New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    FILIPINO DONATES HIS BMW TO HELP THE POOR
    by: Anna Meloto
    April 13, 2004

In a symbolic gesture of the rich giving up their prized possessions to help the poor, Greg Monteclaro, a successful businessman and a Couples for Christ leader in the south sector, donated his BMW to Gawad Kalinga. His almost brand new luxury car will be raffled off to rich patrons to fund 70 houses worth 3.5 million. They will be distributing 500 tickets worth 25,000 pesos each. When asked why he decided to give up the car, he explains, "I used to think that I had all of this success because I was good. I now realize that all this is not mine, I am just a steward."

Greg is no stranger to poverty. He left home when he was 12 years old and from then on started fending for himself in the streets by taking on odd jobs and using his exceptional ability at chess to make money. He became a professional chess player which allowed him to travel and make important connections. He started his own company in 1983, which became one of the biggest exporting companies in the country. He was well on his way to attain his dream of making it to the top 100 corporations in 12 years when a fire broke out in his warehouse and he lost everything. He was already a member of CFC when it happened but it was only because of this incident that he came to take his faith seriously and looked to God for salvation. In time, as he dedicated more and more of his time in service to the community, he was also able to recover financially.

Since the start of Gawad Kalinga, Greg has embraced the work as the fulfillment of God's vision through Couples for Christ. He has already spent more than 5 million of his own "padugo" (sacrifice) to set up four GK sites in the south. His generosity springs from his love for God, love for family and love for country. With passion in his voice, he says further, "This community is part of my family. I shall give equal opportunity to the poor as my son and daughter. If I don't help the poor children, my children will have no chance."

Greg is the first Filipino to give up his BMW to help the poor this country. Early this year, a young Englishman gave up his own BMW M3 to build 60 houses in Bulacan. More and more Filipinos are following their examples. To date, two more Filipinos are donating a BMW and a FORD Expedition each to fund the work of Gawad Kalinga. They are sending a very clear message to the Filipino people – that it is more important for their family's future that there are no more slums in this country than that they are driven in a BMW or FORD Expedition. Gawad Kalinga is more than just helping the poor out of our excess. It is about re-building a nation through sacrifice. By their example, they hope to inspire others to prove their love for this country by investing their time and their wealth for the future of their children.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    that is very nice to know...very unorthodox type of helping others....but i think kaniya ka niyang style yan ng pag sacrifice...kahit pa mayaman sila...meron paring sense of sacrifice ang mga taong ganyan..and for a good cause pa.

may pag asa pa ang taong mabuhay na puno ng pagmamahal.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    grabe.. thats what you call God's works..

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    dell..bigay mo na alfa mo.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    ngek!

hidne bale pag may pera na ako na tulad nun.. eh hinde pa nga ako kumikita eh.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    aba mabait nga sha na tao... ummmmm bka tumakbo yang pulitiko.. tsk tsk. sana ang pagtulong ng mga tao ay sarili nilang kagustuhan at bukas sa kanilang puso ang pagtulong. KARAMIHAN naman kse sa atin tumutulong dahil meron tayong gustong kapalit. sana nga malinis ang kanyang hangarin.

salamat.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    torque..

pag tatakbo ako botohin mko.hahahaha

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    haha oo ba.. ako pa hindi naman malaki presho ko e hahaha.. madali lng ako kausap, if the price is right... hehe

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    piso.. un lang kaya ko.hahahaha

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sino kaya unang mag donate na taga Tsikot...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Filipino Donates His Bmw To Help The Poor