New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Let's share ideas and give advice. Photos are most welcome!

We are planning on having a small vegetable garden this year. This has been on my to do list for several years! I have a black thumb so I will be getting some help on planting my vegetables. Okra, Eggplant, and talbos ng kamote for starters. Those are easy to grow daw

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Here's something I found online and would like to try:

Unbelievable Facts: 8 Vegetables You Only Need To Buy Once, Then Regrow Forever

8 Vegetables You Only Need To Buy Once, Then Regrow Forever

It’s easier to go to the grocery but growing these vegetables from kitchen scraps would be totally badass! It does require some time though but the benefits riding on the project are many. It will save you money and you need no farm; you can do it indoors. All you need to do is use fresh scraps. Do not use stuff that has been composting for weeks. When regrowing the plants, make sure you provide them with enough light and water.

1. Scallions

Image Source: The Collective Intelligence | Resource for News, Facts, Oddities, Science and Technology.
    Regrow them using their discarded roots. Leave an inch of the scallion attached to the root then put them in a glass of water. Place the glass of water in a room that’s well-lit.

2. Garlic

Image Source: endoRIOT
    Garlic sprouts can be grown from the garlic clove and have a mild flavor from that of garlic. The sprouts can be added to pasta, salads and other dishes. When they begin to sprout, have them placed in a glass that has little water.

3. Bok Choy

Image Source: imgur: the simple image sharer
    In a well lit area, place the Bok Choy’s root ends in water. Give them 1-2 weeks then transplant them to a pot that has soil. It will grow a new full head.

4. Carrots

Image Source: Fidgety Fingers
    Carrot greens can be regrown from carrot tops. Have the carrot tops put in a dish that has little water. Place the dish in a room that is well-lit or on a window sill. Carrot greens are a bit bitter but when chopped up together with garlic and sweetened with vinegar, they can be used in salads.

5. Basil

Image Source: The Urban Gardener
    Basil cuttings can be used to grow new basil. Put basil clippings that have stems of 3-4 inches in a glass of water. Place them in direct sunlight and when the roots get to 2 inches long, transfer them to pots. With time, they will grow into full basil plants. Be sure to change the water constantly though, so they don’t get slimy.

6. Celery

You can use the leftover celery bottom for this. Cut the base off and place it in a shallow bowl or saucer in the sun. The leaves will thicken and grow with time in the middle of the base. Transfer it to soil after 3 days.

7. Romaine Lettuce

Image Source: Healthy Body Now
    Romaine lettuce can be grown from the bottom of a lettuce head. Put stumps of the romaine lettuce in a ½ inch water. Make sure the water level is at ½ inch. Few days after, transplant the romaine lettuce into soil once new leaves and roots appear. The leaves can grow up to twice the size. Cabbages can also be regrown in the same way.

8. Cilantro

If you place the stems of cilantro in a glass of water, they will grow. Transplant them when the roots become long enough, to a pot that has soil. Place them in a room with ample lighting. The plants will be fully grown in a few months.
    Share these tips with friends and family!

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Try your craft on mongo beans and tomatoes first. Easy as pie to grow.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    hi cathy, tomatoes, eggplants, green chilli's...they can grow even in pots, plastic containers or cement sacks. you can grow the seeds yourself and transplant them in pots or you can buy seedlings ready for transplanting.

for okra, it grow from seeds diretso na sa lupa till bumunga. for kamote, you need the matured "tangkay" to plant, but it will occupy some space once it's vine grows.

try sitaw, ampalaya and pipino too, they grow from seeds directly sa lupa but you need to put a support like a stick or frames for it to climb and grow its vines.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Wow! I had no idea that tomatoes are easy to grow! I really have a black thumb. Even basil dies on me

I would like to grow pipino because my fat lab eats that regularly. I'll save a lot of money. It's P70 per kilo din!

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    If camote dies on someone, the person is hopeless.. as a gardener...

7. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Those 8 vegies including your pipino are not easy to grow.

Yes. Try those vegies mentioned by monty. They can be gown with minimal care. Isama mo na kundol, patola, upo, at kalabasa.

Sent from my HM NOTE 1TD using Tsikot Car Forums mobile app

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post
    If camote dies on someone, the person is hopeless.. as a gardener...
    "Kamote" ba siya sir? :D

Been trying to plant chili peppers since early this year; nagpabili pa ako ng organic jalapeno pepper seeds. i used the whole pack, nagamatay lahat. Next i tried siling labuyo, still no go.

