New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    my niece's surname in her birth certificate was spelled wrongly. instead of having her surname written down in 1 word, it was unfortunately subdivided into 2 (medyo mahaba kasi at sa probinsya pa 'to ginawa). right now, this error has come back to haunt her because her diplomas and such are not in sync w/ the nso birth certificate she recently obtained. what to do?

i have been told that only a court order may rectify this error but others say that the acting town registrar where the original birth certificate was issued should be informed of the mistake and he/she would be the one to direct the nso to make things right. which is which? pls advise

2. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    well i have almost the same problem, but it was not the by wrong spelling actually it was right and i have been using in all of my other records a different spelling, in my birth certificate the spelling of my name is j-a-y-m-e but in all of my other records except for the passport is spelled j-a-m-i-e, (nung kumuha lang ako nung passport tsaka ko lang nalaman na jayme pala spelling ng jamie ko) so ang ginagawa ko palagi is pag nagaaply ay sinasamahan lang ng affidavit yun bang to certify na the name jayme and the name jamie is one and the same person blah blah blah.. basta may tawag sa affidavit na yun tapos ok na. kaysa magpapalit ka pa ng spelling na sobrang hassle, just my exp but any other solution you can try.hope this helps.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    iirc you need to file in court a petition for correction of entries to remedy the clerical error since it involves your niece's surname. a copy of the court order granting the correction should be furnished to the registrar. you need to file the petition in the regional trial court where the town registrar is located. hth.

esmi ko din may b-cerificate prob...gender prob to be exact: MALE nakalagay!

pero sa NSO copy lang naman, sa local provincial(place of birth) copy female siya...pinapaayos ko nga,e....hirap lang wala na yung nurse/Dr/anybody na gumawa nun....

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    This info may help, but the process still takes a long time....I've heard 8-12 months due to the long backlog.

http://www.census.gov.ph/data/civilreg/ps04112001.html
    http://www.census.gov.ph/data/civilreg/ra9048.html
    http://www.census.gov.ph/data/civilr...merra9048.html

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    try mo muna sa town registrar kasi madali dun, since space lang naman ang error, baka i-approve na yan, if not then tsaka ka nalang mag-file ng court order which takes a more time to process.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    edit: for first name error only. the info on the links that hifi provided are correct. if it's a simple clerical error and can be seen clearly on the face of birth certificate, your remedy is to make a petition and send it to civil registrar where your niece was originally registered. the civil registrar there is empowered to make the correction. there should be no need for a judicial petition. of course matagal pa rin proseso, but at least it doesn't have to go through the court.

a possible remedy would be for her to adopt the misspelled name on the birth certificate and and ask the school to change their school records. many schools allow this since they know of the problem. hope this helps, good luck! it's strange to have to use a different name, but many people adopt this simple solution.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 170kphlang View Post
    ...basta may tawag sa affidavit na yun tapos ok na. kaysa magpapalit ka pa ng spelling na sobrang hassle, just my exp but any other solution you can try.hope this helps.
    Thats what you call an affidavit of correction/clarification of name. I had mine furnished at the RTC. Misspelled kasi ang name ko sa Baptismal Certificate. Humingi lang ng supporting document atsaka meron "witness."

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    afaik RA 9048 on administrative correction of entries in the civil register involves the clerical correction of the first name or nick name only.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    i stand corrected. tsupermario is correct. if it's surname which is a problem, the remedy is a special proceeding of correction of entries in civil registry to correct the error under Rule 108 of the Supreme Court. kailangang mag-file ng petition sa court, publication in a newspaper, etc. sorry for the mistake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Birth Certificate Problem