New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    http://business.inquirer.net/money/c...ticle_id=78587

CBCP: What sayeth thou about communists?

By Honesto General
    Inquirer
    Last updated 04:42am (Mla time) 07/25/2007

The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) does not hesitate to enter into the political arena in defense of the laity.

For example, the CBCP asked for the outright repeal of the mining law for environmental reasons. Fortunately for the country, President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo politely listened but, just as politely, turned down the bishops.

On the heels of the May 14 elections, the CBCP put together a seven-point agenda for electoral reform. If the government listens to the bishops, the agenda will keep the political leaders busy for at least the next three years.

The bishops have frowned on the reported tit-for-tat kidnapping of the family of the alleged leader of Father Bossi’s kidnappers.

The bishops have not been able to keep their mouths shut on almost any publicity. But, incredibly, the CBCP has not said one single word about the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP), New People’s Army (NPA) and the communist groups in the cities, such as Bayan Muna, Akbayan, Partido ng Manggagawa, Anak Pawis, Gabriela and Migrante (have I missed anyone?).

It looks like the CBCP views these communist groups in the cities as part of the democratic scene. If so, CBCP is looking at the communist problem from the wrong end.

The United States and the European Union classify the CPP, and its armed component, the NPA, as terrorist organizations. But it is the poorest of the poor laity in the farthest barrios that are in the terror grip of the NPA. Everything that the poor faithful grows and raises -- rice and corn, coconuts and copra, rattan and other forest products, cattle and hogs—are taxed 10 percent by the NPA.

The blood money extorted from the poor at the point of an Armalite rifle ends up in Manila. Someone once told me the communist national treasurer lived in one of the plush villages in Makati. And why not? He certainly can afford the luxury.

The money finances the so-called political struggle in the cities around the country: The public rallies, the TV and radio coverage, and, finally, the party-list candidacies: Some of it probably ends up in Holland to support CPP founder Jose Maria Sison’s luxurious life. The anti-Arroyo rally at the Batasan during the State of the Nation Address last Monday must have cost P1,000 per head.

The Armed Forces estimates the annual take of the NPA in the hundreds of millions of pesos a year. This is probably an exaggeration, but the Communist Party is reputedly the richest political group in the country.

The bishops are the successors of the Apostles. They are the shepherds of the flock. But it looks like the CBCP considers the communists in the cities as the flock. If so, the bishops are wrong. Their real flock is the poor laity in the distant barrios suffering under the terror grip of the NPA.

By saying absolutely nothing against the CPP/NPA terrorist organizations and the communist front groups in the cities, the shepherds have abandoned their flock.

The duty of tending to the flock includes protecting and defending the flock from the wolves that prey on it.

If I were the confessor of the CBCP, I would send them all, as penance for their sins, to the distant barrios to ask the poor laity for forgiveness. Then, and only then, would I grant them absolution.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Wala talagang ginawa maganda ang CBCP. Mahilig makielam ng di dapat. Magdasal na lang kayo para ma-satisfy nyo ang feeling nyo na "holy" kayo kasi part kayo ng CBCP.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    On why the CBCP is quiet regarding the CPP:

Venezuela's president and self-proclaimed communist Hugo Chavez says, even Jesus Christ was an authentic communist himself, being an anti-imperialist and enemy of the oligarchy during his time.

And more recently, Moldova president Vladimir Voronin asserts that Christ was the world's first Communist, adding that there is nothing in the Bible that criticizes Communism.

Last edited by Bogeyman; July 25th, 2007 at 08:20 PM.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    On why the CBCP is quiet regarding the CPP:

Venezuela's president and self-proclaimed communist Hugo Chavez says, even Jesus Christ was an authentic communist himself, being an anti-imperialist and enemy of the oligarchy during his time.

And more recently, Moldova president Vladimir Voronin asserts that Christ was the world's first Communist, adding that there is nothing in the Bible that criticizes Communism.

I've got a really strong personal opinion on this exact matter, but I'm not talking about it here (or anywhere) because all I'd be doing is start a flame war.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Number one reklamador sa CBCP si Bishop Oscar Cruz. Twing may kailangan na kontra political statement takbo agad ang media sa kanya. I wonder why these media men look for people who would love to give a negative statement on our country? May agenda ba mga ito?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    maybe bec. the CBCP knows that what we have in our backyards are just communist-wannabes. for the CBCP, they're just people who were marginalized and neglected by the govt. and our society.

kung tignan hindi naman talaga komunista umasta ang mga NPA natin. certainly not like the Nokors, Chinese or even the former Soviets.

the true ideology of communism is a godless ideology. bakit naman susuportahan ng CBCP ang mga yan?

sa Phil. movies nga eh matatawa ka, mga NPA nagdadasal. Which I believe is very true sa bundok, they still worship the Christian God.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Hahahaha di ko ma-recall san movie meron nito. Valiente ba meron? Hahahaha!!

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    LOL, sa balweg movie yata

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    maybe bec. the CBCP knows that what we have in our backyards are just communist-wannabes. for the CBCP, they're just people who were marginalized and neglected by the govt. and our society.

kung tignan hindi naman talaga komunista umasta ang mga NPA natin. certainly not like the Nokors, Chinese or even the former Soviets.

the true ideology of communism is a godless ideology. bakit naman susuportahan ng CBCP ang mga yan?

sa Phil. movies nga eh matatawa ka, mga NPA nagdadasal. Which I believe is very true sa bundok, they still worship the Christian God.
    My philosophy lessons are a little rusty but I do recall that pure communist ideology or thought is not compatible with any form of religion since the state is the primary focus or object.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    as biased as the article may seem, i think there are some truth to it.

why the hell blame the govt for all the problems of our country? our govt may not be doing a great job (as many may see it) but i really believe that WE ALL (esp the destabilizers) contribute to our own problems. and that we should all contribute to the solution of these problems.

as for the CBCP not saying anything about the NPA or the communists, parang ganyan din nangyayari ngayon with regards to the so called "political killings".

we tend to put all the blame in the govt or military when in fact the CCP or the NPA in particular is also very much capable of doing this. or they are really doing this. remember the Mendiola massacre blamed on the military? well, we all now all know who really did that.

i am not saying the military or the govt is clean. ang susto ko lang sabihin eh lahat tayo ay may baho. walang malinis sa atin kahit na ang CBCP. tao lang din yang mga yan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
CBCP: What sayeth thou about communists?