New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    abokado tree.sobrang lamig sa ilalim dahil sa malalaki ang mga dahon nito.at may benepisyo kapa kapag namunga.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Ito yung book

List of native/endemic trees.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Native, exotic | INQUIRER.net

Native, exotic
    By: Michael L. Tan / *inquirerdotnet
    Philippine Daily Inquirer / 12:08 AM August 08, 2014

When Typhoon “Glenda” roared through the Philippines last month, it left a trail of uprooted trees. We counted 138 of those uprooted trees at the University of the Philippines Diliman campus.

The mildest adverse effect of the uprooted trees was road obstruction. Other forms of damage were more serious, the trees falling on houses and vehicles. A number fell on electric posts, complicating the efforts of the Manila Electric Co. to restore electricity. Fortunately, there was no human casualty from the falling trees.

Topping the list of uprooted trees were the acacias, those much-beloved trees planted by the pioneer batches of UP students who first came to the new Diliman campus in 1948. You find them all over the campus, especially around the academic oval, providing shade for hundreds of joggers who come to Diliman every day

Also among the uprooted trees were a number of star apple or kaimito trees, again much-loved by UP students, especially those who lived in dorms. There are so many of these trees on UP property that informal settlers in the area have been able to harvest (without UP permission) the fruits every summer, and to sell them on the roadside.

So common are the acacia and star apple trees that we tend to think of them as “Filipino” trees. Turns out they’re not. Biologists call them “exotic,” meaning they were introduced into the Philippines.

I have to clarify that “native” trees do not necessarily mean the plants are found only in the Philippines. Such plant and animal species would be called “endemic.” When we say “native,” we mean native to the geographical region where we are. What we call “native” are plants that may be distributed through Southeast Asia, and sometimes even further into New Guinea and the South Pacific islands.

Plants introduced from Central America, the other side of the world, are no longer called “native” but exotic. These exotic species may thrive well after they’re introduced into the Philippines because some of the conditions in their original habitat might be found here as well. Plants native to Central America found a hospitable semitropical climate here, so the plants can survive… until they meet our climactic extremes, like Glenda and its strong, sustained winds.

The acacia trees had relatively shallow roots, which made them easy to uproot. I haven’t quite figured out why star apple trees are so vulnerable, but I do remember many of them surrounding the houses I lived in and being damaged by typhoons.

Amok trees

Back at UP Diliman, several gmelina trees also came crashing down…. much to the relief of several building administrators. The gmelina, together with mahogany, have been favorites for tree-planting projects because they grow rapidly.

Too rapidly, unfortunately. The gmelina trees grow quickly because their roots spread out quickly. They’re voracious in sucking up water, depriving nearby plants of their fair share and causing them to stunt. The roots, meanwhile, snake their way to incredible distances, sometimes destroying other plants or, in urban areas, the pavements.

Sounds like a horror movie, right? Plants gone amok, on a rampage.

I don’t want to demonize these exotic species. What’s important is planning our tree-planting more carefully. Sixty years ago, even UP’s biology professors were not aware of the implications of planting acacia trees. They probably knew these would become grand, towering trees, and that was what was important for a university campus.

What we’re seeing is evolution, and natural selection, at work. Native tree species adapted, across thousands of years, to local conditions, from the types of soil to the climate. Biology professor Perry Ong recently showed me a computerized analysis of aerial surveys of forest areas in various parts of the country. What is most striking is the way trees of the same species tend to cluster together.

The trees flourish together in a particular area because each species has its own optimum amount of sunlight, water, and other environmental conditions. In a way, they “search” for those conditions, thriving when these are found. Seeds that unfortunately get dispersed to a less optimum environment might germinate and develop into seedlings, but are less likely to survive.

Growing environmental awareness means a better appreciation of studies concerning plant interactions with their environment. The findings of the scientists are slowly finding applications. Sometime last year, I ran into some environmentalist-friends in a restaurant. They were meeting with officials of an upper-class subdivision, who were interested in learning about native trees for their residential area.

Learning and planning

There are books now on native trees. In 2012, Green Convergence for Safe Food, Healthy Environment and Sustainable Economy published “Philippine Native Trees 101,” featuring that number of species. That same year, Aboitiz Foundation came out with “Shades of Majesty: 88 Philippine

Native Trees.”

According to “Philippine Native Trees 101,” we have some 3,600 native trees, two-thirds of them endemic. To name some of the native trees, we have agoho, tindalo, almaciga, lumbang, batino, dita, bignai, antipolo, marang, yakal, and, of course, our national tree, narra. “Plant-smart” readers will recognize many of the plants as having many uses, from edible fruits to resins to lumber.

