New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    source here

I'm not a member of the CFC nor a Catholic but this is just disheartening. :sad:

Split in Couples for Christ May Hurt GK Housing Projects
    By Carmela Fonbuena and Lala Rimando
    Thursday, 23 August 2007

The split in the Couples for Christ (CFC) has far-reaching consequences on the Gawad Kalinga Foundation (GK), its popular social arm that has become a favorite beneficiary of big corporations and wealthy individuals here and abroad.

Gawad Kalinga has grown tremendously since Antonio Meloto founded it in 2000 as the CFC’s social arm. It now has a portfolio of 1,200 communities all over the country, which translates to about 22,000 homes for impoverished families nationwide, including Muslim-dominated provinces in Mindanao.

It has gained worldwide fame, likened to the Grameen Bank of Bangladesh, an initiative that earned Muhammad Yunus his Nobel Peace Prize in 2006. Meloto himself earned his Ramon Magsaysay Award for leadership in 2006.

But on July 30, CFC founder Frank Padilla and a few hundred supporters announced that they were leaving the group in protest over how GK was being managed. They complained that GK has shifted its focus “from the spiritual to the social.”

Padilla cited instances when GK chose not to push for natural family planning because some of its corporate partners favored population control and the use of contraceptives. “We clearly are going separate ways,” Padilla said in an open letter to members of the Catholic group. “We will focus on evangelization.”

Padilla and Meloto resigned from the Couples for Christ council in February 2007 to give the council a free hand in resolving the tension between the two of them. According to a close associate of Padilla, the failure of the new council to act on Padilla's concerns caused the split. (The elected members of the Couples for Christ council become automatic heads of Gawad Kalinga.)

The split has reached various corporate and institutional donors that have been supportive of Gawad Kalinga.

Gerardo Ablaza, Jr, chief executive officer of Globe Telecoms, which has sponsored a number of "Globe Villages" all over the country, told Newsbreak that they partnered with Gawad Kalinga because it is "aligned with the values of the company," not because it's a "religious organization."

The GK777 program aims to benefit 700,000 families by building 7,000 communities in seven years, or by the end of 2010.

While the funds and operational set-up needed for these targets will not be a problem, the split will most likely affect the projects’ constant supply of dedicated volunteers from the Couples for Christ.

Beyond Building

A Gawad Kalinga village usually stands out because the houses, which were built by both the house recipients and volunteers, are coated with colorful paints.

It’s a program that goes beyond building houses and donating construction materials. For each village, a "caretaker team" introduces value-formation seminars even before construction begins. After the houses are built, the team would continue to assist the villagers in education (usually a school is built on-site), employment (livelihood projects), and health, among others. This makes Gawad Kalinga unique from other program-based housing projects; it doesn’t intend to leave an area.

The concept has attracted the rich and the do-gooders. They have since been pouring their money into Gawad Kalinga. In 2006 alone, they donated P600 million.

For 2007, GK finance officer Michael Goco expects donations to reach P1 billion, making Gawad Kalinga one of the biggest non-profit organizations in the country. "As of now, getting donation is not a problem," Goco told Newsbreak. "It's more on how we deliver the goods."

And there lies the problem.

The cash donations account for just one-fourth of the total cost of building and maintaining a Gawad Kalinga village, where each house is valued at about P300,000. Donors essentially spend only P75,000 per house since their money is leveraged by the equivalent cost of the donated land, counterpart labor of the beneficiary, and most importantly, the man hours put in by volunteers.

Make or Break

The volunteers play a crucial part because their dedication to being part of the caretaker team can make or break a village.

Companies that have "adopted" Gawad Kalinga villages usually send employees—as part of their corporate social responsibility thrusts and work-life balancing efforts—to help during construction or to facilitate in various "transformation" seminars for villagers (to encourage them to be good neighbors, spouses, and parents). Schools such as the Ateneo, La Salle, and the University of the Philippines have also signed up their students to help out. But these volunteers usually come and go.

Most of those who commit to the program on a long-term basis are the members of Couples for Christ. They tirelessly see the village from conception to birth to its maturity.

Jun Valbuena is one of them. He has been shepherding Gawad Kalinga villages in the Baseco area in Tondo, Manila, since the group built eight colorful homes from the fire that gutted the shanty houses there in 2004.

Now he's been heading the team that tends to 21 villages in the same poor community. He visits the villages at least once a week, occasionally dealing with criminals and drunkards, and egging the parents to help their kids with their homework. "I do this not because I have to, but because I used to be a bad boy myself and I was reformed. This is my ministry."

But with the split, members of Gawad Kalinga have to make a decision: to stay with the current Couples for Christ leaders and continue their work in Gawad Kalinga, or join the breakaway group.

Easter Bunny

The other group is referred to as the Couples For Christ Foundation for Family and Life. They are more popularly known in church circles as the Easter Bunny Group since they openly expressed their concerns about GK on Easter day.

It’s not yet clear how many of the Couples for Christ members will be joining the breakaway group.

Padilla founded Couples for Christ in 1993 after breaking away with its main organization, Ang Ligaya ng Panginoon.

The split is a classic story of how two groups deal with ideological differences within the Catholic faith. At the center of the debate is whether GK should be used as an evangelization tool.

The Easter Bunny Group believes that GK should principally evangelize; other GK leaders prefer to work even with people who don’t strictly adhere to Catholic teachings.

