New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I initially planned to open a dollar acct with Citibank, but was warned of their charges.

so i opted to BPI instead, but i saw HSBC.

I plan to open a multi-currency bank account. I saw HSBC but got quite confused with what they really require.

Here's the thing, I might be travelling around and i need something to put my money to for safekeeping. I'll be earning in USD but seeing that Euro is more stable, i plan to convert those USDs to Euro. Is that a good idea?

So, which?

Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    The rates for both HSBC and BPI are both pretty low - pangit ang interest rates on your deposit and the exchange rates as well.

Mas ok lang ang HSBC sa service. Medyo primitive pa kasi ang BPI.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    lahat naman ng banks mababa ang interest rate, kung injterest rate ang habol mo then do not put your money in the bank. since you say you will be travelling around what you should look at is the charges when making overseas atm widrawals. some charge a fixed x$ for widrawals (but this will have a maximum x$ transaction also), some charge x$ for every $100/200/etc. also if you intend to use your atm card as a cash card (visa electron, etc) check out also their charges for purchases made with the atm card. see also if there is a charge when the card is rejected for use for purchases.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if you'll be travelling a lot and will use the services of a bank while abroad, then mag HSBC ka na. they have branches everywhere.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    pls ask BPI ALFM dollar fund...higher yield the regular TD.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    HSBC. Transactions, $ wiring, transfer, mabilis. Charges, reasonable. Pero syempre kung maari sana choose Pinoy.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    HSBC is better for international traveller's. Plus their internet banking is more secure. They don't charge when withdrawing in other ATMS. Their foreign currency time deposits have higher interest rates. Low interest rates on Philippine Peso time deposits.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for all the comments. I'm actually not that familiar with these banks so i thank you all for the "new" info.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    if you'll be travelling a lot and will use the services of a bank while abroad, then mag HSBC ka na. they have branches everywhere.

Agree here. And, since I read in one of the threads that you will be travelling a lot, then definitely HSBC is for you, IMHO.

1901:nolurk:

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006

BPI vs HSBC, which is the better bank?