In UP Diliman, Washington SyCip and friends put up a garden of native trees, and commissioned a manual to describe the plants. All these books have lavish photographs to show the trees in their natural conditions.

Learn more about native trees, and plan your own backyard, or community. Recently a friend texted me about his plans to plant mahogany in a newly acquired property. My friend’s text came in just as I was meeting with Emil Sotalbo, the retired former head of our Campus Maintenance Office who continues to advise Diliman on landscaping and plants. He shook his head and said: “Introduced,” pausing almost ominously, “and invasive.”

It makes sense going native, not just for sentimental or even nationalistic reasons, but also for very practical considerations of reducing the risks of losing life, and property.

E-mail: mtan*inquirer.com.ph

4. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Mangkono Tree = The hardest tree in the philippines (Iron wood) Sa san beda para alam ko meron nito or kalantas tree ata yun.

6 Facts About Surigao del Sur's Magkono, The Iron Wood Tree In The Philippines

in Surigao del Sur, you will find the hardest tree in the Philippines.

The Magkono (Xanthostemon verdugonianus) is an endemic tree that is found only in select localities in the Philippines such as Surigao del Sur, Agusan del Sur, Palawan, Samar, and Dinagat Island. It’s a rare and endangered species due to deforestation and overcutting.

The magkono tree is considered one of the most valuable trees in the world not just because of its rarity. Find out how valuable the magkono is here:

1. Tall and Skinny

The magkono is a small to medium-sized tree—about 20-36 inches in diameter and can reach up to 30-40 feet. Its bark is hard, thin, and smooth. But don’t be fooled by how skinny it looks compared to other hardwood trees; the magkono is extremely durable. Even under the most severe weather conditions, they remain standing tall.

2. Strength and Tenacity

Due to its density and hardness, it takes some time to cut down the magkono tree even with the use of modern methods. It takes four days to cut down it with the use of diamond-tipped saws and plenty of water for lubrication. A twenty-foot magkono tree would need lots of water and plenty of time to cut it down. The dark-colored wood is extremely durable that even termites can’t penetrate it.

3. Wooden Heirlooms

Furniture made of magkono trees are extremely valuable and are considered as heirloom pieces. Such furniture and other novelty items are well-known among the towns of Surigao del Sur since they last for generations. And not just for generations but even for centuries. There’s a display of items made of magkono wood in the National Museum in Butuan that is a testament to the wood’s long-lasting abilities.

4. Scarcity

The magkono is considered an endangered tree species due to loss of habitat. As such, local furniture makers can’t meet the demand for magkono-made furniture. The scarcity has only been worsened by the entry of large scale mining and logging in Surigao. It has become increasingly rare to see a mature magkono tree in the wild.

5. Founded in Magkono

Even back then, the magkono was already highly valued by our ancestors. They used it as the foundation for houses and poles used in the balangay (boat). They also used it as caskets for the departed. Before the existence of plastics, the magkono was used as propeller shafts for steamships, tool handles and bowling balls. The iron wood was already prized for its durability and strength.

6. Tree of Life

The magkono gains this title for being the source of livelihood for several communities in Surigao del Sur. They use it for their woodcraft, although the people use abandoned slabs of magkono instead. Wood artists fashion magkono wood into commercial products such as chopping boards, centerpieces, paperweights, and other elaborate pieces.

The magkono tree is not just one of the valuable hardwood trees that we have today; it’s also an important part of the cultural landscape in Surigao del Sur. The iron wood is the representation of the resiliency and strength of the Surigao people.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kagalingan View Post
    Mangkono Tree = The hardest tree in the philippines (Iron wood) Sa san beda para alam ko meron nito or kalantas tree ata yun.

6 Facts About Surigao del Sur's Magkono, The Iron Wood Tree In The Philippines
    Nice tree.. Eto rin yata yung tinatawag nila sa norte na "Sagat". Matibay at matatag talaga to. Pero it takes time para lumaki at mapakinabangan. Were hoping na maginitiate man lang ang government natin like for every schools to plant a tree program every year. Naala ko pa nung ROTC namin, may tree planting activities din kami nun.. Kaso after itanim napabayaan din. Di tuloy malaman kung tumubo or namatay yung mga tinanim namin. Lets hope for the best..

Sent from my F3212 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

6. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Ngayon umiinit na panahon lumalabas ganda ng mga puno.

Ganda talaga ng talisay tree. Yung isa inalagaan ko bandang sidewalk eh pinag-aagawan na ngayon kasi apat na sasakyan kasya magpark dahil lilim eh. Considering na iput lang ng paniki yun. Dinilig-dilgan ko lang dati buong summer.

Pero ngayon summer eh kailangan religiously magdilig lalo na pag maliit pa kasi pag nalimutan tigok.

May nabasa ako para gumanda lupa ko eh taniman ko combination ng nitrogen-fixing legume, papaya/pineapple(potassium). Pero ang gusto ko gamitin na legume eh native/endemic din. Research research na naman. Trial and error. Tanong tanong.

Naiinis pa din ako napolitica manila seedling bank. Sobrang aliwalas ng lugar na yun. Ngayon gagawin condo/business district na. Concrete jungle at high rise na naman.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Ok pala itong kupang ah. "Can fix its own nitrogen requirement. "

Philippine Native Forest Trees: Q&A: What native Philippine tree to plant when starting up a RAINFORESTATION PROJECT? .... KUPANG (Parkia Timoriana) is what I would suggest.

Q&A: What native Philippine tree to plant when starting up a RAINFORESTATION PROJECT? ....

In my opinion, I would suggest "KUPANG" with scientific name Parkia Timoriana (also known as P. Javanica) as ONE OF THE BEST PHILIPPINE NATIVE SPECIES TO PLANT WHEN STARTING A RAINFORESTATION PROJECT. This is due to the following reasons:

Leguminous tree. It is able to fix its own nitrogen requirements with the help from a soil bacteria called rhizobium that live within the roots of leguminous plants and trees, thus it can grow with even the poorest type of soil. The roots together with its fallen leaves will provide nitrogen that will be beneficial for other trees within its proximity, bringing back soil fertility that was lost from continued harvesting of crops.

Sun loving and shade tolerant. It is able to grow under full sunlight and is also able to adjust under shaded areas, therefore this tree will still thrive under opposite conditions.

Easy Access. Seedlings are readily available at the Manila Seedling Bank. Since the tree is able to produce numerous seeds within seedpods, there will always be a steady supply of seedlings to grow. A fairly common tree especially in Metro Manila, Laguna and other parts of the country.

High germination rate and good viability of seeds upon long storage. Some seeds that I have stored for two years now are still germinating upto today when sowed.

Unreceptive to pests and diseases and will easily outgrow grass and vines. I think that this is a common characteristic that leguminous tree species share and possess. They are very hardy especially when established in full sun.

Branches are flexible and strong enough from wind breakage. Branches and trunk seem to sway whenever there are strong winds. It can hold its stance and never have I seen it topple down or break its limb. However, I must admit that I haven't seen a mature Kupang tree under the mercy of a strong typhoon. (will follow-up on this issue upon confirmation)

Medicinal. I have read that the bark and leaves of this tree is made into a poultice and applied to skin infections and sores. The bark is also used to treat diarrhea and dysentery. Seeds are said to treat persistent abdominal pain.

Edible. According to some literature, the pods and seeds are edible. Although I haven't tried it, I will certainly welcome the idea of tasting this delicacy. Roasted seeds are used in Africa similar to coffee called Soudan coffee.

Source of lumber. The lumber from this tree is often used for light construction.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kupang is not a softwood but a hardwood. Softwood refers to the conifers and hardwoods to the broad leaves and therefore the terms (softwood and hardwood) refers to the botanical groupings. The terms "soft wood" and hard wood" refers to the mechanical properties of wood.

Dennis P. from Leyte

Rico said...

Hi Dennis! Thanks for reading my blog. Thank you also for correcting me that Kupang is not a softwood, but is considered a hardwood species. I have made the necessary changes above.

Thank you again and happy reading.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Yan na lang itanim mo paps. Yung nga pag hardwood is medyo matatagalan lumaki.. Pano ba itsura nito pag lumaki..

Sent from my F3212 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

9. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    ^

Hangggang picture lang nakita ko.

Tuwa ako ngayon pag gising ko ulan pala dire-direcho. Kaya pala ganda sayaw ng malunggay ko.

Yung dalawa ko tinanim talisay sa secondary road ginawa pala lilim ng sidewalk vendor. In just 2 years grabe na dahon umbrella na umbrella .

Tama ito ilan weeks na puro init tapos ulan ngayon.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I don't know what this tree is called but now I know why no car parks under that tree. It has pink flowers that sticks like bird sh1t to the car's paint. Now I know better to park under the sun instead

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Each storm is an opportunity (Plant a native/endemic philippine tree)