For some reason, they sprout out of the ground quite fast...but they never seem to get past sprouting the first two leaves. They'll stay stunted for a very long time, then eventually die off. Can't figure it out

Trip trip lang, we threw a piece of ginger onto a pot, ayun nabuhay naman. Then i noticed that the US red potatoes on sale at Hypermart was starting to sprout from the eyes, so i sliced a piece and put it in a pot. Buhay pa naman ngayon.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    Try your craft on mongo beans and tomatoes first. Easy as pie to grow.
    nagtry ako ng magtanim ng mongo beans pero ang dali nya namatay.. buti pa yung bell pepper ko malaki na.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    may garden ako nung elem pa ako. besides vegetable gardening being a required subject in our school (i grew up in the province) my father was also an agriculturist so we always had a vegetable garden at home. we mostly planted pechay, cabbage, okra, eggplant, tomatoes, ampalaya, upo, sili (both labuyo and the one used in dinuguan, don't know the name), camote and ube. we also had stands of banana and papaya around the house.

for most vegetables you will need to plant the seeds first in a seedling box/bed. if you buy the seeds in packets it will normally have instructions on how deep the soil cover should be. for most it will be no more than 1/8 to 1/4 inch. you will need to provide shade (like a heavy close-weave net or some dayami/rice straw on a trellis) to block out direct sunlight. remember it only blocks direct sunlight but not all light. it should let some light in, like 50% light. the lack of this shade is probably the reason why your seedlings whither after sprouting. direct sunlight will dry them out. another use of this is to lessen the impact of rain drops that will wash the soil away and unearth the roots of the frail seedlings causing them to wilt. water using a sprinkler (lagadera), do not use a water hose as you will just wash the seeds away. if you don't have one, just punch a few small holes on a tin can and that should do very well. that is all that i had then, really.

when the seedlings are ready for transplant (for most, after the appearance of the 2nd row of leaves) prepare a furrow as per the instruction in the seed packet. for pechay this will be about 4 inches high and about 1 foot apart. bigger distance for cabbage, more still for tomatoes, okra and eggplant. the bigger the adult plant the bigger the distance between them. the distance between furrows is also the distance between seedlings. so if the distance is 1 foot the seedlings will be in a 1 foot square distance to each other. also, if you have a big garden that may be several furrows deep, make sure you leave a path for you to walk through when you are doing watering, cultivating and weeding. make sure you water the seedling box/bed before you get the seedlings for transplanting. this will loosen the soil and allow the roots to be pulled without getting damaged. if possible use a small trowel (a spoon works very well) to dig the seedlings out, soil and roots together. plant the seedlings on the crests of the furrows in such a way that the plant stalk is a bit deeper in the soil than how it was in the seedling bed. this is to make sure the roots don't dry out. use the dayami/rice stalk you had earlier to cover the soil around the transplanted seedling. this further protects the roots from drying out and also prevents soil from getting eroded when watering. i remember before i will only transplant seedlings late in the afternoon so that at least the roots had time to heal a little before the seedlings are exposed to a noon day sun. i use to prop up big leaves beside each transplanted seedling to give it some shade for at least a few days. when i see new leaves sprouting then i remove the shade.

i never used fertilizers before (although my father had a fertilizer store) as we had plenty of chicken and pig manure that i mix with the soil while preparing the furrows. for the urban gardener using chemical fertilizer might be your only choice, but last time i was at handyman i saw some natural fertilizers there (guano). as for pesticides, well, you decide. i would not use anything stronger than "sevin" (sevidol?), which easily washes away with water. do not to use it on pechay and cabbage that you will harvest in 2 weeks time because you will be eating the leaves you spray it on! so yes you can use it on leafy vegetables but only when the plants are still young, not when the leaves are the ones you will harvest later. unfortunately you can find "sevin" only in the province, haven't seen it in metro manila. the only one i saw being sold at handyman is "malathione", which is a contact poison (but not very lethal to humans). it's the perfect solution for aphids. you can kill a carabao with this by simply rubbing it on the beast's skin. although it is safe stay away if you do not know how to use it. for weeds there is "folidol" but nothing beats a good pair of hands to keep the weeds away.

since this thread is about urban gardening, may i suggest you do not plant all the seeds in the packet in one go, especially for fast growing leafy vegetables like pechay. space the planting about 1 week, planting just enough seeds that you think you will be harvesting per week. otherwise you will end up with baskets full of pechay. your neighbors will be very happy though!
    Last edited by yebo; August 18th, 2014 at 06:30 PM.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast