New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    The self-proclaimed protector of Philippine morality is pushing it again...

MANILA, Philippines—The Catholic Church hierarchy is not about to back down on its campaign to stop the distribution of condoms and is calling for a ban on its advertisements in media and public places, a statement from the influential Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) said Wednesday.

“Condom advertisements should be banned from television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, and public places, as they desensitize the youth's delicate conscience and weaken their moral fiber as future parents,” said Bishop Nereo Odchimar, CBCP president.
    http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/topstor...-on-condom-ads

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Maybe the Catholic Church would first tackle the problems of uncontrolled population growth, alcoholism and drugs... I think those problems are much greater than the morality of condom ads.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    dapat naman talaga i-ban yan wala ka na nga maramdaman tapos parang it violates the sanctity of ***

the thing is kung gusto nyo magpasarap, then be prepared to meet the consequences.

it pushes young people to have *** bec. they're brainwashed to think it's safe pero syempre yun next time dapat mas may thrill, so tanggal din. it doesn't help imho.

if people can't help abstain from *** then so be it, yun curse na ginawa ng irresponsibility nila madadala ng kung sino man mabuo nila if they can't support the child. what goes around, comes around.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    [SIZE=3]Me and my partner is not a fan of condom, I agree its no use because it doesn’t gives satisfaction for the couple, but if this ‘jacket” helps control the growing population then im on it..![/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Yeah we all need to be responsible in every action that we take, but how about those people who are ignorant? Unwanted pregnancy, abortion became common because of lack on *** awareness and possible option to use to avoid those unpredicted result.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    the question is no longer about morality because *** is now pretty common... why?... hhhmm why not get the answer from your self

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by napadpad_lang View Post
    [SIZE=3]Me and my partner is not a fan of condom, I agree its no use because it doesn’t gives satisfaction for the couple, .....[/SIZE]
    If you don't get enough satisfaction, maybe you can try the imported extra thin variety especially the japanese brands.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Apologies for the coming long rant but... is it me or, despite all the advances in the past century, is the Philippines still in the age of the friars? Have the struggles of our revolutionary forefathers to free our country from the grip of the Padre Damasos and Padre Silvas all in vain? Why should government policy be dictated by a single religious group? Whatever happened to separation of Church and State?

Here is my stance: All religions ARE free to teach their members their respective stance on issues. Any religion IS free to strongly encourage its members to follow the norms and moral outlook it has established. However, NO religion should be given any quarter in determining government policy. Otherwise, said religion is no different from the Taliban.

Religion is a personal choice, a set of personal values. Religion is not meant to be a State-imposed set of rules; that's the reason we have civil and criminal laws for people to follow in their secular lives.

=============

Do condoms promote ***ual promiscuity? As far as I know, people have been promiscuous even before the advent of the condom. Do I sanction promiscuity? No. I believe in monogamy and responsible ***, and I believe that every ***ual encounter should be treated seriously. But for those who lack knowledge, and for those who are cavalier in their attitudes to ***, I believe that providing them with information and the devices to protect themselves from diseases and unwanted pregnancies is the responsible thing to do.

I do not subscribe that *** is simply for reproduction. I believe that *** (consensual of course) can be simply for the mutual physiological and emotional benefit of the partners involved (for the ultra-conservative Christians, see the Song of Solomons for how it celebrates *** and sensuality outside of the context of reproduction; and yes, the SoS IS an official part of the Bible).

Is not procreating a sin? I don't think so. In fact, doesn't the RCC support the withdrawal and rhythm methods? Isn't the intent of those methods to prevent pregnancy? Isn't the use of the condom intended to prevent a pregnancy? I see no difference in both intents. I also see no difference that on one hand, you have "natural" methods, and on the other, you have "artificial" methods. In both cases, the intent is to prevent a pregnancy -- i.e. -- both are contraceptive methods.

I AM against abortion and the use of abortifacients, which I consider murder of an already formed human. But I am not against the use of contraceptives as there is no ending of a life involved; life has not yet been created. That is why for me, condoms, IUDs, spermicides, gels, and the rhythm and withdrawal methods are ok. I'm definitely not for the morning after pill or surgical/chemical abortion.

As for the Pill... I still don't know. Based on my readings, The Pill can act as both a contraceptive (prevent sperm and egg from joining) and as an abortifacient (change chemical environ of the womb to prevent implantation of a fertilized egg). I'd personally won't want my mate to use it, but I won't condemn people for using it either.

=============

Though I am for *** education and informing people about what options they have to protect themselves, I am a bit wary of some condom commercials whose intent is to be hip/clever rather than informative. I wish the condom commercials would be a bit more circumspect to help people make mature decisions. As it is, some condom commercials just make fun of (or gloss over) the issue.

