New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Would you accept a higher paying job but with a lower position?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 46.15%
  • No

0 0%
  • Depends. (Give considerations.)

7 53.85%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    it really depends on your career goals -- salary shouldn't be the only compelling factor. think about the kind of work experience and contacts you would get from the job. that imho has more far reaching effects than salary.

some jobs kasi, masisilaw ka sa taas ng sweldo, pero you end up getting trapped in the sense that you really have very few career options once tumanda ka na.

2. FrankDrebin Guest
    Ok lang. If I really need the money for my myself/family and not concerned with the job title then the answer is yes.

Pero kung ikababaksak ng future ng career mo at hindi kaya ng iyong pride chicken ang job title then the answer is no.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i'd accept the job for situations A and B. i'd stick to status quo kung C and D ang offer sakin.

nangyari na sakin yung C and D (pero similar situation lang).

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by badkuk
    it really depends on your career goals -- salary shouldn't be the only compelling factor. think about the kind of work experience and contacts you would get from the job. that imho has more far reaching effects than salary.

some jobs kasi, masisilaw ka sa taas ng sweldo, pero you end up getting trapped in the sense that you really have very few career options once tumanda ka na.
    i'd agree with this...

this made me think about my job back then at ABS-CBN. frankly, the pay & benefits is very good. but I feel that am just one of the faceless workers there.

unlike where I am now, I get to deal and talk up to the level of our CEO & CFO. plus, the experience that you get is very varied and rich.

remember, being happy with your work environment should be one of the factors since you'll be spending at least a third of the day at your office.

5. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    yes, if the company is bigger and if there is a bigger room for career advancement

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Uyyy ano to??? hehe lilipat kang position o alis ka na dito? :D :D

Question, kung rinefer mo sarili mo, may referral fee ka kaya sa company? :P

Put me down for a "yes" if the salary is large enough. As long as may direction ang company and may advancement ka, definitely yes.

Titles mean nothing to me, depende sa company, maganda man title mo and "ladder" level mo, if you're not getting paid your worth, sayang lang panahon mo. You don't stay in the "marketable" age level that long, sa dami na qualified na jobless na tao, take advantage of offers.

Ewan ko lang, I never forget what I am kung nagwowork ako for a company, I'm a human RESOURCE. Just like any resource, it should be maximized and used well... Kung may mas magandang offer while i'm still being maximized, I'll take that over any "good environment" dahil nagbabago yun...

Malaking factor din ang current lifestyle mo. When I was still single, importante sweldo ang "title", nung may asawa, medyo ganun padin, medyo issue ang stability. Kung may anak ka na, you look for a company that values you the most. By value, I peg that at how much they're willing to commit to me sa package nila and my advancement. Kung binabarat ka (if you're just paid at par or below its competitors), I don't see that as a goodwill from them.

Malaking factor din ang supply of your skill. Kung madaming tao ang kaparehas mo na skillset, mahihirapan ka magadvance or find a better paying job na ikaw makakadiskarte sa sweldo mo. If you're in a field na sobrang konti ang supply and you're one of the few that has really good credentials, then mas may flexibility ka sa demands mo...

I'm quite glad eto field ko dahil iilan lang ang mga kaagaw ko sa job... Usually kakilala ko din hehe... Big factor, laking leverage.
    Last edited by theveed; August 17th, 2004 at 07:46 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    .Kung stable lang din naman yong company na lilipatan ko..i would accept it.

nangyari yan sa akin sa company namin... I used to be a Technical Consultant...tapos nung nag re-org kami naging Analyst na lang title ko...kung titingnan mo..parang na demote ako..pero hey..i got a 20+% salary increase
    for that reason... so kung sa susunod papalitan nung company ko yong title ko uli..say programmer na lang... at with 20% salary increase... di ako magdadalawang isip...hehe...

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Parang ganito ang nangyari sa akin. Malaki na ang pay ko kasya dati. Pero at the expense of:

- no title since contracted na lang ako.
    - baka hindi na ako makabalik sa local workforce. dahil kakaiba skillset ko.
    - next month baka wala na akong contract.

plus is:

- i can work at home
    - i can work anytime
    - less work hours

I wonder kung tama kaya naging career move ko. Essentially I have cut myself from my career path and move to running my own small business. This is my plan, pero I did not expect this to happen so soon. Mag 2 years na akong ganito so far ok pa naman.

So nawalan ako ng position in exchange for a bigger pay and lifestyle.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by baiskee
    kung mas mataas, why not?

maganda lang pakinggan "manager" na title...

pero kung mas mataas ang sweldo kahit driver lang...payag na ko. :D
    I Agree!!! correct.... definitely ill accept the job... Sa panahon ngayon.. napakahirap kumita... lalo na at lahat ng bilihin medyo may kamahalan na talaga...

Well in these times, It would not be wise to turn down a higher paying job (w/ a lower position), I mean with the endless oil price hike and an unstable economy we could surely use the extra cash. But also you would consider the environment and type of work you will be going to. Would you like your work? Would you get along with your fellow employees? How will your boss treat you? How are the benefits? Is this salary a "fixed" salary or is there room for promotion? Well there are a lot of factors to consider changing career paths.

Well for me as long as it has to do with computers regardless whether hardware or software, i'd be satisfied.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Career Question: What do you prefer?