New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Close family ties is an important Pinoy value. But, it's certainly not unique to the Philippines. Rather, it's more of an Asian trait.

It's also a misnomer to say Westerners don't have close family ties. They may be more independent and live far away from each other which seem to indicate a disconnect. But come Thanksgiving or the Christmas Holidays, I see many of them congregate in homes. We're the same way here. We always come home to relatives in NV during long holidays. But, we try to live far enough apart (from them) to avoid the politics and spats they often have.

As for "utang na loob"..... forget it. When our daughter(s) grow up, they don't owe us anything besides trying to make a better life for themselves. We'll be there for them should they stumble. But, no. They don't owe me and the wife anything. We're the ones who brought them to this world. It's our (the wife and I) burden, not the kids'.

Add: The same goes for those we're supporting in the Philippines. They don't owe anything back to us. All we asked of them is to do their best in their studies and make a better life for themselves.
    That is good attitude mr Pekto. Wish it was here. Here pipol make it feel to child they owe them.

Other child ask all from parent like they owe them. They do not even look for job. Even father give them job. They do not go there own destiny like there. Sad.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 6shooter View Post
    Other child ask all from parent like they owe them. They do not even look for job. Even father give them job. They do not go there own destiny like there. Sad.
    That's a problem almost everywhere in the US. I try not to spoil my 1st daughter. But, my wife keeps spoiling her. Hopefully, we'll do a better job with daughter #2.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth View Post
    .... kaya ayun, ipinang-downpayment ng xrm ang perang ipinapadala ng anak.

nag-breakdown ang anak. halos hindi na nga daw siya kumain ng tatlong beses sa isang araw parang lang makapagpadala ng pera para sa operasyon ng inay niya. yun pala e ginamit lang na pang-regalo sa kapatid niya.

true story. what do you guys think?

(OT na ba? sorry kung OT. pero parang part pa din kasi ito ng "close family ties.)
    A few years ago, I would've been outraged. Today, I just say, buti nalang I was raised to trust the big things only to myself.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Are filipino values still applicable?