The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Air Force graft, unrest bared
    Colonel threatened with arrest

First posted 10:52pm (Mla time) Jan 03, 2006
    By Alcuin Papa
    Inquirer

Editor's Note: Published on page A1 of the January 4, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

AN AIR FORCE colonel yesterday said that generals and wing commanders in the Philippine Air Force (PAF) were "illegally" receiving monthly allowances of P45,000 each on top of their salaries.

Colonel Efren Daquil also confirmed grumbling in the military.

"I have direct knowledge that Air Force generals, the wing commanders, are given P45,000 a month over and above their salaries and other allowances. I would like to know if CGPAF (commanding general of the PAF) is authorized to dole out this allowance," said Daquil.

The allowance, according to him, is called the Direct Support Fund (DSF.)

Denying Daquil's allegations, the PAF said the colonel would be taken into custody and possibly charged for giving interviews without permission.

Air Force spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Restituto Padilla said Daquil would be restricted to quarters, investigated and possibly charged with violating two Articles of War, specifically conduct unbecoming an officer.

"If truth is unbecoming, then I'm willing to be jailed," said Daquil, former deputy wing commander of the PAF 710th Special Operations Wing based at Clark, in Pampanga province.

The colonel asked the PAF commanding general, Lieutenant General Jose Reyes, to explain where P30 million in savings from his (Daquil's) stint as chief of PAF Personnel Office in 2004 went.

Daquil, wearing the blue uniform of the PAF, seemed nervous at first and admitted to reporters that it was his first time to face the media.

"I want to air my frustrations. I'm sick and tired of the malpractice. I am not accusing the CGPAF of corruption. I just want him to explain where the money (P30 million) went. I have no idea where they used it," the 54-year-old Daguil said at a press conference.

Department of Budget regulations require that "personnel services funds cannot be diverted to any object class," he said.

Daquil explained that the savings came from the salaries of soldiers who either had gone AWOL (absent without official leave), resigned or taken early retirement.

Daquil said Colonel Alexander Flores of PAF logistics brought the papers to his office "and had me sign the concurrence (for the release)."

"When Colonel Flores approached me and said CG needed money and I was the only one with savings, they asked me if they could use the amount. I said that if the purpose was good and if the purpose was for the people, then I was OK with it. He (Flores) said it was for the people so I concurred," Daquil said.

PMA Class of 1976

A member of Philippine Military Academy (PMA) Class of 1976, Daquil said that after the Oakwood mutiny in 2003, he thought that unauthorized allowances for star officers would be abolished.

He revealed that deputy wing commanders like himself received only an additional allowance of P8,500 a month. "It's illegal. I'm receiving a P8,500 additional allowance, which I kept in a bank. I cannot touch it and if the CGPAF will require me to return it by tomorrow I can.

"I hope all these concerned officers will be brave enough to admit it because telling the truth is the only way that we can implement changes in the Armed Forces."

Not for liquidation

Asked if Reyes could also be receiving the same big allowance, Daquil said: "If wing commanders receive the allowance, how much more the CGPAF."

He said he did not know what the additional allowance was for. "It's not for liquidation. It's not in the budget appropriation. It's not in the payslip. CGPAF authorized it and it came from the PAF comptroller. I signed a receipt but it was only in a journal," Daquil said.

The average foot soldier fighting in the frontlines receives a combat allowance of P240 a month.

Coup

Daquil also said that he was approached thrice by so-called "rebels" who invited him to join a coup, the last time in September. But he said that while he had grievances, he still wanted a peaceful avenue to air his complaints.

"Yes, I was approached by some rebel groups and I ignored them. In fact, when I was approached I immediately told the CGPAF that I was being recruited by the rebels. He said 'Just let them be and ignore them.' That's it."

He said talking to the media was a peaceful means to effect change.

"If I join a coup, I might get killed. There are those who are disgruntled. They just don't want to come out. I hope there will be others who will come out. This is the most opportune time considering our political situation. There must be change in the system, not exactly the leadership," he said.

All accounted for

The PAF spokesperson told reporters that the P30 million in savings went to the DBM. "The amount is all accounted for and there are records."

Asked what the amount was used for, Padilla said he would have to consult PAF records for the answer.

On the "illegal" allowances, Padilla said there was no "irregularity."

"It's part of the officers' MOE (maintenance and operating expenses). That goes to the maintenance of their offices like buying office paper and supplies. Sometimes they (senior officers) travel. As commanders, they go places and meet people," he said.

Padilla warned that the Air Force command would take action against Daquil for making his statements. "For having given those statements to the media and breaking the chain of command, he (Daquil) will be charged accordingly."

Relieved for no reason

Daquil said he was relieved on December 10 "for no reason." He is now on floating status.

"I talked to the CG and he said it (Daquil's relief) was for my own good. He said the environment is bad," he said.

Padilla said Daquil's statements were just sour grapes. "He was given the position as deputy of the 2nd Tactical Operations Wing based in Mactan. But that was not his choice. He wanted to become commander."

Daquil also said the "bata-bata" (favoritism) system in the PAF was still very much alive. "There are officers who jump above more senior officers. To say that the Board of Senior Officers has a say in the appointments is false. The CGPAF is dictating who will be positioned. These were the same complaints of the Oakwood rebels."

On the chain of command, Daquil said "you know there are advantages and disadvantages to the chain of command. In the military, when you say chain of command you just follow the orders and complain later.

"The CGPAF can always say 'Why are you asking me this?' Do I have the heart to ask him that?"

He has not heard of any case that has been resolved by the so-called "grievance mechanism" in the Armed Forces, according to Daquil.

He said he had no intention of making general. "I don't want to be a general because I will be powerful and I will be corrupt."

In a statement, the PAF said Daquil's allegation of favoritism in AFP promotions and designations was "unfounded as the command strictly adheres to AFP regulations on the promotion system and all designations pass through a board of senior officers where personal merit and performance are the primary criteria.

Daquil is the latest in a line of military officers who brought complaints about the military before journalists, then were charged and detained.

The 117,000-strong military has been struggling with restiveness and has a recent history of uprisings. It played key roles in the ouster of the dictator Ferdinand Marcos in 1986 and President Joseph Estrada in 2001. With a report from The Associated Press.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Same old story, mga KAWATAN!!!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    diyan din mapupunta ang e-vat natin.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just show evidence. . . . like what they did with General Garcia, and he was tried and found guilty. . ..

but to go to the media and accuse them of wrongdoing. . .. THAT IS THE EASIEST THING TO DO . . . any fool can do that. . . .

bribed Air Force generals?