New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Saw it on the news... Condolences to the families.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    I actually was on my way home from Subic and was on the Skyway at about 2:30pm.

There was slight traffic build up and we saw an ambulance, a news crew ABC 5 ata if im not mistaken. Then my wife's friend saw from a far that there were bodies laid down and faces covered. I did my best to look away when we passed them. You cant help but feel bad as we could see na bata yung mga naka higa.

Oh well... life...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Rollover prone talaga mga cars like Fortuner. Truck base, high ground clerance tapos medyo payat... They could have survived kung meron curtain airbags...
    Curtain airbags won't save your life if you're not belted in. Again, supplementary restraint system, not primary. And considering the vehicle rolled a few times, even saving them from the first impact would not have been enough.

I never get on the highway without making my kid buckle up. SOP.

Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    Otherwise, this is not a case like Kenneth Quintal, who was racing his Fortuner with an Isuzu Trooper and managed to spin out, causing a whole lot of damage, injuries and a fatality to others
    Kenneth Quintal lost control all on his own... the rear end came out and around over the bumps (remember, his was a first-gen with the ultra-stiff rear springs). The Isuzu Trooper driver was not racing him. He was merely an unfortunate victim in all this, as he had just entered the Skyway when he was confronted by the spinning Fortuner.

-

It's very easy to blame "overspeeding" for the accident, but even at the "legal" 100 km/h, it's very dangerous if you experience a tire blow-out in a vehicle that tall.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    May the Perpetual Light Shine On their souls, and please God take care of them...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Baket according to news there were others on board and critical sa hospital? Totoo ba to?

It saids 4 killed 4 hurt.. So total 8 sila dun?

http://www9.gmanews.tv/largevideo/re...t-along-skyway

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Left tire blew out. That's what caused the accident daw.

Why was the damage so bad? The same thing happened to me before. I just noticed that the steering became heavy and I had difficulty controlling the car when turning a corner but I still had control.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    Left tire blew out. That's what caused the accident daw.

Why was the damage so bad? The same thing happened to me before. I just noticed that the steering became heavy and I had difficulty controlling the car when turning a corner but I still had control.
    The left tire could've been damaged during the impact with the barrier or curb. A friend of mine also blew a front passenger tire on his X-Trail doing 140kph. Beyond the loud bang of a disintegrating tire, everything else was uneventful.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    that is also my question, kung high speed then pumutok ang gulong, mawawala ba talaga sa control? 'coz I was thinking it's shouldn't be, we always see diba yun "cops" TV show, yun mga high speed chase eh wala na nga gulong rim na lang tumatakbo pa ng mabilis yun mga sasakyan.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's a tall, rear-wheel drive vehicle. A blow-out will cause it to swerve to one side, and if the driver lifts off the gas or brakes suddenly because of the blow-out, it'll swerve even more sharply. The X-Trail is front-wheel drive based (even if it's AWD), which means it'll tend to track straight with a blown front tire... same with most compact cars.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    ^
    So the best way to do is to let the car stop by itself?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Fortuner Skyway accident (4 perished)