New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I've been doing some yard work. I noticed there's a distinct lack of predators (spiders, scorpions, etc). All I saw were grasshoppers and ants. I would guess this year has been too moist because of all the rain.

Not seeing ANY spider or scorpion is definitely not normal. Maybe it's the hot peppers (planted by the previous tenant) that's keeping them away.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; October 12th, 2014 at 12:46 AM.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ganun pala iyon. i didn't know that as a spider gets bigger, it gets less dangerous pala.

the things one learns everyday

3. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    wala akong phobia sa gagamba, instead i fight them. para rin yang sabong, malaki ang pustahan

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    ganun pala iyon. i didn't know that as a spider gets bigger, it gets less dangerous pala.

the things one learns everyday
    That's just potency of the venom. When it comes to bites, the bigger the spider, the more painful its bite.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2013
    A US couple were forced to abandon their dream home after it was overrun by thousands of venomous spiders.

Brian and Susan Trost fled their $450,000 (£280,000) Missouri home in the upmarket suburban neighbourhood of Weldon Spring after it became infested with up to 6,000 brown recluse spiders.
    https://ph.news.yahoo.com/6-000-veno...111926646.html

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    That's just potency of the venom. When it comes to bites, the bigger the spider, the more painful its bite.
    do all of them bite?

i never really feared them critters but i do give them a huge leeway whenever i come across them

btw, i used to trek mountains (i'd like to get back into it too) and pitch tents in beaches but i've never encountered a local tarantula. where can you find them exactly? just curious

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    do all of them bite?

i never really feared them critters but i do give them a huge leeway whenever i come across them

btw, i used to trek mountains (i'd like to get back into it too) and pitch tents in beaches but i've never encountered a local tarantula. where can you find them exactly? just curious
    Many spiders don't bite if you just let them crawl on your arm. If you try to grab them or if they get trapped inside your shirt, they'll feel threatened and will bite.

I have no problems with letting most spiders in the Philippines crawl on my arms. The same goes for tarantulas. But, their hair can be irritating sometimes.

I live in Arizona. Desert tarantulas are normally everywhere. But, it's been a mild and rainy year. I haven't seen one since moving back here. They're probably living where it's dry.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2014

nung elementary kami, nang huhuli kami ng gagambang saging yung malaki at matigas na uri ng gagamba kulay dilaw at itim tapos yung sapot nya sobrang pagkit matatagpuan mo lang sha sa mga sagingan pag naka kuha kami nun pag lalabanin namin pustahan namin e yung mga nutriban namin.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by monty_GTV View Post
    I remember when I first arrived in the PH. I played with the shantytown kids who taught me how to recognize the web of those spiders (orb weavers?). They* also showed me where the spiders slept during the day. If I remember well, they're found most among mangrove leaves and banana plants the latter of which the orange orb weavers seem to prefer.

I caught a big beautiful hairy orange one from a banana tree. By that time, I was used to handling spiders. When I coaxed the orange spider out of its shelter and onto my palm, the first thing it did was sink its fangs into my skin. I jerked my hand in surprise which forced the spider to let go.

I knew spiders have venom. But, since I didn't show any symptoms of poisoning, I shrugged it off. I sold the thing to an older kid who gave me 2 pesos for it.

*They also showed me how to take a matchbox and compartmentalize it so I can keep more than one spider in it.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; October 13th, 2014 at 01:23 PM.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    do all of them bite?

meron akong dalawang kilala from PTSS (Philippine Tarantula and Scorpion Society) na may account dito sa tsikot pero inactive na.

9 species pa lang ang alam ko sa mga local natin. alam ko meron pang mga bagong natuklasan.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Arachnophobia