New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I feel like Ateneo won't be the same anymore when it goes coed. If I have a son in the future, Ateneo will be off the list I have high regard for Ateneo GS & HS education pa naman. I wonder how this pushed through.

It's official: Ateneo De Manila High School will accept its first female students beginning school year 2016-2017, in line with the Loyola institution's reforms towards compliance with the national K-12 program.

In a memo addressed to the University Community on Friday, March 13, Ateneo University President Fr. Jett Villarin, SJ, broke news of a "landmark decision" - referring to the creation of a Senior High School - for Grades 11 and 12 - distinguished from the current high school structure for Grades 7 to 10.

The memo recalled that "at its meeting on 7 February 2015, the (Ateneo) Board of Trustees approved the opening of the Senior High School (SHS) in school year 2016-2017. The creation of the SHS is a milestone in our ongoing K-12 Basic Education Reform program. This completes the planned restructuring of our basic education program into six years of grade school and six years of high school. By schoolyear 2016-17, the Ateneo High School will then be composed of four years of junior high school (grades 7 to 10) and two years of senior high school (grades 11 to 12)."

Fr. Villarin then added that "in school year 2016-2017, Ateneo de Manila will begin a senior high school that will be open to the incoming Ateneo grade 11 boys, plus 300 more students from other schools outside the Ateneo High School."

The 300 new entrants - "both boys and girls" - will be accepted "from public, parochial and select private schools all over the country."

The co-ed classes in Ateneo de Manila High will initially be limited to the new Senior High School program - that is, for Grades 11 and 12. "The Ateneo Grade School and the Junior High School remain to be exclusive schools for boys," the memo stressed.

The memo concluded: "In view of our desire to provide quality education and leadership formation for those coming mainly from the public school system, 100 scholarship grants will be offered in the Senior High School to academically gifted but financially challenged students."

Fr. Villarin said application requirements and other information will be announced in due time and posted on the Ateneo website (Ateneo de Manila University | Ateneo de Manila University).

Below is the transcript of the full memo from Fr. Villarin, dated March 13, 2015:

© Provided by InterAksyon
    Memo to: The University Community

Subject: Opening of the Senior High School in SY 2016-2017

I am pleased to inform you of a landmark decision. At its meeting on 7 February 2015, the Board of Trustees approved the opening of the Senior High School (SHS) in school year 2016-2017.

The creation of the SHS is a milestone in our ongoing K-12 Basic Education Reform program. This completes the planned restructuring of our basic education program into six years of grade school and six years of high school. By schoolyear 2016-17, the Ateneo High School will then be composed of four years of junior high school (grades 7 to 10) and two years of senior high school (grades 11 to 12).

Moreover, in school year 2016-2017, Ateneo de Manila will begin a senior high school that will be open to the incoming Ateneo grade 11 boys, plus 300 more students from other schools outside the Ateneo High School. The 300 additional new entrants, both boys and girls, will be chosen from public, parochial and select private schools all over the country. In view of our desire to provide quality education and leadership formation for those coming mainly from the public school system, 100 scholarship grants will be offered in the Senior High School to academically gifted but financially challenged students.

Application requirements and other information will be announced in due time and posted on the Ateneo website (www.ateneo.edu).Â

The co-ed nature of the Senior High School is part of preparation for college. I would like to assure the community, including our alumni, that the Ateneo Grade School and the Junior High School remain to be exclusive schools for boys.

Let us continue to pray to God for the grace of openness and courage as we make these crossings in our shared vocation to form our youth, the future of our nation and of the world.

ad majorem Dei gloriam,

Jose Ramon T Villarin SJ

President

2. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    never really liked exclusive schools. mga students kasi nila usually pag all boys karamihan either bading, torpe or d-bag. pag all girls naman either tibo or malandi. di ko nilalahat ha pero karamihan. kaya ako mga anak ko never ko ipapasok sa mga exclusive schools. parents ko pilit ako dati pinag eenroll sa ateneo pero tinanggihan ko talaga sabi ko kung pipilitin nila ako mag entrance exam ibabagsak ko lang kaya wag na nila ipilit.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterx View Post
    parents ko pilit ako dati pinag eenroll sa ateneo pero tinanggihan ko talaga sabi ko kung pipilitin nila ako mag entrance exam ibabagsak ko lang kaya wag na nila ipilit.
    My brother wanted to go to UP for college but my parents would not allow him. It has to be a Catholic school preferably boys only.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    dati naman na meron girls sa ateneo HS, "male" lang nga nakalagay sa birth certificate

this is actually good news to me as i plan to have my eldest study in ateneo. ilipat ko na sa senior high years nya then tuloy na sa college. not because i find ateneo the best, but they do have the better volleyball team (and heard good sports scholarship program, too). my daughter is 13 y.o., 5'8" tall and plays in her HS volleyball team. coach nila coach din sa ust and she is already wooing my daughter to transfer to uste. ust? ateneo? more choices da better!

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Ateneo ka na sir.
    Dating UST High sina allysa valdez at yung santiago sisters. Asan na sila ngayon?

Biro mo kung yung 3 nag stay sa UST noon, baka laging nasa finals sila.

Mas ok daw kasi "benefits" sa ibang school, kesa uste. Kurips daw kasi.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Bakit naman cathy?

If magka anak ako mas gusto ko na co-ed school niya.

Para balanse ang mundo niya. Since malaking panahon ang igugol niya sa school years niya.

I'm sure the quality of education is still there for ateneo kahit gawin pang co-ed yan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    dati naman na meron girls sa ateneo HS, "male" lang nga nakalagay sa birth certificate

this is actually good news to me as i plan to have my eldest study in ateneo. ilipat ko na sa senior high years nya then tuloy na sa college. not because i find ateneo the best, but they do have the better volleyball team (and heard good sports scholarship program, too). my daughter is 13 y.o., 5'8" tall and plays in her HS volleyball team. coach nila coach din sa ust and she is already wooing my daughter to transfer to uste. ust? ateneo? more choices da better!
    AdMU na yan. hehe

She'll lear from the best coach right now.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    My brother wanted to go to UP for college but my parents would not allow him. It has to be a Catholic school preferably boys only.
    college is ok kasi coed naman na college nan pero elementary and hs no way.

Quote Originally Posted by cast_no_shadow View Post
    Bakit naman cathy?

Para balanse ang mundo niya. Since malaking panahon ang igugol niya sa school years niya.

I'm sure the quality of education is still there for ateneo kahit gawin pang co-ed yan.

this i agree with, yung mga teachers and staff nan yon pa din naman na dagdagan lang naman ng students na babae.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    college is ok kasi coed naman na college nan pero elementary and hs no way.

Quote Originally Posted by cast_no_shadow View Post
    Bakit naman cathy?

this i agree with, yung mga teachers and staff nan yon pa din naman na dagdagan lang naman ng students na babae.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I was co-ed all the way, wala namang difference sa quality. I'd like to think I turned out okay in terms of my education.

My only reservation is a co-ed grade school. Sa amin nung grade school, maraming maagang lumandi, as in grade 5-6 palang may bf/gf na.

For my future kids, preferably it'll be Ateneo/LSGH/Poveda/AC for grade school, Pisay for high school, and UP/ADMU for college.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    as an alum of the ahs, i'm actually on the fence w/ regards to this new development. but my niece is planning to transfer there when she reaches prep school so i guess the jesuits know what they're doing

pero baka sa tingin ko baka ma-culture shock iyong pamangkin kong iyon kasi hindi uso ang airconditioned class rooms sa high school campus
    Last edited by baludoy; March 14th, 2015 at 09:33 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast