New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I made an order online from HK online store worth 100USD with DHL shipping of 30USD, I told the HK online store to put it as sample items only...

My shock came when the courier arrive with a customs bill of almost 1800.00PHP, and unless i pay it, they will not give to me my package which i paid already by mycredit card...

any experience you have out there on out to minimize my payments to DHL agents/customs OR do i have no choice but to pay the amount of 1800 in protest....Thanks..

WBR,

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    AFAIK, ganyan talaga. You will have to pay for it.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That can happen whether it's shipped via DHL, FedEx, etc.

Tsambahan din yan... minsan walang custom duties, minsan meron. That's why most foreign online stores have a disclaimer regarding local custom duties.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    kung commerciable quantities yan, talagang malaki ang customs duties

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    natsambahan ka lang siguro, nakarami na akong online purchase from taiwan, US and UK pero walang customs tax, ang iba pa nga naka small box.

may binabayaran lang akong small postal fee bago iclaim ok na, but mabagal talaga ang post office natin hehe

6. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    baka malaki yung box nilagyan... ganoon talaga yun. Pag maliit lang na box at magaan pa wala ka babayaran... door to door delivery pa. Happened to me before na nag order ko ng mga EEPROM chips from US. Listed as sample pero maliit lang ang box at magaan... ayun, arrived at our house in just 2 weeks.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    First of all, that's the LEGAL TAX DUE on your item, so nobody's "cahooting" with anyone. DHL/FedEx/UPS are just following LEGAL LAWS to tax import items accordingly.

If you read most international sellers, it's clearly stated that customs/import taxes are not included in the payment and it's the buyer's responsibility to pay proper import taxes.

For example, Amazon explicitly says:

Your packages may be subject to the customs fees and import duties of the country to which you have your order shipped. These charges are always the recipient's responsibility. For further details, read about Restrictions (which apply to all international shipments) and Import Fees Deposits (which apply to Priority International Shipping only.)
    My question is was there an invoice included inside the box? If so, tax is based on declared value. Even if you say it's "sample" if there's a value indicated, it'll be taxed.

A sample or defective item, for example should have explicitly stated zero value to be untaxed. Most sellers won't honor a zero value invoice unless it's a bit "small-time" and isn't familiar with international shipping laws.

If you're make a protest, you'll be protesting your preference to commit corruption... hehe

http://www.aseansec.org/14298.htm

Lastly, air mail is screened very diligently compared to seaport items.

This does not belong to the Goon Squad forum, I'm moving it to Pitstop.
    Last edited by theveed; January 4th, 2008 at 09:18 PM.

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    Sir theveed is right. I think you choose 2 days shipping or express shipping. All package received via overnight or 2 days shipping from DHL, Fedex or other courier for that matter will have customs duties if it exceeds $50 including shipping or the total amount. If you shoose standard shipping it will arrive after a month or sometimes it will never arrive at all. Well that depends on where you shop online.

I always buys stuff on-line like Amazon US, Japan, UK, Canada, France, Germany . cd-wow, and other reputable on-line shops and I only choose standard shipping and it arrived in our local post office. 35 petot lang charge if below 50 dollars.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    When I ordered some bike parts from the US and shipped via FedEx, I was also called by them to inform me of the tax due. Medyo malaki nga yung box kaya siguro na tax. Yung mga binibili kong mga books and DVDs never naman na tax.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    normal nga yan. merun kasing classification ang mga items (HS code rulling). if your item happen to use an HS code that falls on a certain tax rules... automatic that they would charge a percentage of the invoice amount.

if the invoice amount is very small or zero, merun din silang minimum tax due equivalent.

IMO, just pay the duties...mas masayang ang $130 mo if you don't get the item you bought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
DHL people in cahoots with customs people??