New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    basta pag naglaro ka ng Civ III talagang bumabanat yung civilization mo pag industrialized/high-tech na

not to mention you unlock all the cool military units

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Badkuk

may Ages kasi ang evolution ng economies ng mundo

First, pre 19s century, Wealth is created sa agriculture, Agcriculture economy
    During the 19s century, andyan na ang Industrial Revolution
    Ngayon Information Age na.

Thats how wealth is created during those times, kaya pulubi ang agriculture based na country nowadays kasi nga ang Output ng agriculture are low value, or low input lang.

Unlike sa mga industrial goods, isang container van pwede million ang value. So pag nag trade ang agricultural country sa industrial country, usually nag kakaroon ng Deficit ang agricultural country.

PAg nag nangyari yan, in general currency adjustment para ma correct ang imbalance. Kaya pigil ang Government gumastos or "print money" or else inflation. Pag ang supply ng pera medyo mahirap, apektado ang consumer spending etc etc, babagsak negosyo blah blah

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    agricultural products can be bartered d'ba? or at least here in the Phils., bec. of the absence of cash in some rural areas. is this a good thing or a bad thing?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered
    basta pag naglaro ka ng Civ III talagang bumabanat yung civilization mo pag industrialized/high-tech na

not to mention you unlock all the cool military units
    OT: Doon sa Civ (yung pre-Alpha Centauri) ang saya maglaro. May tanks me sa 1800's. Tanks vs musketeers. Wakekek! Late 1800s may aircraft carrier na, feel na feel mo god ka.

OT2: sir M54, di ko ma-gets sig nyo

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Agricultural prices are kept artificially low because of trade subsidies in the US and EU.

A US farmer, for example, can receive enough subsidy to buy their produce from a third world farmer, and still sell at a profit.

One other problem that most people don't realize we have... is that tropical countries have poorer soil and water resources than temperate zone countries... like the US. In other words, water and good topsoil is very scarce as compared to colder countries. Ibang klase, no?

I'm supposing as fossil oil supplies grow short, and the highly industrialized farming techniques of first world farmers become less cost effective, third world farmers will be able to start selling vegetable fuels for more than they could get from growing food. But that's probably many years in the future.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by flagg
    OT2: sir M54, di ko ma-gets sig nyo
    mascot ko yan

he's my fast

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    nabasa ko rin sa Samuelson that while there are improved efficiencies on the supply side(harvesters, use of satellites), demand is more or less slow to catch up. it had something to do with price elasticity, pero basically elastic supply + inelastic demand = low prices. i think some countries actually give out money to farmers to not boost production

on the other hand, last week i read an article about some Chinese group wanting to develop an agri/industrial park in the philippines. kung hindi nga profitable ang agri, bakit me foreigners pang nag iinvest in it here? umaasa ba sila sa mga tax perks/incentives from the government? or is it more of a question of sustainability -- i.e. the venture would be profitable in the first 5 - 10 years, so pipilitin kong makaprofit during that time, then iabandon na ung venture after it becomes unprofitable?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ah,agricultural vs. Industrial economies, the age old debate.

You guys all have a point. Just a point of view here, i'd rather we had a well-developed agricultural-based economy simply because it makes use of what we already have in abundance ... land (though not all of it is suitable for produce), water and labor. At least, you can be secure in the knowledge that the people in your country will not go hungry. Pres. Marcos and Pres. Aquino tried to make it work with their land reform programs...but there was a hitch. When the government tried to buy land from the landowners, they sold at a high price. Plus, when the land tenants were finally given an interest in the land in the concept of an owner, they just as quickly sold them and wasted the money on sabong and inom. The land they tilled became smaller and thus the tractors they used were no longer efficient to maintain.

Apparently, there was no follow-through program to see to it that the land tenants themselves become self-sufficient. Hay, if only.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Yung mga farmer beneficiaries ng land reform, marami sa kanilan noong nagkalupa pina trabaho sa iba o kaya pinaupa kundi man binenta agad pagkatapos ng prohibition period. Bumili ang marami ng TV, Ref at iba pang appliances o di kaya ng jeep at namasada na lang. Marami sa mga lupa ay di na naalagan ng mabuti. Kulang na ang mga panggastos sa tamang binhi at pataba. Kalaunlaunan ay nasira ang mga appliances at ang jeepney ay panay na ang sira. Kaya ngayon marami sa kanila balik sa marginal farming o namamasukan na lamang. Masama pa marami sa kanilang mga anak ay nakipagsapalaran dito sa Kamaynilaan. Masuwerte na ang iba na nakakuha ng trabaho bilang OFWs.

Of course, may ilan din namang success stories, pero iilan lang ito.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk
    i read somewhere that for a country to prosper, it has to move away from an agriculture-based economy first. the only explanation i could think of is that, at least according to adam smith, division of labor is hard to do in agriculture -- which i also don't understand. siguro nung kapanahunan ni smith hindi nga pwede, pero don't we already have tractors, threshers, etc?

pwede po paki explain?
    I didn't read the other posts, but my interpretation of the statement is that a country should lessen it's dependence on agriculture-generated income.

If that's what the statement means, then I totally agree. IMO a country whose income is mostly generated from agricultural exports/products will have a hardtime catching up with 1st world countries in terms of beefing up it's foreign reserves. One good example is Japan after the second world war.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
economics and agriculture