New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Im not surprised. Last batch yata kami before nagkaroon ng anti hazing law but after the law was implemented, hazing is still there. part na rin kasi ng tradition.

When I was in UP medyo wala ka masyadong options since most students have orgs or frats or sororities and sometimes dun pa naka-base kung saan ka nakatira. sometimes it helps being a member but sometimes hindi.

minsan kasi mahirap din i-control yun mga members lalo na kapag higher batch na or alumni. kaya minsan napapaaway. problema lang eh damay lahat kayo. meron talaga mga frat na malalakas ang loob lalo na kapag may mga alumni na political figure or government official.

personally, I do believe that joining would be a waste of time... sa dinami-dami ko brods na natulungan, ni isa wala man lang nakatulong sa kin para maabot ko kung ano ako ngayon, pero i still consider them as my friends.

pero i dont generalize, meron naman ok at meron din hindi. Ang hazing ay di limited sa fraternities. lahat ng organization sa UP meron initiation. a batchmate of mine got injured sa trust station wherein papaluin nya yun hawak na knife. problem is mali yun pagkaka-implement at puro babae yun nagpa-implement kaya ayun hiwa tagusan yun palad ni batchmate.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    What I can't understand is the mindset of these people who are so desperate to join a fraternity that they let people beat them up just to be taken in. Their parents sacrificed a lot to raise and care for them, then they're just gonna let a couple of these f*cked up morons beat them black and blue or worse kill them?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well... it's not limited to fraternities, note the ROTC hazings...

It's kinda childish, really, a way for people to go "one-up" on each other. To prove their damn superiority.

I did get initiated once, but when I was asked if I wanted to be part of the next batch's initiation... I passed.

I kind of lost interest after I got whacked in a rumble. (EDIT: actually, we got f*cking ambushed... the assholes even had a get-away vehicle) I joined on the urgings of a friend, and the organization was doing some good stuff, scholarships for needy students, fund-raisers, activities...

But damned if I want to get into fights with other people just because two assholes piss each other off.

And no way am I taking a swipe at a defenseless person in the name of "brotherhood".

-----

Until M2 asked, I had no plans of posting in this thread. It's old news, and kinda disheartening to me.

In my six or seven years at UP, we had at least one death a year from hazing.

In my time in High School, we had maybe between 1 death every other year to up to 2 deaths a year from hazing. And this is for seventh grade students. (Can't remember the frat, pretty sure it's "Samahang Rainbow Brite")... The bastards.

People join frats out of a need to belong. And for some part, frats do help give lonely and not-so-lonely students a larger social circle than before. I mean, look at some of the guys killed in UP over the past years. Honor students, friendly, outgoing, but also in frats. It's just their bad luck that some misguided "brad" picked a fight with another misguided "brad" whose frat doesn't know the meaning of honor.

And as long as there are outcasts, misfits and introverted loners who can be lured by the call of "brotherhood", and as long as they go to the wrong frats... these kinds of things will still go on.
    Last edited by niky; August 31st, 2007 at 03:25 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Brotherhood...ha! I doubt if any prominent Sigma Rhoans would want to be identified with the suspects, or aid in their continued evasion from the law. Which defeats the purpose of a frat ironically.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    I mean, look at some of the guys killed in UP over the past years. Honor students, friendly, outgoing, but also in frats.
    A former classmate of mine, Niño Calinao, fits the bill almost perfectly, except for one small detail: he wasn't a member of any fraternity. Yet on February 19, 1999, he was ruthlessly killed by one, shot five times at close range.

And all because he was mistaken for a Scintilla Juris fratman, accused of beating up a member of -- surprise, the Sigma Rho fraternity.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    sa frat namin wala naman nangyayaring ganyan

- Alpha Beta Max

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yeah, I remember that. Specifically since one of my friend's dorm-mates was Scintilla Juris.

Ibang klase, no? When I got whacked with a lead-pipe, that was one of the first public incidents in UPM in a long time... after that, it went downhill. There were a group of our brads who wanted blood, there was a group of us who were willing to wait for judgement... especially considering we had friends and classmates amongst the moderates in the "other" frat and witnesses who could point out who did it.

Long story short... it became a game of tit-for-tat, till the other frat did something so stupid, it landed some of them in jail. That, above all things that happened, gave me more satisfaction than any malicious beatings my brads back then gave in retaliation.

After seeing the sort of mindset and behavior that went into frats in College, after hoping that it would be different from high school and seeing the good side of the frats, I kind of soured of the whole thing.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i am tempted to post what i think of these "fraternities"...but i'm too tired to deal with a flame war right now :devil:

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    not to generalize but

joining a frat is a sure way to make enemies

add: like niky says the frats prey on lonely students who have a need to belong. This is common among adolescents, hence most teenagers dress, speak an act the same- adolescents still dont have a sense of their own identity. If the frats recruited only older (non-adolescent) people, I doubt theyd have even a fraction of the members they'd have now.
    Last edited by Chip; September 1st, 2007 at 10:08 AM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hinde ako naaawa sa kanya...naaawa ako sa pamilya niya.....pinagaral ng magulang para makapagisip ng tama, pero katangahan ang ginawa...kung hinde ba naman bobo eh bakit siya pumayag na gulpihin siya...

he deserved it....tanga kasi eh

hanggat meron nagpapauto sa mga frat hinde matitigil yan...

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Fraternity Hazing - uso pa din?