New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    [SIZE=3]BERNARD HOPKINS BATTLES WINKY WRIGHT[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Two of boxing's most notable fighters face off on Saturday July 21 at 9:00 PM ET/ 6:00 PM PT, live on HBO Pay-Per-View[/SIZE]

When boxing historians look back at the current era of boxing, two names will stand out among the finest of this generation -- Bernard Hopkins and Winky Wright. But for these fierce competitors, being one of the elite isn't enough. On Saturday, July 21st, at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, live on HBO Pay-Per-View, Hopkins and Wright will battle one another to claim supremacy.

"I'm back and my record speaks for itself," said Hopkins, the former undisputed middleweight champion whose Ring magazine light heavyweight belt will be on the line in this 170-pound bout. "I was champion for over ten years, had 20 defenses and a win over a man they said was the best light heavyweight in the world, Antonio Tarver. Winky Wright is a good fighter, but I'm a great fighter, and I'll prove that once again on July 21st."

"I'm glad that Bernard stepped up to the plate to fight me when no one else wanted to take the challenge and I respect him for that," said Wright. "But that will all go out the window when we step into the ring on July 21st. I'm younger, faster, stronger and better than Hopkins and he knows it."

A true legend of the game and a future Hall of Famer, the Philadelphia native Bernard 'The Executioner' Hopkins (47-4-1, 32 KOs) ruled the middleweight division for over a decade and defended his title a record 20 times, defeating the likes of Oscar De La Hoya, Felix Trinidad, William Joppy, and Glen Johnson. In 2005, he would lose his title in controversial fashion to Jermain Taylor, and after another disputed loss in their rematch, many believed Hopkins' best days had passed. But in June of 2006, at the age of 41, the Philadelphia native moved up in weight for the first time in his career and was brilliant dominating the top 175-pound fighter in the world, Antonio Tarver, en route to a lopsided decision win. Hopkins announced his retirement immediately following his monumental accomplishment but shortly thereafter, decided he was still physically and mentally capable of fighting big fights against his elite peers. On July 21st, Hopkins will again look to show the world that age "ain't nothin' but a number" when he takes on Winky Wright.

The pride of St. Petersburg, Florida, 35-year old southpaw Winky Wright (51-3-1, 25 KOs) took the long road to boxing stardom. A standout amateur, Wright was forced to go overseas to get fights in the early part of his career, but it was in his opponents' backyards that he learned the finer points of the game and developed the mental toughness that led him to the world junior middleweight title in 2001. Wright would defend his title six times (including two wins over Shane Mosley) before moving up to the middleweight division and nearly shutting out Felix Trinidad in 2005 in one of the most masterful performances in years. Two fights later, Wright would fight to a controversial draw with Jermain Taylor in a fight most believed he won, but with a win over former world champion Ike Quartey last December, Wright is back in the win column and ready for his showdown with 'The Executioner.'

HBO
    Last edited by awing; July 15th, 2007 at 03:32 PM.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    matanda na si hopkins.sana winky wright-jermaine taylor nalang pinaglaban nila

Napanuod ko sa TVP kahapon, kay Coach Freddy Roach din pala si Hopkins nagtraining...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    :boo: this could be the most boring fight ever :D

5. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    promises to be one of the most boring high profile fights!

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    hopkins for me... walang boring na boxer si freddie roach

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    wala ba?try bobby pacquiao :boring:

8. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by docpete View Post
    hopkins for me... walang boring na boxer si freddie roach
    can roach make hopkins an exciting fighter in 3 mos???

hopkins and wright are two of the most intelligent and tactical boxers in the game. can't see an exciting fight between them. only hardcore fans can appreciate their genius. not casual fans.

dela hoya, pacquiao, morales, barrera, etc. --> these are exciting fighters known by casual fans.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    ^+1
    imo there wasn't much excitement during the jermaine taylor vs. winky wright fight. i don't think hopkins can fare better than taylor in this aspect unless winky drops his defense and decides to slug it out.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    That would be an exciting fight provided hindi pera-pera at mag mukhang sparring.
    Winky Wright ako. Pero kung mga 5 years ago – kay Hopkins ako.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Bernard Hopkins Battles Winky Wright