New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    peeps, asking on behalf of a family friend...

what are the options for a people with serious medical conditions, in terms of higher education?

ung family friend kasi namin has a son that suffers seizures. i'd rather not go into details out of respect for their privacy, but the gist of it is that he'll need constant attention. bigla bigla kasing sinusumpong ng sakit, with no warning. she's afraid of enrolling her into the "normal" colleges because of that...but at the same time, she also wants her son to live life to the fullest.

ano kayang magandang options? right now she's more or less resigned to enrolling her at the same college his sister goes to; i guess medyo mag aadjust na lang ng sked para kahit papano e may kasama ung son.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Benilde... most of their facilities can be accessed via a wheelchair (if it is needed) plus during my time there we had our share of people with special needs - it's actually not a big thing there (unlike elsewhere where people will stare at you if you are "different").

3. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    just curious, may constant follow up ba sila sa neurologist? controllable naman ang seizure disorders with the right medication. kelangan lang talagang tiyagain sa follow-up. i honestly think that should be the first step.

but to answer your question, how about UP? i went to up diliman and to be honest, hindi papansinin ang condition ng kaibigan mo doon. (to be completely frank, baka mas magulat ka sa mga pinag-gagagawa ng mga taong walang medical condition doon.) live and let live ang mantra ng mga tao doon. UP diliman is a great place to study in, ang sarap pa ng hangin.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    if he is a fighter, mas ok na din siguro na ma mix up sya sa normal crowd. yes people will look down on him but usually that's the best catalyst for personal inner change. he is the only who can cure himself talaga in these cases

placing him in a special school, will only delay the inevitable.

but do make sure na he is a "fighter"

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    BENILDE! Dami na nga frosh ngayon cos we're having our summer classes. Pag may nakakasabay kaming parents + their kids parining kmi ng pabiro like "dito kami natuto magdrugs" hahaha. Pero seriously, ya ok tlga CSB. The best.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    smooth is right, UP students don't look down on people with disabilities. I've seen some studying in there during my college days. Some are paralyzed from the waist down, iba naka-wheelchair, yung iba may palsy, iba iba. We just treat them like they should be treated - normal people.

in fact, di sila nakakaawa, kung hindi, nakakabilib sila. They can do what we able-bodied people can do and often, mas masigasig sila mag-aral - with higher grades too. :-)

7. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    while risking na maging OT itong reply ko...

tapos kapag nagaaral na siya sa UP diliman, wag niyang kakaligtaang kumain ng barbecue sa main library. woohoo!!! sarap!!!

8. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    You might also want to consider UST. Nung panahon namin there were several students na merong disabilities, ginagalang din naman sila ng mga fellow students. And I particularly remember this student na minsan sinusumpong din ng seizures, he felt comfortable studying in UST kasi supportive naman mga classmates niya and plus lalakarin mo lang yung UST hospital just in case kailangan talaga siyang isugod (actually one time sinugod talaga sya ng mga kaklase nya)... sa awa ng Diyos nakasabay ko syang grumadweyt.

I also remember nung 90's Trinity College was awarded by the government for being the friendliest school for the disabled. Malapit din sa ospital yun, I think De los Santos Hospital. Pwede nyo ring subukan dun.

Ano bang course gusto nya? Maybe that would further trim down her choices.

My 2 cents...

college reccomendations