New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Here's the scenario:
    Let's say you were shopping around on a store and looking for some products (of course you're kinda checking its price, specs, etc.) and then when you were about to put back the item, you suddenly or let's say accidentally slipped the item causing another item to be moved and unfortunately fall off the shelf causing it to break.
    Then of course we already know the rule of "if you break it, you'll going to pay for it!" But how detailed is the rule that you are going to pay the whole price for that broken item. Parang kawawa on the side of the consumer that they have to pay for an accident that they don't mean doing it, especially if the item has no use at all or in this case has no more value.

Kindly help my friend because the store is demanding to pay for an item that she didn't even need in the first place and also it is already broken. They don't even have the sign posted that "if you break it, pay for it!"

Well for the side of the store management, this could be a good option of selling your products easily. Place it on the tip of the shelf and let someone accidentally drop it so you may harass the customer end up paying.
    Last edited by Taurus; June 2nd, 2008 at 05:56 PM.

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    So many store's, too many rule's.

Most grocery store's and shopping store's have insurance to cover that sort of things, so if you pay for it, they're technically getting paid twice. If I fell bad about it, (you know... konsensyia) I might offer to pay them for it but, I would only pay what they paid for it, I wouldnt pay the market price to give them profit on it.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    actually even its not written its more of a law of etiquette that if you are not going to purchase a delicate display item but you broke it, it is your obligation to pay for it even if you dont need it.

on the side of management they must arrange the goods in such a way that it is safe and somehow free from any obstacles that the patron may encounter when putting back the product up the shelves.

so for the mom and dad's out there, keep your kids out of breakable good in the mall or grocery, or else you might pay an amount out of your budget.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    what if you are injured because the products (ie. canned goods) fell on top of you? is the store liable to pay for the injuries?

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    if an object fell on top of you while walking the aisle especially at supermarkets then, the company may be held liable, but don try to commit a nasty plan, because there are cameras the views all the aisle for theft=)

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Wala naman me gusto nung nangyari. My take is, for your friend to offer to pay for what she broke and just ask for a reduction in the price. Expensive? Maybe, but it beats the hell out of demand letters and all sorts of accusations flying between the parties. Just treat it as tuition for a very hard lesson in life.

The insurance coverage that most stores carry are only for public liability and do not cover breakages. Also, stores don't need to carry signs to the effect that "If you break it, you pay for it" since the law on torts and damages will still require the person responsible to pay for the damage or injury suffered by the store.

Consumer Rights Question