New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    BE ready. Better yet, believe it or not.

The Philippine Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) issued this call yesterday to Metro Manila residents following a study showing that a 7.2 magnitude earthquake could hit the metropolis anytime and could kill at least 147,000 people in seconds.

In an interview, PHI-VOLCS Director Renato Solidum said the study was conducted and sponsored by the Japan International Cooperation Agency in cooperation with the Metro Manila Development Authority and PHI-VOLCS.
    more: http://www.journal.com.ph/news.asp?p...y=28&year=2004

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    This should be taken seriously. Preventive measures will save lives and livelihood rather than to react when the situation has already happened........

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    OMG, is this for real? well lets just pray na d manyari...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    As if anything will be done... there are buildings in Manila collapsing without the help of earthquakes... the building code is a joke!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Question, diba wla pang way sa munda to predict an earthquake since it's not a "trackable" phenomenon? If nadedetect yan in advance, Japan would've prevented a lot of their disasters, including the most recent one.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tama sir_theeved pero yung mga fault lines namo-monitor kung saan ang kung gaano sila kalalawak. dapat ma-strengthen yung mga structures along the fault lines just to prevent a catastrophe in case of quakes.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    scary. btw, i was in manila during the big baguio quake (i think it was '91 - not sure). we were in quezon city and the shaking came and went very quickly...it was very scary while it lasted though.

it was only till later when we saw the death and devastation further north - very sad.

it's ironic because i'm from earthquake central (california) and never experienced a major quake until i went halfway around the world

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by theveed
    Question, diba wla pang way sa munda to predict an earthquake since it's not a "trackable" phenomenon? If nadedetect yan in advance, Japan would've prevented a lot of their disasters, including the most recent one.
    yes, earthquakes are not "trackable", but I do believe that "experts" from all over the world has been studying fault lines/tectonic plate movements all over the world. And one of these major fault lines is located here in Pinas, AFAIK.

And thru these "movements" and past earthquakes, they can deduce a pattern and from there can make a "guesstimate" of the possibility of an earthquake hitting a particular area on a particular scope of date.

my worthless 2 cents

PS. but I believe that PHILVOCS should not have made such press releases, they should have warned concerned government agencies. Pinoy are so alarmist and it's not serving us good.
    Last edited by artpogi; October 29th, 2004 at 12:37 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Earthquakes are inevitable along major fault lines.. its just a matter of time....

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    syet, nasa 30 something floor pa naman yung office namin dito. gaano kalakas yung mararamdaman dito in case this happens. scary thought.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
The Big Earthquake coming soon?