New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ab_initio View Post
    ^^ why prosecute an individual downloading for personal use? prosecute the one behind the invention of the software that allows me access to it...that's contributory piracy...no need to amend the law...just intensify the enforcement and hone some more those in the fact finding and investigation of piracy offenses... how can we enhance the present invention when it is strictly regulated? that's precisely the spirit of personal use...so that among the many end users baka may bagong invention out of the new one which has patent or copyright...
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Following the same logic, we should then prosecute the inventor of the gun. Or the hammer. Or the ball point pen. They can all be used to kill someone.
    just a point of clarification, Sir. where's the connection with your example to mine when i was talking about offenses affecting the intellectual rights of an inventor and to my mind po, your examples pointed to an entirely different crime...crime against person, the speculation that those objects, which according to you, are inventions, which can be used to kill someone...

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    That's why it's called an analogy.

How is the creator/inventor of a tool liable for any wrongdoing done using his/her invention which was contrary to its intended purpose? Why should he/she be responsible for what other people do?

sabi ni miriam (merriam webster) ito daw ang ibig sabihin ng analogy:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/analogy

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    If ISPs are held liable for the data pass through them, then mobile telcos should also be held liable for any data that pass through them, including x-rated materials, SMS messages containing libelous remarks, death threats, etc. By the same principle, the Post Office should be held liable for any illegal stuff delivered by them. All entities mentioned are mere conduits that can deliver both legal and illegal stuff.
    Maybe it's a matter of copyrighted material. One thing that differs an ISP from the Post Office is that the servers can monitor an abnormally large download, see what the file is, and see where the source is. If it's a legit source, let it through. If it's a ******* site, then they may block it. I'm sure the servers can be rigged to sound an alarm.

But, the noose is getting tighter. I think I had an email about my ISP's future plans. Of course, I deleted it without even opening it.

All these wouldn't be happening if everyone had an "honor" system.

If you can't afford it, don't use it, don't play it, don't watch it, don't listen to it. I've got tons and tons of internet bandwidth. I could easily pirate games. But, I choose not to. I learned my lesson with the Commodore Amiga. That platform had so many pirates/bootleggers, they drove most developers away. That lack of apps pretty much killed my favorite platform.

After that, I just buy everything that's not legally freeware. If a game cost too much, I wait until it's in the bargain bin or not play it at all.

Even with my YouTube uploads..... If I get a note saying there's copyrighted material and the owner's raising a fit, I delete it. Simple.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    just a point of clarification, Sir. where's the connection with your example to mine when i was talking about offenses affecting the intellectual rights of an inventor and to my mind po, your examples pointed to an entirely different crime...crime against person, the speculation that those objects, which according to you, are inventions, which can be used to kill someone...
    This is what you posted: "why prosecute an individual downloading for personal use? prosecute the one behind the invention of the software that allows me access to it".

So what you're saying is, we should prosecute the ones who invented P2P, Bit*******, etc. The ones who invented the tools. We should not prosecute the downloaders. The ones who use the tools.

That's how I interpret what you said. I may have misunderstood, but I don't see how else it could be interpreted.

If we'll be prosecuting the inventor of the tools and not the user of the tools, then that's where my analogies came from.

sabi ni miriam (merriam webster) ito daw ang ibig sabihin ng analogy:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/analogy
    Quoting your source, "resemblance in some particulars between things otherwise unlike".

Downloading and killing people are totally unlike.

But...

User: Downloader <=> killer
    Tool: P2P software <=> gun
    Inventor: P2P inventor <=> gun inventor

Ok? ;)

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    OT:
    50% of charges against Piratebay dropped:
    http://*******freak.com/50-of-charge...ropped-090217/

Bittorent metafiles/trackers themselves do not contain copyrighted material. mukhang abswelto ang Piratebay. Malabo din yung “assisting copyright infringement” unless it is proven that they are actively putting out releases.
    Last edited by Negus; February 18th, 2009 at 11:46 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    lucky me i dont use p2p softwares

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    If you can't afford it, don't use it, don't play it, don't watch it, don't listen to it.
    It's just so nice to be living in the land of plenty where everyone can afford to have choices of either buying DVDs and still have money for food, rent, electricity, etc.

Its different here where the price of buying a few original DVDs can equal two weeks salary.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    So when will the celphone companies be criminally liable for a death threat or nude picture of a celebrity or a MP3 song sent through SMS/TXT/MMS?

----

As for monitoring abnormally large downloads, many of the ******* sites already chop up large video file into many small archive files. No to mention, it's possible to proxy connect to supposedly "banned" sites. Its the nature of the internet to connect.

And if an ISP service starts to censor my connection, isn't that violating my right to privacy and freedom of expression? I would just terminate my ISP contract and sign up with the next ISP that will guarantee no censors on my connection.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    i remember someone said about internet piracy is similar to photocopying a book.... the entire book.... instead of buying the book itself

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    they will never shut down the real napster

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    quite impossible. they better check on the big companies first before going into the individual users na mas mahirap i trace o i-track.

mas malaki ang losses ng mga software companies kung big companies ang nandadaya sa software nila.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast