya ulit two years ago, denied. Reason: potential illegal alien risk daw. I found the reason a bit petty because she was already 67 years old at that time. Fast forward to about 3-4 weeks ago. Nag-apply uli sya. Different person ang nag-interview, different outcome.

She got another 5 year multiple entry visa.

One of our consultants here (a Filipino) got his visa two years ago quite easily. During the course of the interview, the American gentleman who was handling his interview at that time found out (during the interview process) that the applicant's dad (our consultant) served in WWII as USAFFE solder. The irony is that the American's father also served in WWII as a USAFFE junior officer. To further the irony, they both were surprised that both their late fathers served on the same battalion I think. So what happened? He got his visa in less than 10 minutes and both of them spent the next half hour talking about their dads. Talk about coincidence.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Tsambahan nga lang sa consul. Sabi nung isang friend ko nung nagpapainterview rin sya, meron daw isang consul dun na denied lahat ng applicants na napunta sa kanya.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Habang nakapila daw yung mga aplikante pinapanood daw sa video cam at tinitingnan based sa galaw kung ok psychologically yung aplicant. Dapat relax lang at natural ang galaw kasi pag parang kabado nahahalata sa galaw at most likely ma rereject.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
"How Come You are you Here?"