In his open letter, Padilla alleged that Gawad Kalinga has "imposed silence on the connection of Gawad Kalinga to Couples for Christ because of the fear that some potential partners will not want to participate in a work that is ‘religious’.”

He also did not favor Gawad Kalinga's partnerships with corporations and universities that promote birth control and contraceptives, which are frowned upon by the Catholic Church.

"We are so intent on having as many partners as possible that we do not want to risk offending anyone. We are not pushing natural family planning in Gawad Kalinga areas simply because we know some corporate partners are for population control and strongly support the use of contraceptives," Padilla said in the letter. He refused to be interviewed for this story.

Gawad Kalinga was first conceptualized as a means to evangelize and recruit more members into Couples for Christ. The initial project, which was funded by Answering the Cry Of the Poor (Ancop), a foundation based in the US, was in Bagong Silang, Caloocan.

The strategy was to entice poor families to join Couples for Christ as GK builds houses for them and helps them find work. The success of this pilot pushed Couples for Christ to expand its social mission by inviting corporate partners. The rest, as they say, is history.

Meloto told Newsbreak that he and Padilla had been discussing the issues since 2003, the same year that Gawad Kalinga was spun off and registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

God’s Army

Currently, Gawad Kalinga is into lifestyle evangelization, not your typical hard-core Catholic preaching. It's almost equivalent to charm offensive.

The dedicated volunteers share their own life stories when they interact with or facilitate a seminar for the villagers. Those who are moved would be invited to attend the Christian Life Program, a Catholic training for would-be Couples for Christ members.

Meloto explains that although Gawad Kalinga started with a spiritual mission, it need not be rigid in its goal of simply converting villagers into Couples for Christ members. "I realized while doing Gawad Kalinga work that my mission does not end there. It has to be the whole process—from the self, to the family, to the community, to the nation."

Nation building, Meloto said, inevitably involves engaging with other Christian groups and religious organizations.

"God used [Couples for Christ] as an army to build Gawad Kalinga on the ground but that army cannot do it alone. It has to partner with other religious organizations and unite the factions that divide the country. It's not a shift. It's an expansion of the mission."

Padilla disagrees. He raised fears in his letter that the Mormons, for example, would recruit Gawad Kalinga beneficiaries and turn them into their own missionaries.

Meloto's reply: "We are opening to other religions but not compromising our own charism and faith. I told the Mormons, I don't want to go to your church. I don't want to discuss religion. I want to find out what you are doing to the poor." The Mormons help in the water sewerage system of Gawad Kalinga communities....

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    human nature.......envy

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    money + religion = disaster. All we have to do is review history for more precedents.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    One of the reasons why i left the SFC/CFC family here in Orlando is too much politics and BS.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I think GK shouldn't be faulted for working with other denominations, such as the Masonic Order for example. Syempre gumagawa ng mga bahay ang GK eh, natural lang na kailangan nila ng mason, di ba?

Seriously, it is sad that a large religious following had to break up because of mundane differences. Pero personally, I never did put much stock in CFC. May kapitbahay kami na member, lagi kaming niyayayang sumapi sa kanila. My wife narrates how, years ago, that neighbor volunteered to help them build their house, only to cheat them by overpricing the materials and labor involved. It took several touch-up jobs before the house became decent enough for my wife's family to live in (hanggang ngayon nga, may mga lamat pa rin sa walls eh). Yun namang anak niyang dalaga, nabuntis at tinakbuhan. Tapos ngayon, split na ang CFC. It's like the case of fraternities/sororities; I don't need to join some religious group, Catholic or otherwise, just to affirm my spirituality.

I personally prefer the work Gawad Kalinga is doing, even if the Restoration Movement deplores it as "sleeping with the enemy". Yun nga lang, the Catholic bishops will obviously side with Padilla's group, simply because they can relate with the evangelical concerns raised. It's actually pretty ironic to think that CFC itself started as a breakaway group, and now they themselves are becoming divided...
    Last edited by Bogeyman; September 4th, 2007 at 12:11 PM.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    There's a lot of background info on this that can be found here:

http://defendingcfc.blogspot.com/

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    People in CFC and GK should realize that this current row is clearly the work of some dark forces aiming to trounce the goodwill of this community/family based activity of CFC's GK777.
    Managers of GK projects and those involved in dispensing monetary services should ask for more grace and guidance. Money, as always, is a powerful tool of the devil.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    All it comes down to is the bottomline...money. 1 Billion of it. Even the Catholic Church has had scandals when it comes to money. It will corrupt even the gentlest of souls. The other issues are just gravy.

Usap-usapan na talaga sa CFC yan, I have lots of friends there in different chapters. Ayaw lang ilabas sa media, kasi masamang tingnan na ang pinag-aawayan talaga is pera.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    tsk..tsk... money.... iba na kasi ang nakilala kong CFC akala mo sila na perfect na tao sa mundo tapos naging sila sila na lang always magkasama.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    I hope you guys can separate the CFC members from its leaders and not generalize. The vast majority of its members are just people who are looking to do Christ's work, and GK is one of the pillars of their efforts. I'm not personally a member but I can see the good that GK has done, and wouldn't like to see it all go to waste because of a quarrel in the leadership of CfC and that break away group.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
CFC Split over GK