I am NOT for the banning of condom commercials, but I would support reviewing the current ones and for the government to come up with information campaigns that are sober and intelligent in their approach to *** education.

=============

Final note:

For me, the bigger problems that the RCC should touch on would be the bad traits that people have that cause so much misery in our country: greed, apathy, laziness, mendicancy, selfishness, lawlessness, disrespect, pride, and envy.

Leave condoms to the government and the NGOs.

/flame_suit_on

7. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalron View Post
    Apologies for the coming long rant but... is it me or, despite all the advances in the past century, is the Philippines still in the age of the friars? Have the struggles of our revolutionary forefathers to free our country from the grip of the Padre Damasos and Padre Silvas all in vain? Why should government policy be dictated by a single religious group? Whatever happened to separation of Church and State?

Here is my stance: All religions ARE free to teach their members their respective stance on issues. Any religion IS free to strongly encourage its members to follow the norms and moral outlook it has established. However, NO religion should be given any quarter in determining government policy. Otherwise, said religion is no different from the Taliban.

Religion is a personal choice, a set of personal values. Religion is not meant to be a State-imposed set of rules; that's the reason we have civil and criminal laws for people to follow in their secular lives.

=============

Do condoms promote ***ual promiscuity? As far as I know, people have been promiscuous even before the advent of the condom. Do I sanction promiscuity? No. I believe in monogamy and responsible ***, and I believe that every ***ual encounter should be treated seriously. But for those who lack knowledge, and for those who are cavalier in their attitudes to ***, I believe that providing them with information and the devices to protect themselves from diseases and unwanted pregnancies is the responsible thing to do.

I do not subscribe that *** is simply for reproduction. I believe that *** (consensual of course) can be simply for the mutual physiological and emotional benefit of the partners involved (for the ultra-conservative Christians, see the Song of Solomons for how it celebrates *** and sensuality outside of the context of reproduction; and yes, the SoS IS an official part of the Bible).

Is not procreating a sin? I don't think so. In fact, doesn't the RCC support the withdrawal and rhythm methods? Isn't the intent of those methods to prevent pregnancy? Isn't the use of the condom intended to prevent a pregnancy? I see no difference in both intents. I also see no difference that on one hand, you have "natural" methods, and on the other, you have "artificial" methods. In both cases, the intent is to prevent a pregnancy -- i.e. -- both are contraceptive methods.

I AM against abortion and the use of abortifacients, which I consider murder of an already formed human. But I am not against the use of contraceptives as there is no ending of a life involved; life has not yet been created. That is why for me, condoms, IUDs, spermicides, gels, and the rhythm and withdrawal methods are ok. I'm definitely not for the morning after pill or surgical/chemical abortion.

As for the Pill... I still don't know. Based on my readings, The Pill can act as both a contraceptive (prevent sperm and egg from joining) and as an abortifacient (change chemical environ of the womb to prevent implantation of a fertilized egg). I'd personally won't want my mate to use it, but I won't condemn people for using it either.

=============

Though I am for *** education and informing people about what options they have to protect themselves, I am a bit wary of some condom commercials whose intent is to be hip/clever rather than informative. I wish the condom commercials would be a bit more circumspect to help people make mature decisions. As it is, some condom commercials just make fun of (or gloss over) the issue.

I am NOT for the banning of condom commercials, but I would support reviewing the current ones and for the government to come up with information campaigns that are sober and intelligent in their approach to *** education.

=============

Final note:

For me, the bigger problems that the RCC should touch on would be the bad traits that people have that cause so much misery in our country: greed, apathy, laziness, mendicancy, selfishness, lawlessness, disrespect, pride, and envy.

Leave condoms to the government and the NGOs.

/flame_suit_on
    you don't need a flame suit digitalron, i'm with you on this one. i really don't get why in the philippines religion has a huge impact on just about every thing, especially on politics.

you couldn't have said this better:
    "Religion is a personal choice, a set of personal values. Religion is not meant to be a State-imposed set of rules; that's the reason we have civil and criminal laws for people to follow in their secular lives."
    when i was reading this it felt like i was the one typing it.

back on topic:
    i really hate using condoms but i don't think they should ban the condom advertisements, i think that they just need to change it to an educational ad. rather than ***ual. there are a lot of uneducated filipinos that need to know family planning and the use of condoms.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    the catholic church should be banned from making comments if they didn't know any better . . .don't get me wrong, i'm a catholic, i just don't understand a lot of their teachings

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    [SIZE="3"]If the Catholic Church wants to meddle in politics, maybe they should start paying taxes to the government as well?[/SIZE]

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    [SIZE="3"]If the Catholic Church wants to meddle in politics, maybe they should start paying taxes to the government as well?[/SIZE]
    And that should shut them up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Catholic Church seeks ban on condom ads