New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Right to die: Colombian man ends life with gov't approval

Inquirer.net, 06, 2015 10:51am

BOGOTA, Colombia --- Dr. Gustavo Quintana walks out of a modest, two-floor apartment building in southern Bogota. Inside his black doctor's bag are vials containing anesthesia and muscle relaxants, a syringe and a rubber tourniquet. The man known in Colombia as Dr. Death has just ended the life of his 234th patient: a middle-aged woman suffering from incurable stomach cancer.

For years, Quintana and a handful of other physicians have been performing what they consider mercy killings in a semi-clandestine state, at risk of prosecution and amid widespread rejection from other doctors and church officials.

But their work took a step out of the shadows on Friday when, after weeks of heated public debate and last-minute legal challenges, 79-year-old Ovidio Gonzalez became the first Colombian to die as a result of government-sanctioned euthanasia.

Gonzalez, 79, died at a hospital in the western city of Pereira after suffering from terminal mouth cancer the past five years. His death is the first in accordance with an April decree by the Health Ministry mandating that clinics perform the procedure when requested by terminally ill patients.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    surely Church will not agree

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    First thing that entered my mind was if it could be clannicide instead... and that the public can vote to have a certain family as a test case.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    First thing that entered my mind was if it could be clannicide instead... and that the public can vote to have a certain family as a test case.
    I'd spend money for that, bro...lalo na kung yung pamilya eh mga naghahari-harian sa Makati.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    yung isang boss sa company namin snagbaril nalang sa ulo dahil di na makayanan yung prostate cancer.

si dr. kevorkian pinaglaban niya yung right ng pasyenteng mamatay. sa tingin niya dami niyang natulungan.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by NightRock View Post
    surely Church will not agree
    yes, the catholic church, for one, and several other churches, for another. they are vanguards of morality, and we can't exercise our own free will there because they know better.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008

8. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    ^ under our jurisdiction, this is murder, and murder, when the evidence of guilt is strong, is not bailable, but because of the relationships of the parties, we call the murder as parricide.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Martinez View Post
    ^ under our jurisdiction, this is murder, and murder, when the evidence of guilt is strong, is not bailable, but because of the relationships of the parties, we call the murder as parricide.
    Bro, that is why I never took life insurance on me or on my wife to eliminate the motive angle.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamur View Post
    Bro, that is why I never took life insurance on me or on my wife to eliminate the motive angle.
    Bro,- your company's (term) life insurance should be heavy on the executives.

And so, wifey should be aware that she is by default,- your main beneficiary....

"The measure of a man is what he does with power" LJIOHF!

26.9K _/_/_/_/_/:cat:_/_/_/_/_/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Euthanasia is legal in Colombia, would it be possible here in the Philippines?