New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    The last time i went to this place has been decades ago. Pangit nga, at maalikabok yung lugar. Pero marami pa ring tao.

Why not just transfer this to a much bigger place? O di kaya, dagdagan ang budget at pagandahin yun lugar, kung di pwedeng ilipat.

Internet outrage at Philippine zoo

MANILA–A college student’s blog about apparently mistreated animals at the Manila Zoo has provoked an instant Internet furore, forcing the Philippine President to step in and call for action.
    After 20-year-old Nix de Pano’s blog entry on Tuesday showing photos of starving animals was reposted on other sites, “Manila Zoo” suddenly became a global trending topic on the microblogging site Twitter.
    Philippine models with huge Internet followings, one of the country’s best filmmakers and a celebrity Manila tour guide were among those to voice their outrage on Twitter, prompting action from the highest level of government.
    “We share the concern expressed by concerned citizens over the condition in which animals are kept in the Manila Zoo,” President Benigno Aquino’s spokesman, Edwin Lacierda, told reporters.
    He said government agencies had been ordered to look into the welfare of the animals at the 52-year-old zoo, which bills itself as Asia’s oldest.
    Although animal welfare groups have been campaigning for years to close or improve conditions at the zoo, the issue only went viral on the Internet this week following the blog from de Pano, a multi-media arts student in Manila.
    Her blog entry, which used old photos taken from other sources on the Internet, showed animals with untreated wounds and their ribs poking through their skin.
    In an e-mail to AFP, de Pano said she was “overwhelmed” by the attention her blog had generated.
    “In just a matter of two days so much has happened. Social media is powerful. There is true power in spreading the word,” she said.
    The Asian campaign manager for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, Rochelle Regodon, said the Internet was proving an important ally in their efforts to close the zoo.
    “We are thankful and encouraged by the overflowing support of people who have tweeted and re-tweeted about the horrible conditions at the Manila Zoo,” she said.
    But Manila Zoo’s director, Deng Manimbo, said the blog’s photos were at least three years old and that the animals were now well fed and cared for.
    “The animals are in good condition,” he told AFP, but added that he was happy the extra attention may lead to more people wanting to help the zoo.
    De Pano said she had never been to the zoo before posting her blog and that conditions were better than expected when she did go on Thursday.
    “There were some animals that were depressing to look at, and there are still trash problems, but the condition of the zoo has definitely improved,” she said

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Also....why not close down the crocodile farm, that is Congress.
    Yan ang walang silbi.

Note:
    si miss blogger pala, ginamit mga old pictures. di naman pala madalas pumunta sa zoo, bago mag-blog. tapos sabay kambyo sa end ng blog nya...nye-he-heh!

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chua_riwap View Post
    Note: si miss blogger pala, ginamit mga old pictures. di naman pala madalas pumunta sa zoo, bago mag-blog. tapos sabay kambyo sa end ng blog nya...nye-he-heh!
    Blogs could really create misinformation if the blogger is irresponsible and the readers are gullible. How many times has she been to the zoo if at all?

I'm not saying that Manila Zoo is one of the finest, that's quite a stretch. But I am still thankful that at least we have a zoo. Going to Manila Zoo has become a right of passage for grade school children from my generation and older. I don't agree with closing down Manila Zoo. There's always room for improvement and it's just unfair to criticize Manila Zoo after all these people are working on a limited budget.

As for PETA people, the Manila Zoo custodians must love animals more than they do. PETA people talk the talk while the people they are criticising walk the walk. Kung gusto nila uwi nila mga lion, tiger at elepante at sila mag alaga.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    rehab sana ang manila zoo. gawin sana nilang mala singapore zoo ang style.
    as for mayor lim, gusto pa mag dagdag ng hayop like elephants. ang liit ng enclosure ng elepante na nasa zoo para sa isa. hindi na sya puwedeng dagdagan unless yung buong zoo ibibigay sa elepante lang. asiatic pachyderms are grazers, they need vast lands.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Kasi naman, yung budget na pang Manila Zoo --- sa ibang "animals" ng Manila napupunta e.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    havent been to manila zoo in ages. meron bang lately nakapunta dito? still ok to visit ba?

i got to visit the Philippines's version of the Safari in Calauit Palawan. there is something majestic seeing animals roam in there own natural habitat. it was better seeing a common giraffe grazing out in the open then some wild animal on a cage. I remember waking up to the sound of hoof beats and zebra snorts on our enclosure...yes kami yung nakaenclose and the animals roam free hehe.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    I haven't been to the Manila Zoo for almost two decades... But I have been to various government offices lately and could say that these are better because the animals are as wild and undomesticated as they can be... not to mention they're not endangered, so a call for an open hunting season on these is in order.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    we have been to manila zoo several times the past few years, my kids love going there and to other places like zoobic safari. we never saw what she posted, no such thing as emaciated animals there during our visits. their cages may be inadequately too small but to say that animals were being deliberately maltreated is a completely different thing.

the blogger used old pictures. she even posted pictures of sick animals that were brought to the zoo for treatment. that is no different from LYING. and as liars go she got found out in the end. and problema kasi sa ganyang edad e akala nila they can still be irresponsible like when they were still teenagers. she's already an adult, she should learn to act like one. responsible na dapat siya, she should have seen for herself firsthand before she started posting in her blog. sinungaling!

the best way to help those animals is to support the zoo. closing the zoo will not free those animals as they would not know how to fend for themselves in the wild anymore. improving the conditions in the zoo is the best way to "save" the animals. and one way you and i can do that is by going there! P70 lang ang entrance for adults last time we were there. why not bring your whole family and help save the zoo. the more people go the more funds they will have for improvements.

Close Manila Zoo!