New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Guys,

Ask ko lang usong uso ang akyat bahay gang lalo na dito sa q.c. any advice on how we can prevent this? What preparations are you doin? thanks

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yep uso pa iyan. Pero usually mga small time and hindi sila nakakapasok ng mga bahay dito sa lugar namin (they take bikes, lawn stuff, even clothes). Hanggang mga bakuran lang sila kaya nilagyan na namin ng scope yung baril para mas madali masipat. Tapos flood lights all around.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    yep...nasungkit yung bago kong Dockers slacks na kabibili ko pa lang na dapat ay gagamitin ko next day! Galing nung magnanakaw pinili pa yung mga nakasampay na branded stuff........like levis jeans and shirts!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sakin naman yung Wrangler kong polo (parang yung polo ng mga bodyguard). Tapos binitbit na rin bisikleta ng kapitbahay (get away vehicle?). hehehe.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    lupet ng mga magnanakaw sa inyo ah, buti kasya sakinila yung ninakaw nila...hehe!

6. angst Guest
    yup. sa house namin before sa project 6.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    for prevention.....

nakita ko minsan d2 sa may MC depot sa may ortigas yung wireless security system nila....me mga motion detectors, glass-break up detectors, siren and so on...libre demo pag napadaan ka sa tapat nila....... 40 K plus yata for a door alarm, console and a motion detector.....

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Since we can't know beforehand if an "akyat bahay" attack will occur when we are at home or out, let's just take the worse case scenario and assume we will be in the house when it happens.

Actually, I consider a firearm as a very last option in the event of a burglary. It would be infinitely better not to have a thief target your house in the first place. To do this, you must make yourself a "hard target" so that a thief would pass you up in favor of an easier score.

To do this, we need to establish layers of defense both outside and inside our abode.

Let's discuss the first layer: Does your dwelling have a perimeter wall separating your front door front the street? Do you have lights outside your house that you keep lit at night so that "shady characters" can easily be spotted? Do you have a dog or other means of alerting you to the presence of unfamiliar persons? Are there tall bushes or shrubs that could be used by intruders to avoid detection? Is the interior of your house visible from the street, making it easy for persons to see what appliances and other goodies you have inside? Do you and the members of your household keep a sharp eye out for suspicious-looking people whenever you open your front gate or garage door? Remember, professional thieves usually observe a house several times before making a hit. If anyone I don't know seems to be loitering about the neighborhood, I make eye contact with him and let him know that I am aware of his presence.

Layer two: the front door. Is you front door made of a sturdy material such as solid hardwood or steel? Does your front door have more than one lock, with at least another lock being a deadbolt that is difficult to open from outside? Do you have additional locking devices inside your front door that can only be opened from the inside? Do you leave an extra set of keys in a "secret" location outside, which isn't really going to be hard to find for a thief who knows all the hiding places? Can your ground floor windows --which should have grills-- be locked from the inside, and are they resistant to being pried open? Does your front door make noise when it is opened, thus alerting you whenever someone enters (I intentionally do not oil the hinges so that they squeak when the door swings... chimes are also a good idea)? Does your household help have instructions to not let strangers into the house? Thieves have even posed as utility personnel checking for gas or water leaks, etc. to gain access to a house.

Layer three: the safe room. If, despite all these precautions, thieves still manage to get inside your house, you must now make the decision of whether to confront them or retreat to your safe room and call the police from there. Now, for a situation where you have multiple armed robbers --the type that got into Sonny Parsons house-- then I would strongly recommend a tactical retreat. Gather your family into the safe room, barricade yourselves behind something solid, get out your firearm, and brace yourselves. Hopefully, they will be content with ransacking your living room and just leave you in peace. Of course, the decision to engage or retreat is a personal one, and your circumstances may differ from mine, so I leave it to you and pray you never have to be caught in such a dilemma. Since ordinary folks like us don't have the means to build a "Panic Room" ala-Jodie Foster, our scaled-down safe room must have at least a solid door and door frame like the one for your front door. Do you have a cellphone that you can use to make an emergency call, in case your landline has been cut or is otherwise not working? Do you have a means of safety getting out of your safe room through a backdoor or fire escape?

No matter how long I've been preparing for it, it still pains me to realize that we have gone so low as a nation that we have to be ready to defend ourelves in our own home. I mean, a generation or two ago, people were living in nipa huts, and everyone knew their neighbor, and there was a sense of safety. Today, there is a great disparity between the rich and poor, law-abiding citizens are forced to take up arms as criminals get more daring in carrying out their activities. Sorry for turning this into a rant, but I fear that guns and security counter-measures won't solve our crime problems. As long as there is inequality, injustice and corruption, things can only get worse.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yung 18 speed mountain bike ko...
    US na Huffy..shimano gears...
    huhuhuhuhu..
    Jan 2 1995 nung ninakaw.
    nasa loob ng bakuran yun..

yung wristwatch na favorite ko..
    ninakaw ng katulong..
    and a few bills..
    sana d na nya kinuha watch ko.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    to minimize the stuff in your yard getting robbed, if possible, don't leave things/valuables outdoors overnight or when no one is at home. grabe, kami nga, pati yung batya na may yupi na, iniwan lang namin overnight, kinabukasan, wala na

getting robbed by someone who is already inside your house is even more irritating. lets just be careful how we screen our helpers and the amount of trust we give to them.

me, i screen my househelpers thoroughly since i entrust my children to them when my wife and i are at work. i also teach my kids to report any "suspicious" behavior to us, and that they (the kids) should never be afraid of the yaya.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Ever been robbed at home?