New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Nasa bubuong ng bahay yung antenna. Ang taas pa naman ng bubong. hehehe. Yung gumawa pa ng bahay ang nagkabit nung antenna dati (a long, long time ago).

Mahirap pa ba kumuha ng NTC license ngayon? Ano ba kinukuha ng lisensya, yung radyo or yung operator?
    That depends on the kind of radio service, but it's usually both. Since the TR-9130 is an amateur radio, you can only use it on the amateur radio band. The applicant has to pass an exam to get a license, and the radio has to be registered to be used. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to pass the exam .

Doc, that particular model was designed with a narrow bandwidth receiver, optimized for 144-148 MHz. You can shift the 10 MHz upper/lower limits, from 140-150 MHz to say, 150-160 MHz, but receiver sensitivity suffers a lot ... unless you modify the tuned circuits, too. Which is like saying - better get another radio.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Pagnasita atsaka ka nalang magpalicense
    Dismantled na yung set up, nahalukay ko lang. Paso na din license. Yung antenna sa bubong, ang kasama ay yung antenna ng FEN (does anyone remember that TV station? hehehe). No one just bothered to take it down.

Yung mga 'scanners' ba kailangan din ng license even it is only for receiving and not transmitting?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Yup, I remember that
    Nakukuha ko nuon sa Baguio ang signal niyan sa Clark. I remember using a DIY'ed quagi antenna for that (combination quad and yagi). Ang tagal na niyang antenna mo ah, hehe. Kalaban mo kasi sa antenna yung corrosion sa contacts.

I've met a number of pinoy scanner enthusiasts/SWL's (shortwave listeners) in my life, and I can't remember anyone mentioning a need for a license. Countries usually don't require one when you can only receive, although some may impose conditions like you can't listen on police and cellular phone frequencies, or use it while mobile. Most scanners have these radio bands already blocked out, but some models can receive continously between the limits.

I used to have a Realistic handheld scanner which I "unblocked". For a while it was entertaining to listen to cellular conversations. The networks were still analog then, like Mobiline. But getting into the conversation is much better for me .

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Otep,

I've used a 9130 before...back in the 80s. It's a good radio, all mode...meaning it's capable of different type of modulation implementation (e.g. SSB, FM, AM).

The model was highly regarded for it's ability to distinguish, between a true signal and a harmonic or undesirable signal (splatters). The splatters was a concern back in the 80s, when there were so many illegals bootlegging the channels.

As mentioned by many, it was designed for electronics hobbyist on amateur radio. To my knowledge, it will only work between 144 to 148 MHz.

Here is the Philippines, the legal frequencies for 2M amateur radio is 144 to 146MHz. You will need to take a qualifying exams at NTC for licensing.

As for expanding the frequency for the 9130 to work on 158MHz - probability is very slim. Also, it is unlikely that NTC will allow you to register a radio used for amateur radio for commercial purposes/professional use.

Nevertheless, the 9130 is a classic and will remain so.

If you're interested to join the local amateur radio community, I suggest you check out www.para.org.ph

BTW, the "4.300.0" on the picture means 144.3000 MHz.
    Last edited by HIFI; August 25th, 2007 at 11:59 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Nice info Thanks!

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Help: Two-way Radio