New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/gall...estgeneration/

8 reasons why this is the dumbest generation

Author Mark Bauerlein aims to provoke in his new book, "The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future" (Tarcher/Penguin). Do you agree? Take a look at eight reasons the Emory University English professor gives to ''not trust anyone under 30'' -- see which you think is the best. Disagree, or have your own spin?

1. They make excellent "Jaywalking'' targets
    Bauerlein writes: "The ignorance is hard to believe ... It isn't enough to say that these young people are uninterested in world realities. They are actively cut off from them. ... They are encased in more immediate realities that shut out conditions beyond -- friends, work, clothes, cars, pop music, sitcoms, Facebook.''

2. They don't read books -- and don't want to, either
    "It's a new attitude, this brazen disregard of books and reading. Earlier generations resented homework assignments, of course, and only a small segment of each dove into the intellectual currents of the time, but no generation trumpeted aliteracy ... as a valid behavior of their peers.''

3. They can't spell
    Lack of capitalization and IM codes dominate online writing. Without spellcheck, folks are toast.

4. They get ridiculed for original thought, good writing
    "On MySpace, if you write clearly and compose coherent paragraphs with informed observations on history and current events, 'buddies' will make fun of you,'' Bauerlein says. Wikipedia writing is clean and factual, but colorless and judgment-free. Often the most clever students, with flashes of disorganized brilliance on MySpace, switch to dull Wiki-writing formats for school papers, he says. "If we could combine the style and imagination of MySpace with the content of Wikipedia, we might get good stuff."

5. Grand Theft Auto IV, etc.
    The stats tell the story here. First week's sales: $500 million. The sales of GTA dwarf movie premieres, CD sales, or, Bauerlein notes, book sales. All that video use, Bauerlein says, has hurt in the classroom, too. Thousands of Massachusetts public school graduates are ending up in remedial reading and writing classes in college, according to a Globe story. http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...ed_in_college/

6. They don't store the information
    "For digital immigrants, people who are 40 years old who spent their college time in the library acquiring information, the Internet is really a miraculous source of knowledge,'' Bauerlein says. "Digital natives, however, go to the Internet not to store knowledge in their minds, but to retrieve material and pass it along. The Internet is just a delivery system.''

7. Because their teachers don't tell them so
    Or because their parents don't check their bedrooms at midnight to halt the instant messaging..."Kids are drowning in teen stuff delivered 24/7 by the tools, and adult realities can't penetrate," Bauerlein says. Another factor: "It's the era of child-centered classrooms and self-esteem grading.''

8. Because they're young
    Do you remember how stupid you were when you were a teen-ager? Or all that you didn't know -- and thought you did? And the skills you gained by holding back on foolish comments? Oh, the now-old guy in this picture (Bob Dylan)? He once wrote: "I was so much older then/I'm younger than that now.''
    In the Philippines, I think the dumbest generation has to be the 60's youth who dressed in funny looking clothes, wore long hair, and embraced alternate lifestyles. They believed in a different ideology and rebelled against the "Establishment" even though it was the "Establishment" that brought relative prosperity to our country. Their music was great though.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Such an ambiguous topic as it there really is no absolute measure, but for argument's sake, i'll take a shot a this one.
    I would like to agree with what Mark Bauerline theorizes as I think today's youth really are at a loss and are no longer concerned with the issues that our country is currently facing. Consider the following social milieu and how the youth were shaped or who their products are:
    50's-National Reconstruction: Diokno,Recto, Tanada were the leaders of this time...All are still revered to this date.
    60's-Anti-Vietnam War Protest, Founding of CPP-NPA, Partido Sosyalista(?) MILF, Ninoy,Marcos to name a few were the prominent young leaders then, students of this era were Joma Sison,Misuari,Gloria,Mike Arroyo,Drilon,Miriam etc.... they are our leaders now. Hehehe, on second thought, I guess I will have to agree with the Donbuggy,see where they led us...hehehe.
    70's-First Quarter Storm,Anti-Marcos Dictatorship: Edjop,Intengan,Randy David,Winnie Monsod,Evelio Javier,Noli De Castro, Manny Villar
    80's-EDSA to 90's-ecomomic recovery from the Marcos Dictatorship: people of the 60's and 70's ruled, emerging leaders of this time may include Mar Roxas,Gilbert Teodoro,Chiz Escudero, Kiko Pangilinan,Mike Defensor, Migz Zubiri, Allan Cayetano
    00's-NBN,ZTE,Hello Garci,etc.

The measure of how dumb a generation is, i would wish to hypothesize is how the youth in a particular generation responds to the challenges of their times, right now, it is quite discouraging to observe that today's youth seem to have turned apathetic, not that socially conscious, not that vocal about their world views. It is not yet too late I guess, they may just be lurking around, but i am hopeful that our future will be in the hands of critical thinkers and action oriented young... i am an optimist...

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by donbuggy View Post
    http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/gall...estgeneration/

In the Philippines, I think the dumbest generation has to be the 60's youth who dressed in funny looking clothes, wore long hair, and embraced alternate lifestyles. They believed in a different ideology and rebelled against the "Establishment" even though it was the "Establishment" that brought relative prosperity to our country. Their music was great though.
    If that's your idea of a dumb generation you must be from the current generation. If the clothing looked funny to you then you'll be in for a surprise when your kids see what you wore during your days because they'll find it funny and weird. Look at the clothes worn in the 70's, 80's and 90's and you'll find they they also look funny now. Long hair is still around the last time I looked around and that so called alternative lifestyle pushed the limits to what is now cosidered acceptable. They may have rebelled against the establishment but they made people think outside the box and didn't just accept things for what they are. The very people who made People Power possible came from the generation you call dumb. No, I am not of that generation but I understand that the actions of that generation had more influence in how the world changed than any generation after it. Internationally that generation brought about the internet and space flight just to name a few.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The 60's kids, I'd say, were smarter than the 50's kids... these were the boomers... the ones who are now the movers and shakers of our world. Young idealists who wanted to change it... bursting with energy and ideas and innovation.

The 70's kids, these were the rebels, the radicals, the anarchists... they wanted change, but change in the marxist manner, through bloody upheaval.

The 80's kids, this was the start of the introspective generation. The cold-war generation where the future looked bleak and doom was but a tick of the clock away. This was when we began escaping into the nets, into our minds...

Generation X was self-absorbed. Emo before it became emo (it was called grunge). It was the laid-back generation, free to concentrate on its own issues for the first time, as the Cold War came crashing down...

The late 90's kids (my bet for the dumbest... ) were the i-generation... I-me-mine... Generation X was merely introspective, but Generation Y was (and is) positively self-worshipping... but at least they're full of energy... yearning to explore the world and their place in it... it's just the whole self-importance thing that turns me off (something continued by the bloggers and MySpacers).

The current crop... I don't know. They're finding a new social order... exploring new frontiers of community and civilization building. We're not a part of that, sadly... just can't keep up... but this may be the future... living online is vastly more eco-friendly than driving out to the clubs... :hysterical:

-

As for literacy... what decade does the author live in? Kids have been advocating illiteracy since the 70's! :hysterical:
    Last edited by niky; May 4th, 2009 at 12:57 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Dumbest should be the present generation. Like believing in OBAMA thinking he's like a guy sent from heaven. Listening to non-sense arguments by politicians, now they're mad tomorrow naman as if nothing happened. Think of the ERAP case.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    They may have rebelled against the establishment but they made people think outside the box and didn't just accept things for what they are. The very people who made People Power possible came from the generation you call dumb.
    Hmmm. Good point!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    masasabi ko lang sa current youth, i really don't get their fashion sense. scarves paired with short shorts(giniginaw ba o naiinitan), wearing sweaters when it's 28-30 degrees outside, color combinations that lead me to suspect a color blindness epidemic.

then again, all this could have started from my generation B)

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    From Why I hate the Sixties documentary:

"Fashion, pleasure and image were the holy trinity of the young."

9. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by donbuggy View Post
    From Why I hate the Sixties documentary:

"Fashion, pleasure and image were the holy trinity of the young."
    But Fashion, Pleasure, and Image are still the holy trinity of today's young... and even the not-so-young. Fashion doesn't have to be all about clothes. Today, it could also be gadgets. Pleasure... everyone wants instant gratification. Image... virtually everyone is much more vain now... what with overly-manipulated (I refuse to say Photoshopped, lol) images strewn about in cyberspace and vacuous and inane tweets and status messages being bandied about.

Every generation has its retinue of fence-sitters, its turtles, its Don Quixotes, its soapbox-standing impresarios, its philosophers, its sheeps, and its trailblazers. And, as times change, what gets considered coherent also changes, what passes for relevant transforms. For me, what's to be considered dumb isn't about not conforming to what is considered intelligent; what should be considered dumb is the inability to adapt to the rapid developments in our midst, and the inability to accept the changes that engulf us.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The late 90's kids (my bet for the dumbest... ) were the i-generation... I-me-mine... Generation X was merely introspective, but Generation Y was (and is) positively self-worshipping... but at least they're full of energy... yearning to explore the world and their place in it... it's just the whole self-importance thing that turns me off (something continued by the bloggers and MySpacers).
    +1 on that.

Karamihan ng mga problem employees namin dito sa office came from that generation.
    ME ME ME!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
The dumbest generation?