Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    this is what i got from the internet:

Wednesday, October 6, 2004 11:06 PM

Ortigas & Co. OK’s Virra Mall renovation

By CATHY GARCIA
    TODAY Senior Reporter

Ortigas & Co. Ltd. will renovate Virra Mall and ban the sale of pirated digital video discs (DVDs) and compact discs (CDs) at the Greenhills Shopping Center by the start of 2005.

The property development firm of the Ortigas family will allocate P300 million to finance the redevelopment of Virra Mall, the infamous haven for pirated movie DVDs and computer program CDs.

Ortigas & Co. chief operating officer Rex Drilon Wednesday said the company will no longer renew the three-year lease contract with businessman William Uy for Virra Mall which will expire in December.

“We chose not to renew the lease contract. We want to renovate the entire Greenhills complex, and it would be hard if we don’t have full control of the area. We will take over Virra Mall and renovate the entire area,” he said.

Virra Mall, a 22,000 square meter, three-story building located in the Greenhills complex, has become a popular outlet for pirated DVDs, VCDs and CDs that are openly sold in the various stores and stalls in the mall.

Various government antipiracy units have conducted raids at the stores selling pirated discs inside Virra Mall .

Virra Mall has been leased out since 2001 and Ortigas & Co. has not been able to renovate the area which has stuck out like a sore thumb amid the redevelopment of the entire Greenhills Shopping Center.

Ortigas & Co. is expected to close Virra Mall for the renovations that will start next January. The P300-million capital expenditures for the redevelopment are internally generated funds.

The plan is to develop Virra Mall into an IT-hub, where personal computers, laptops and other electronic goods would be sold.

Drilon said there will no more pirated DVDs and CDs to be sold by tenants at the new Virra Mall.

“We want to have a modern Virra Mall. We will have a new name, new shops and definitely no more pirated DVDs,” he said.

The SM Group of companies has already agreed to open five of its stores at the new Virra Mall, namely Toy Kingdom, Watsons, SM Appliance Center, SM Hardware and Our Home.

Phase 1 or ground floor of the new Virra Mall is expected to open in July 2005. The entire shopping area is scheduled to open in November 2005, in time for the Christmas holidays.

The redevelopment of Greenhills Shopping Center, which includes opening of new stores, restaurants, more parking spaces and refurbishments, has resulted in higher revenues and profits for Ortigas & Company.

Overall corporate revenues grew by 12 percent, while net income jumped 8 percent during the January to July period this year.

Regular leasing revenues rose by 23 percent in the first seven months of the year, while revenues from the tiange stalls, which Greenhills is famous for, went up by 15 percent. Since Ortigas & Co. is privately held, the company declined to give specific figures.

from http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/NewsStory...NESS&oid=61041

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i don't like that place anyway. plus the shops i frequent have not closed down but just transferred to shopesville.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yung ibang shops lilipat daw sa shoppesville and gateway eh.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmmm parang feeling ko may kamay dito si presiosa s.

nang madaming nag react sa "no to mosque" dito naman ang target which is ok naman.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    maski ang decs stopped operation on dec 31, ahead of the final closing of virra mall, and I heard they couldn't get another place in greenhills, puno na raw, plus they couldn't get future space allocation once the place reopens.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Buy 1 take 1 ang DVD last Dec 31.

Anyways our favorite pirates are moving somewhere near MC Home Depot in Ortigas.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    ok sana un, i mean, di talaga ganun kaganda ung virra mall(e.g. CRs, overall layout), and madalas magkasunog dun. i've also heard some rumors na hindi na structurally sound ung building na un. ang problema lang nga, malamang mas sosi ung itatayong building...which means tataas ung upa...which means mamahal na ung mga bilihin jan.

mamimiss ko ung shawarma't squid ball jan...although me ibang branches na ung food channel

saan saan kaya lilipat ung mga tindahan? me general trend ba kung san sila maglilipatan?

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Hopefully the hobby shops will be relocated to nearby areas within the Greenhills complex, and still maintain their prices. Ang mamahal kasi ng Bandai models sa Toy Kingdom.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    san yun mga hobby shops ma-move lang... pirated dvds wala na? buy 1 take 1? bakit walang nagsabi! sayang! riverbanks na lang...

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by pajerokid
    Buy 1 take 1 ang DVD last Dec 31.

Anyways our favorite pirates are moving somewhere near MC Home Depot in Ortigas.
    From what I know, si william uy will transfer his virra mall expertise to the building beside ortigas home depot, not mc depot. I believe its on Arnaiz Ave., passing through the new overpass. Ok duon. Ample parking space. Free pa, as of now. Yung kodak express that's there, duon ako nagpapadevelop kasi free ang parking. Bago pa ang makina. The building beside that, I heard, parang banawe type ang target naman nila. So ang mangyayari, merong ortigas home depot, beside it would be a tiangge a la greenhills, and beside that would be a banawe-car parts/accessories.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Goodbye, VirraMall!